Issues With The Missus

right.

after some worrying news form the vet regarding my black lab, meaning he will not be becoming a gundog, I am in the search of a good pup.

not looking for anything to buy now, as I am not equipped for a pup, time is an issue too and with a 6 month old son, working 3 shifts and not exactly enough money at the mo, I am simply looking into various breeders that will be looking to have a litter ready when I will be.

have been looking at the usual, black or yellow labs, German shorthaired pointers, English springer spaniels and so on...

now, my missus has said that even though she understands that me being a hunter, and looking at getting a shotgun, a gundog is a good idea, and she realises that it will be as much a hunting tools as a pet.

unfortunately, she has said she will only allow a pup in the house if it is german shepherd...

will a GSD make a good retriever? I have had 3 over the years as family pets, I like the breed and very much like the protective streak they have. never seen one used as a gun dog though. will a GSD retrieve, or would trying to train one to do so be a waste of time?

I know the police use them a lot, but I thought that was mainly for criminal control and tracking because of their deep bark and good nose.

I want a dog that will work hard and work well. without considering training methods, would you buy a GSD to be a retriever based on its breed history and generally what you know of them?

IMO.....Most women TRY and dominate a relationship, I only know of one that lets her man do what he wants and they've been together 30 yr plus...I must admit im in the majority (hen pecked) :icon_redface: but when enough is enough I say so...so my advice to you is be polite and firm and tell your lady THIS is what is going to happen ...and get the dog YOU want...o and be prepared to have no sex, do your own washing and make your own meals... :laugh:

• Like 2

I've been on a shoot were somebody was working gsds a couple of times I didn't really see them work but they done a lot of days through the season. I think they were also used as deer dogs by a stalker though and I guess this was their first purpose I am like mackay mate sometimes in life it's best to just put your foot down lol when you go to a shoot day the beating line ain't full of labs and spaniels for no reason it's because they are the dogs for the job IMHO

Edited by grant_c

cant keep dogs in garden as I have limited space out there as it is, majority of my work is done there so have workshop set up, trestles and jigs and so on. only a small garden and no where near enough room for kennels.

anyway, been flicking through the breeders websites this morning and have found a few locals that breed labs and spaniels. got her flicking through a few of the photos and she has now decided that she would like a choco lab. I told her no, I have nothing against choc's, im sure they are as hard working as the others, I just don't want one. she tried to throw a strop and failed, so in a few hours we are going out to look at his breeding dogs and the 2 pups he has at the moment.

still not looking to buy until early next year, but would like to get to know the person I am buying from. he allows people to see his bitch working with dummy too. if anything it will be an insight into a local breeder and how he does things.

not having a GSD, I want a proven working breed, end of story :)

I really feel sorry for people in relationships where dogs appear to be a bartering tool or begrudged by either partner. It is hard for any dog to live happily in a household where there is infighting between the pack leaders. :blink:

• Like 2

me and my missis have an understanding, she does what she wants within reason and i do what i want within reason. If she wants to go out with friends after work and get steaming on blossom hill and i have to put her to bed when she comes in, fine by me...if i want to go to the pub on a saturday/sunday and watch the footy and have an all dayer and get steaming so she has to put me to bed when i crawl home, fine by her. why try and control each other its just wierd.

We've been together 6 years and it works, dont fix what isnt broken imo. we have our lives together, and seperate lives too. we dont only hang around with other couples, or do shit things like dinner parties and wine tasting. as soon as people start throwing strops and making it hard for the other person (not doing washing or food etc) thas when the relationship will break down and ultimately end.

Id never tell her she cant do something, and she wouldnt to me. If she told me i couldnt have a dog, id buy two. and call them 'f**k' and 'you'

• Like 9