Check out the Bee Guardian Foundation I normally refer my schools etc to them, they can then get grants and educational support especially with bumbles.

Thanks. I will have a look into that.

I would only kill any bees when there is no option and no chance of moving them. Was just interested in peoples views on bumble bee numbers now the summer is well underway, I personally have never seen as many bumble bees, its just honey bees that seem to be in trouble, in my view, in the area I cover.

I,ve never seen so many bumble bees....I know of about 10 nests ,all in bird boxes

When I go to someones house now I dont take a bottle I take a bird box full of bees! Everyone with a decent garden round here is being marked down as a potential bee foster home

• Like 2

I posted about this in the previous topic. I have some bees nesting in a bird box in my wood store. I didn't know which species they were at the time but have since identified them as Bombus hypnorum.

I've also since found a nest of the same species in my local wood and my son's school has some bees nesting in a lamp-post within the school. They have signs up everywhere warning people to keep their distance and saying that they're a protected species which can't be moved...which I'm sure is a little white lie but is good for the bees.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

I'm not a pestie and I don't want to come across as if im telling you how to do your jobs, but I am a beekeeper and so have some knowledge about bumble bees as well as honey bees because my dad often gets called out to swarms and this year hes had loads of calls to bumbles. but anyway what I was going to say is that bumble bees only live for one flower type and once that plant stops flowering the workers all die and the queen will disappear off and go into hibernation so most nests will only be about for 3 or 4 weeks so unless they are actually in someones house they don't really pose any problems, but people tend to get a bit nervous about them

Hope that helps

Ratsmasher

• Like 1

My mrs found a huge bumble bee in the back garden the other day, just laying there. She picked it up and put it on a log with a drop of honey in front of it. Seemed to do the trick as it flew off after a few minutes. :thumbs: