Which Breed Of Chicken ?

I used to keep chucks if I did it again I would get different breeds as you can tell who Is laying [BANNED TEXT], ie Crème Leg Bar lay blue egg,White star and leghorn lay a white egg etc.

But when you buy your birds get them in one purchase as if you add birds to a flock its murder

• Like 1

get a good strain of light sussex. if you just want them for eggs don't worry too much about looks. I say this because I have bred my own strain of sussex and when you use nicer looking birds you sometimes lose out on the egg laying ability. I hope to be bringing proper standards of colouring into my strain as I have found a show strain which also has high production levels.

another breed worth looking at is cuckoo marans, they can be temperamental and they begin to lay later than some other breeds. if you want to breed marans look at the combs on them as you want them to be straight, not crooked. my hens have crooked combs but the cockerels are comb and colour perfect. the hens are now laying well and I generally get large eggs from them even when they are young, which makes u for lower numbers of eggs. also look for as dark an egg as possible. hope this helps.

thanks for replies lads ,another question , does what you feed them have an affect on the quality of egg they produce , and what sort of feed is the best .Also, i know it might sound dumb ,but do all breeds get on together .cheers lads.