Crakin Sea Troot

Fishing has been as poor as ive ever seen it up here due to lack of rain and high river temp ...plenty of fish at sea and we are starting to see a few now the nets are off ...headed out tonight with my young lad for a craic at a few finnock ....spotted a few fish in a pool and ended up with 2 grilse and a 6-7lb sea troot what a fight on a #4... 7 footer all returned

post-88284-0-77635100-1378593217_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

It's about time the fishery boards worked out why there has been so many of them shitty parallel grilse running rivers across the country...

1 theory is that there is less feeding at sea for them due to over fishing of their prey species and could also explain why they stay out at sea longer. The main Grilse runs used to be mid/late July...now it seems to be early/mid August so they're possibly staying out longer to feed. Grilse were usually 5-9lbs...now they're a lot smaller. I had a July Grilse a few years ago from the Tweed at 2lbs and skinny as a rake :-/

Edited by AirgunGuy

Aye your right I thought it was a salmon when I got it but took a quik pic and then got it back in the water ...it wasnt till I looked at the pic and seen the squre tail I thought it was a seas trout ...but your right when you look closer the mouth doesnt run behind the eye ...theres a bit of a wrist on the tail and not much spots below the lateral line ...still some fight on the wee rod .

It has to be a lack of feeding ...I saw a shoal of grilse a few month ago you would of thought were 1-2lb sea trout

You obviously got a better look at it but I'd bet my house it's a salmon or grilse. Everything about it says salmon. There's nothing there at all that says seatrout. Did you get a scale sample?

Good fishing though and well done. Bet the wee fella enjoyed it ;-)