I think we all agree to disagree in what we feed our dogs. If it ain't broke no need to fix it, my dogs run/work as much as i ask them without any nutritional glitches or deficiencies. No need for change here, we can all take on a few tips and pointers now and then. The holy grail is not totally raw meat nor is it dry kibble, somewhere in the middle works (i prefer to use different sources of carb's to kibble) i just find it hard to have a strong belief in the stuff when it is made for 100% profits and not for the love of our dogs, and that's a fact no matter what hymn sheet you sing from. :thumbs:

• Like 3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we all agree to disagree in what we feed our dogs. If it ain't broke no need to fix it, my dogs run/work as much as i ask them without any nutritional glitches or deficiencies. No need for cha

Just read the composition of the skinners dog foods, i wouldn't feed it to a gerbil , not that i would feed dry food anyways but it is so far from a dogs nutritional needs it is scarey. Here is the ch

My bitch had pie and chips last night after lamping. With sausage   The feeding lord will strike me down  

Just read the composition of the skinners dog foods, i wouldn't feed it to a gerbil , not that i would feed dry food anyways but it is so far from a dogs nutritional needs it is scarey. Here is the chicken and rice composition as an example, the first two ingredients say it all really!

Maize, chicken meat meal (17.5% min), whole rice (15% min), oats, chicken fat, white fish meal, vitamins, minerals and trace elements, brewer’s yeast, culinary herb mix.

:o

LOL, well which do you have a problem with and why?

Don't go for the tired old allergy, can't digest, natural diet rubbish, lets stick to reallity rather than made up stuff eh :thumbs:

Ps, They do a variety of feeds I use duck and rice.

Though some of the fears about maize may be overstated, I've never read anything positive about it as a suitable ingredient for dog food .

The analysis below unfortunately does not include Skinners , but their comments about maize in similar products would certainly prompt me to steer clear of it.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

The dog food analysis site is hardly independent, it's a front for Anti Completes proponents that promotes itself as independent, populated by those that believe that commercial dogs food are killing the worlds dogs causing them to drop like flies!!!! Run by the sort of middle class people that buy herbs and homeopathy because its “natural” and “I’m just so allergic to gluten and need evening primrose oil daily” LOL.

Link below says it all as their recommended reading.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/information.html

certainly not a place to seek realistic independent advice about anything lol.

So back to the real world what’s wrong with maize as a carb source as part of a balanced diet??? Good protein, fat, carb ratios etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize#Comparison_to_other_staple_foods

Edited by sandymere

The dog food analysis site is hardly independent, it's a front for Anti Completes proponents that promotes itself as independent, populated by those that believe that commercial dogs food are killing the worlds dogs causing them to drop like flies!!!! Run by the sort of middle class people that buy herbs and homeopathy because its “natural” and “I’m just so allergic to gluten and need evening primrose oil daily” LOL.

Link below says it all as their recommended reading.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/information.html

certainly not a place to seek realistic independent advice about anything lol.

So back to the real world what’s wrong with maize as a carb source as part of a balanced diet??? Good protein, fat, carb ratios etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize#Comparison_to_other_staple_foods

I don't put myself forward as any kind of knowledgeable person on dog nutrition, but there are tons of reports on maize and its undesirability as a source of food for canines. Not just the one site I posted. If I beleive you they must necessarily all be wrong.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/dog-food-corn/

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-ingredients/0015/maize-corn

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/care/corndogfood.htm

http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/Corn_in_dog_food.html

No doubt you will scoff at these sites, but then I've found you have a tendency to condescension in general.

The top rated complete foods appear to all have one thing in common at, or near the top of their list of ingredients is MEAT ,the bottom rated foods also have one thing in common at , or near the top of their listed ingredients is MAIZE,with beet pulp coming a close second.

I ask myself why would anyone feed a carnivore on a product whose main ingredient is CORN? If I had the money and did not wish to feed raw, I would give my dogs ORIJEN but at over £60 a bag it is not a viable proposition for an owner of 4 dogs who is on a pension.

I'm not a fanatic of either camp, I feed a mixture .My dogs get whole rabbit ,and chicken carcass, giblets, and pluck, oily fish, eggs that have been par-bolied,and a small quantity of tripe, liver, and sundry meat scraps .The two that work will have their meat quality upped next month with an addition of beef ,or pork mince, mostly from heart . Brown rice, blitzed raw veg, a smattering of porridge oats, and cod liver oil caps for all in the winter months.

While they are doing ok on it I'll leave things as they are.

Sorry mate but you should read before you link its just rubbish.

Just a glance at link one, and I quote “Corn has been linked to many dog ailments such as allergies, joint swelling, bloat “ no it hasn’t, not by anyone outside the loony fringe.

“there have been some cases of aflatoxin contamination associated with corn in dog food” millions of dogs everyday eat it contamination is very rare less so than meat so hardly a valid reason not to use.

“Corn metabolizes in dogs similar to the way sugar metabolizes in humans. It's like feeding a child foods high in corn syrup.” What bit like saying bread is like treacle!! Utter tripe! Have they no understanding of even the most basic biology!!

The dog is not going to be as healthy and may experience energy rushes, crashes, hyperactivity and a hard time concentrating” What the feck whole grain now cause ADHD

Does anyone really believe this ??????? I can’t be ars%d to go on and its all getting off topic perhaps someone might like to start a new topic on how whole grains are dangerous.

Could it be that so many of the poor feckers who, claim an “allergy” to this or give a supplement for “that” to their dogs are people just waving a sign saying "look at me I am special" to distract from the screaming choirs of inadequacy they feel when faced with reality. Having said that alternative treatments, diets etc are a very good Darwinian method of relieving stupid middle class people of their money ready for redistribution.

