Lets See Your Fells

For what it is worth my recollection was that the patterdale wasn't really heard of before around 1978.

Then everything black was being bred out of and infused with bull blood. Before that there was the Lakeland and the Fell which was a bastardised version of the Lakey. In this part of Lanashire the Fell terrier was and sometimes, still is, referred to as a Border Lakey. Fell terriers came i a variety of colours including brindle. Just my twopence worth for what it is worth.

• Like 2

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old picture the dogs about 10 now ,ive never called it a fell but i suppose it fits.

Another of mine  

Fells...

Posted Images

When I was a kid they were mainly called fells with a small minority calling them pats, now where I'm from theyre mainly called pats I just prefer to call em blacks.attachicon.gifstan.jpg When this one has his coat on he looks like what I used to call a fell.attachicon.gifdexter.jpgThis is a pup from him at 17 weeks old pat/fell I don't really care its a black dog and it will all come down to the back end of

Smart mate :thumbs:

Back in the 70's/80's Rough blacks were Patterdales, smooth ones were Cross Breds :whistling:

Cheers, D.

and down your end of the country in the 70' every thing was a hunt terrier my loverly

And at that time I was still in my birthplace, "Mid Lancs" area, digging with some handy lads

from both sides of the Penines :thumbs:

Cheers, D.

When I was a kid they were mainly called fells with a small minority calling them pats, now where I'm from theyre mainly called pats I just prefer to call em blacks.attachicon.gifstan.jpg When this one has his coat on he looks like what I used to call a fell.attachicon.gifdexter.jpgThis is a pup from him at 17 weeks old pat/fell I don't really care its a black dog and it will all come down to the back end of

Smart mate :thumbs:

Back in the 70's/80's Rough blacks were Patterdales, smooth ones were Cross Breds :whistling:

Cheers, D.

and down your end of the country in the 70' every thing was a hunt terrier my loverly
And at that time I was still in my birthplace, "Mid Lancs" area, digging with some handy ladsfrom both sides of the Penines :thumbs: Cheers, D.
. And like i said bud a hotbed for typey fells. Pity a lot have spewed the terriers. Meet a couple every now and again.
  • Like 1

bull mcabe, on 23 Aug 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

In my humble OPINION i think wat was classed as the old black fell terrier and wat i class as the modern day patterdale are two very different dogs with sometimes very different styles of working. Black dogs may all have the same origins but the smooth bully type dogs you see today have definatly taken a different route somewhere along the way and have seemingly been refined into what most people call patterdale as opposed to the black fell. In my kennel i have nine black and choc patterdales and whatever bull that is in their make up is well back the line but they still breed true to what i call patterdale. They come smooth with bully enough features and in my opinion suit me down to the ground for my work but i doubt would have suited the fell huntsmen of old so therfore i cant except that thers no such thing as patterdale, that there all black fells. The dogs of say Dave Bonnetts type i would gladly refer to as black fell. But others i would have to call patterdale. Just realised its friday night and here i am shiteing on lol

DB didn't have a type... All his dogs were from different lads...smooth ,, rough or linty coats... Big , small , snipey or cobby ... He wasn't arsed as long as it would work....

bull mcabe, on 23 Aug 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

In my humble OPINION i think wat was classed as the old black fell terrier and wat i class as the modern day patterdale are two very different dogs with sometimes very different styles of working. Black dogs may all have the same origins but the smooth bully type dogs you see today have definatly taken a different route somewhere along the way and have seemingly been refined into what most people call patterdale as opposed to the black fell. In my kennel i have nine black and choc patterdales and whatever bull that is in their make up is well back the line but they still breed true to what i call patterdale. They come smooth with bully enough features and in my opinion suit me down to the ground for my work but i doubt would have suited the fell huntsmen of old so therfore i cant except that thers no such thing as patterdale, that there all black fells. The dogs of say Dave Bonnetts type i would gladly refer to as black fell. But others i would have to call patterdale. Just realised its friday night and here i am shiteing on lol

DB didn't have a type... All his dogs were from different lads...smooth ,, rough or linty coats... Big , small , snipey or cobby ... He wasn't arsed as long as it would work....

. And you should know bud Found a couple more photos ill get them to you
  • Like 2