Tips For An Inexperienced Owner And Dog?

I've had my bitch for just over a year now, she's 16 months old. She's my first dog so I've pretty much spent the first year with her doing obedience training and enjoying her youth, but now I want to start working her... Not too much as my family don't like it, but i'd like to say I can work her a bit. I take her to the beef cattle farm where I work, and she gets the odd rabbit on the land there (she stays loose and does her own thing so I don't always see what she's up to) so she has experience with killing them but never actually done any work.
Whenever I see rabbits I try to aim her at them and 9/10 times she's chases, but she sometimes just stands and watches them run away even if they look close enough. She's quite hit & miss with them, so I wonder if maybe when she misses she loses confidence? Today she ran at a bunch of young rabbits, most ran uphill into cover but one went down hill - Nancy ran after it, reached down to pick it up but lost balance and somersaulted over the top. She chased a few more after than but seemed to lack confidence and gave in quickly.

How can I build her confidence? Is it worth meeting up with someone, as I know there's a couple of people that lamp and ferret in the area, or will she learn things herself in her own time? How do you bring on a dog of that age?

Any tips for a newbie and her dog would be greatly appreciated!

post-88624-0-33852200-1372795050_thumb.jpg

post-88624-0-59794100-1372795078_thumb.jpg

I would say you need to get the dog a few good slips where the odds are in his favour as said above.

Soon as the fields have been cut you want to get out on the lamp with someone who's done a bit.

What area are you? Maybe someone would offer to help.

Be good if someone could take this girl out with her dog and offer her some help...dog's well looked after and looks a handy sort...we all had to start somewhere...

If only you were closer... :laugh:

Good luck...sure someone will help you out... :thumbs:

• Like 1

many dogs learn over time what rabbits they feel are catchable and which not to bother with. if you just want the dog to knock about with you during the day and perhaps knock up the odd bunny then you need to let it just learn the art for itself by practice. but you can certainly help its confidence. letting it pick up myxy rabbits is always handy for a young dog, so that it not only gets the benefit of getting its mouth around something but also gets used to carrying something alive and squeaking and struggling. if you want more out of your dog, then yes you could get out early in the season on the lamp or with the ferrets for some inexperienced rabbits to bulid skills and confidence. good luck

• Like 1

Your biggest problem Vicky is the dogs teaching itself what to do. Unfortunately that means its learning the hard way and will sicken itself i.e chose runs. There are two types of dogs, ones that are used to catching and ones that are used to not catching, you want your dog to be in the first category. It's like everything else new to something, you don't teach them the hard way. For example, if you had a kid, you wouldn't start him out fishing for salmon, where he might get 1 a year, lose interest and think, whats the point. you'd take him to a trout fishery where he's more likey to get 4 a day. The dogs used to missing cos it just picks the rabbit that moves or is closest which usually is the hardest. That's where us supposed more intelligent make up the hunting partnership. He does the catching, we do the selecting. Anyone who has walked into a field of rabbits with the dog off the lead knows how it feels when you let the dog do both, it usually ends with the dog running straight down the fence line and the rabbits making a dart behind it to safety. On the other hand, dog on the lead, same scenario, you'll hold the dog while entering, watching the impossible catches escape while looking further out in the field for the sitters or ones that he has a good chance of catching. Whilst its good for your dog to be at your place of work and allowed the freedom to do what he wants, its detrimental on his hunting. You just need to strike a balance as to what you want out of the dog. Is it more a companion getting the odd rabbit or do you want it to be a hunting companion. I feel while its free to roam teaching itself, the latter will be hard to accomplish. It would be ok if the dog was already taught the art then allowed to do its own thing but not the other way around but still worth a shot. If I were you, I'd arrive at work an hour earlier, take the dog to the fields where the rabbits are, keep him on the slip and chose the easiest rabbit you can find. Slip him on that and see how he goes. Ideally when a young dogs learning his trade, you want to end on a good note, i.e a catch but if he's getting let loose while your at work, that's not going to happen but you'll get a rabbit or 2, so its a compromise but he won't turn into a 100% hunting companion filling bags IMHO. When I'm bring up a pup, i don't take it to places where there are rabbits unless its at the stage where I'm teaching it to chase them. There is a Definite line between play and work. mixing the two for me, isn't right. But at the same time, the fact your dog did a summersault trying to catch, says the dogs still got heart for it. You can tell the difference between a dog going through the motions and just chasing for the fun of it and one that's running its hardest to catch it. Always amazes me the prey drive of a lurcher. It spends its entire youth getting taught not to chase, sheep, chickens, pretty much everything. Till one day we tell it to chase and expect it to do it. To its testament, it usually does. Hunting is a partnership between man and dog, neither is much good without the other. Hope that's bored you as much as its hurt my finger :laugh:

