Pest Control

depends on your personal circumstances,finances etc if you need to earn a wage as well as learn then a job with the big commercial companies is the way to get the experience and training your after.If money is not such an issue then go it alone and learn as you go, however don't bank on a wage until you are established, this may take a couple of years as for the training you will need to undertake again this will be dependent on what you think you main work is likely to be

ive been writing to the big companies asking for some work experiance as i study-offered to pay my own way :yes: no response whatsoever-bought the manual-not cheap-think they would rather employ a f***ing monkey than a genuine person who is interested in a career and not just any old job that pays-I know of 2 wastes of space that had it all payed for by the dole-and they still dont work-WHAT A f***ing WASTE-good luck owain mate you best off funding it all yourself and then apply for the posts.i plan to qualify before xmas-you need to book the test well in advance.see you this evening :thumbs:

A wage is not essential to me but id rather go at it with a big company and learn from a experienced person been I got a job but idrather do ssomething I enjoy than do something I dont

As above mate. Pesties are a lot like keepers. Get the experience first unless you go commercial, but even then it will be different. With commercial you may find yourself on a schedule checking restaurants regularly, whereas a self made pestie might do more moles. But again, experience is experience. If you have the money, you could put yourself on the BPCA residential courses.

Atb, BB

When I used to employ lots of pest controllers, I would always have potential candidates on file in case a vacancy came up.

I used to ask for a handwritten letter (so that I could see that they had good literacy) and a CV.

If people failed to send me what I'd asked for, or sent me rubbish, their applications were filed in the bin.

Get a list of the top ten companies in the UK and write to the regional managers of each one. Follow that up with a phone call and repeat every six months or so.

Also keep an eye on the vacancy page of the BPCA website for opportunities. Although some companies ask for RSPH they'd rather employ someone decent and put them through the exam than a muppet who's already passed it.

It's also worth considering moving to a job rather than hoping that one comes up where you happen to be. Technicians cover a wide area these days, and a good manager will want technicians spread widely.

Thanks for the info matt will be looking into it iv look at local ones to me and theres none in my town

Forget your local town.

The big ten pest control companies employ technicians all over the country who work from home.

Rentokil

Mitie

Ecolab

Check Services

Cannon OCS

Just for starters.

Thanks matt great stuff

As another poster has just been told, it's also well worth doing a search.

This question (and variations of it) often crops up and there are some good threads on the subject if you look.

Good luck with it.

Some top pesties on here, some great advice. I would have loved to have done an apprenticeship as it were with one of the big companies, thats surely the way to go for a young lad then you can decide to go your own way if you want with that all important experience.

I managed to get work with a local company, they paid for my exam, and instead of going on any courses, i just read the pest manual instead, and found some mock up tests and practiced with those, the exams not the hard bit, well...legislation is a killer, but as said before, its all about experience, i'm only 22, and i've been in pest control for about 2-3 years now, luckily i knew someone in the industry to give me a chance, most companies will keep hold of your c.v. as long as its worth the read, quick search on google, first one in south wales, http://www.pandppestcontrol.com

give them a call and see what they say...