Billy whizz had it about right feed your dogs and get out there rather than worrying about allergies to this and supplement for that.

Regards

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1

think many thousands of dogs in the middle east and beyond have managed to survive ,on grain and milk ,never having seen any meat .yep agree with sandy on this perhaps were ramming far to many lotions and potions into them they don't really need ;)

think many thousands of dogs in the middle east and beyond have managed to survive ,on grain and milk ,never having seen any meat .yep agree with sandy on this perhaps were ramming far to many lotions and potions into them they don't really need ;)

My dogs dont get lotions or potions they get bones, and meat with fish and eggs thrown in as required.

Do you not think if the Arabs had access to lush grazing and therefore a ready supply of meat they would not give it to their dogs?

Ferrets will survive on bread and milk is it a desirable diet for them?

Edited by inan

Just a glance at link one, and I quote “Corn has been linked to many dog ailments such as allergies, joint swelling, bloat “ no it hasn’t, not by anyone outside the loony fringe.

“there have been some cases of aflatoxin contamination associated with corn in dog food” millions of dogs everyday eat it contamination is very rare less so than meat so hardly a valid reason not to use.

“Corn metabolizes in dogs similar to the way sugar metabolizes in humans. It's like feeding a child foods high in corn syrup.” What bit like saying bread is like treacle!! Utter tripe! Have they no understanding of even the most basic biology!!

The dog is not going to be as healthy and may experience energy rushes, crashes, hyperactivity and a hard time concentrating” What the feck whole grain now cause ADHD

Does anyone really believe this ??????? I can’t be ars%d to go on and its all getting off topic perhaps someone might like to start a new topic on how whole grains are dangerous.

Could it be that so many of the poor feckers who, claim an “allergy” to this and take a supplement for “that” and treat their dogs in a like manner, are people just waving a sign saying "look at me I am special" to distract from the screaming choirs of inadequacy they feel when faced with reality. Having said that alternative treatments, diets etc are a very good Darwinian method of relieving stupid middle class people of their money ready for redistribution.

Billy whizz had it about right feed your dogs and get out there rather than worrying about allergies to this and supplement for that.

Regards

Par for the course you're right and everyone else is ignorant, and wrong.I'm actually annoyed with myself for engaging with more than being patronised by you . By coincidence I was cutting the hedge of a friend yesterday he has nutrition shops and gives lectures on the subject, he also has a Phd in his field,.he told me to steer clear of Maize. But what does he know compared to you?

As I type this, I can look to my left at the trophies my dogs have won in the field, where the proof of the pudding is in the results.

But no worries, I won't bother to post again.

• Like 1

My dogs dont get lotions or potions they get bones, and meat with fish and eggs thrown in as required.

Do you notthink if the Arabs had access to lush grazing and therefore a ready supply of meat they would not give it to

their dogs?

I don't care if you feed your dogs on pig shit , I was just making a point that although meat bones and so on are desirable they are not a absolute necessity ;)

Do you notthink if the Arabs had access to lush grazing and therefore a ready supply of meat they would not give it to

their dogs?

I don't care if you feed your dogs on pig shit , I was just making a point that although meat bones and so on are desirable they are not a absolute necessity ;)

The lotions and potions you mentioned are far more likely to be found in extruded dog kibble than in meat and bones are they not? Do you know what goes into those sacks of complete?

The Arabs feed red mills.. Well at least one does lol Was over the northeast buying dog food. A Arab called them and wanted a pallet delivered to a London hotel.. Must have some cash bet that will cost more to transport than it's worth ??

their dogs?

The lotions and potions you mentioned are far more likely to be found in extruded dog kibble than in meat and bones are they not? Do you know what goes into those sacks of complete?

im sure its crap but on the other hand do you know what goes into the animals we feed our dogs ? :laugh:;) mind I havnt had a dog with bse yet!!

their dogs?

im sure its crap but on the other hand do you know what goes into the animals we feed our dogs ? :laugh:;) mind I havnt had a dog with bse yet!!

I've had a couple that have run like they have BSE but not on a regular basis. :D

Could it be that so many of the poor feckers who, claim an “allergy” to this and take a supplement for “that” and treat their dogs in a like manner, are people just waving a sign saying "look at me I am special" to distract from the screaming choirs of inadequacy they feel when faced with reality. Having said that alternative treatments, diets etc are a very good Darwinian method of relieving stupid middle class people of their money ready for redistribution.

Regards

Par for the course you're right and everyone else is ignorant, and wrong.I'm actually annoyed with myself for engaging with more than being patronised by you . By coincidence I was cutting the hedge of a friend yesterday he has nutrition shops and gives lectures on the subject, he also has a Phd in his field,.he told me to steer clear of Maize. But what does he know compared to you?

As I type this, I can look to my left at the trophies my dogs have won in the field, where the proof of the pudding is in the results.

But no worries, I won't bother to post again.

Sorry I don't write/post to be nice just to cut through the rubbish and the links were awful if thats patronising so be it. If i found evidence to support the idea that one individual grain was harmful I'd change my mind but those links aren't goona do it and I'm certainly not giving up sweetcorn yet.

Ps Always a good sign your on the wrong foot when you have the support of sirius lol.

[

Ps Always a good sign your on the wrong foot when you have the support of sirius lol.

Good ol scepticsmear you carry on, you dig your own hole fella without dragging me into it every time with your condescending attitude to other members who show they have any practical knowledge on the health of working dogs lol. you must feel so inadequate to be so bitter all the time, just like a short fella in the pub lol oh hang on? Lol

And I agree maize is pretty guff for dogs!

Edited by Sirius