Accuracy Test?

Hi all what is the usual accuracy test for a new shooter arriving at a new shoot? I ask because I asked a guy at my gun club if he could help me out and shoot with him and him being my mentor so he came up the club yesterday to see if I could shoot from a bi-pob shooting stick so I set rifle up with 2 rounds he said right hand side middle clay shoot now 10 seconds 9 8 7 6 I shot then he said left side bottom shoot now! is there really that much of a rush? all he kept banging on about was taking a quick shot and couldn't grasp me taking a bit longer than he wanted and when I said I wasn't happy to take the shot till I was ready he said it wasn't quick enough! he also said when I go to a new shoot I would need to show them I can put 3 rounds in an inch off the bi-pod shooting stick at 100 yards! is this correct? in all my years of shooting rabbits and foxes and deer for that matter I have never rushed a shot or taken a shot unless completely happy with it! he didn't seem to grasp the fact that I wouldn't take a rushed shot and risk shooting the quarry in the ass! I am trying to get him to take me on his next stalk to see exactly how he does it and whether he rushes his shot!

We are going to east holme with the club soon and he wants me to take my sticks and want to run a competition between us at the 200 yard mark which im ok with but he has had a lot more experience shooting off the sticks than I have so im expecting him to beat me.

Any advice on this would be great thanks guys

Rick

I'm a novice too but the guys i've been out with have never made me rush a shot. In fact just the opposite as we didn't want to miss entirely, wound or then spend the next few hours trying to find a wounded deer.

This aint the ole wild west after all. LOL

Hi hutchey that was exactly what I was trying to get over to him and he kept going on about deer management and doing a job so have to take the shot as quick as possible so as not to let the deer get away! I have never rushed a shot in 20+ years and proud of the fact I have never lost a wounded animal and im not about to start now, and I cant count the amount iv let go because of either an unsafe or unsure shot because they will always be there for another day :-)

just checked the dsc1 accuracy and as I thought it says 3 shots in a 4" circle followed by a series of shots at a simulated deer target in three positions, prone, sitting or kneeling, and standing.

Rick

• Like 1

What a load of boll--ks , anyone that encourages you to rush a shot is a complete pratt, and apart from the possibility of wounding/missing, what about safety? If his priority is getting a deer on the ground asap, then surely he is not paying proper attention to the safety factors, and I would suggest is made even worse with a nervous novice, and yes you are correct on the target size issue, an inch group @ 100 yards off sticks will take a lot of practice and skill, has he shown you his prowess by doing it? I bet not.

it sounds to me like this chap is just a little bit too big for his boots and enjoys lording it over novices, my advice, slow down ignore him and shoot accurately and safely, and if he continues, find another mentor :thumbs:

• Like 4

Dumb question to anyone on here but what about Deer farms or places where they can't easily hide, get to cover, etc?

The only thing i could think of for a quick shot was if someone was looking to put down a magazines worth of Deer like some kind of Rambo film in a very quick time.

Even as i type this it still makes feck all sense.

My DSC guy said to take the shot when i was happy and comfortable and the groupings were 4 or 6 inches (cant recall exactly) and i had prone, standing and kneeling/sitting off of a bipod.

Same here when i taught my son i never rushed him i encouraged him to slow down think about his breathing then gentle squeeze the trigger and never worry if his target moved away as there is always another day to try for it .

I dont think anybody should rush there shot as it could lead to a lot of wounded animals

Edited by The one
  • Like 2

+1 all the above ....he is a bullsh.ter , do your self a favour and forget him ,he sounds like the last person you need as a mentor .While safety is paramount doing the job right is what its about , as said the last thing you need to do is rush the shot .Ask him to show you how its done 100m of sticks in 25mm circle wants some doing .

Hi all I had starting thinking the same! im not sure he is the ideal mentor, it took me ages to get him to let me come with him on his next stalk! but I will and il see just how good he actually is or isn't lol I am going to ask him to show me he can shoot 3 rounds in an inch off the sticks.

Rick

• Like 2

Hi I will keep you all informed if he shows me how good he is! and yes I will still be looking for someone more suitable to show me the correct way to stalk and walk me through it instead of trying to rush me in to it!

Rick

Hi I will keep you all informed if he shows me how good he is! and yes I will still be looking for someone more suitable to show me the correct way to stalk and walk me through it instead of trying to rush me in to it!

Rick

Good on you, I wish I was coming with you I would love to see this knob shoot an inch group off the sticks, and I would love to see how he performs out stalking, if he is in such a rush, I bet he bumps ten times more deer than he stalks into.

Rick

Good on you, I wish I was coming with you I would love to see this knob shoot an inch group off the sticks, and I would love to see how he performs out stalking, if he is in such a rush, I bet he bumps ten times more deer than he stalks into.

he sounds like my shooting buddy! :D

• Like 1

If he lets me come il see how he performs :hmm: iv been shooting in the field since my early twenties and im 44 now and at a guess id say he was late twenties early thirties so unless he's been shooting in the field from the age of 8 iv been at it a whole lot longer and im not saying that automatically makes me better but I do know my way round the field :D

Rick