• Like 3

Your biggest problem Vicky is the dogs teaching itself what to do. Unfortunately that means its learning the hard way and will sicken itself i.e chose runs. There are two types of dogs, ones that are used to catching and ones that are used to not catching, you want your dog to be in the first category. It's like everything else new to something, you don't teach them the hard way. For example, if you had a kid, you wouldn't start him out fishing for salmon, where he might get 1 a year, lose interest and think, whats the point. you'd take him to a trout fishery where he's more likey to get 4 a day. The dogs used to missing cos it just picks the rabbit that moves or is closest which usually is the hardest. That's where us supposed more intelligent make up the hunting partnership. He does the catching, we do the selecting. Anyone who has walked into a field of rabbits with the dog off the lead knows how it feels when you let the dog do both, it usually ends with the dog running straight down the fence line and the rabbits making a dart behind it to safety. On the other hand, dog on the lead, same scenario, you'll hold the dog while entering, watching the impossible catches escape while looking further out in the field for the sitters or ones that he has a good chance of catching. Whilst its good for your dog to be at your place of work and allowed the freedom to do what he wants, its detrimental on his hunting. You just need to strike a balance as to what you want out of the dog. Is it more a companion getting the odd rabbit or do you want it to be a hunting companion. I feel while its free to roam teaching itself, the latter will be hard to accomplish. It would be ok if the dog was already taught the art then allowed to do its own thing but not the other way around but still worth a shot. If I were you, I'd arrive at work an hour earlier, take the dog to the fields where the rabbits are, keep him on the slip and chose the easiest rabbit you can find. Slip him on that and see how he goes. Ideally when a young dogs learning his trade, you want to end on a good note, i.e a catch but if he's getting let loose while your at work, that's not going to happen but you'll get a rabbit or 2, so its a compromise but he won't turn into a 100% hunting companion filling bags IMHO. When I'm bring up a pup, i don't take it to places where there are rabbits unless its at the stage where I'm teaching it to chase them. There is a Definite line between play and work. mixing the two for me, isn't right. But at the same time, the fact your dog did a summersault trying to catch, says the dogs still got heart for it. You can tell the difference between a dog going through the motions and just chasing for the fun of it and one that's running its hardest to catch it. Always amazes me the prey drive of a lurcher. It spends its entire youth getting taught not to chase, sheep, chickens, pretty much everything. Till one day we tell it to chase and expect it to do it. To its testament, it usually does. Hunting is a partnership between man and dog, neither is much good without the other. Hope that's bored you as much as its hurt my finger :laugh:

thanks for taking the time to write such an informative answer - sorry about your fingers! haha.

You've pretty much told me what I was thinking and needed to hear. Obviously when working on the farm I can't always watch her, and she kicks up such a fuss if I shut her in a car or tie her in a stable (she jumps the doors otherwise). I always thought it was nice for her to have some freedom there and she does get rabbits sometimes so I know she's getting it right, sometimes. But you're right - she's teaching herself the slower, harder way with little to no guidance from me. I'll try and go an hour or two early and keep her on the lead until I find something suitable... my current way of doing things is let her loose and watch her figure things out, which has resulted in a lower strike rate.

She's a pet first and foremost, but I would like to be able to say she's a worker, and be able to get a rabbit for the pot or one for her supper every now and then with a higher strike rate. I can tell when she's had successful mornings because she'll be on full alert and stalk around with her ears pricked, whereas if she's missed everything she's run at she'll be a lot more subdued and uninterested when I walk around with her. So you're right, slipping her at some easier targets might boost her confidence and keep her alert and interested. She summersaulted quite impressively actually - I was in the pickup with the farmer checking some fencing and we watched out the window as she did it. we were doing 30mph across the field and she went off ahead of us after the bunnies so she was going some speed, she just tipped up, flipped over and slipped down the wet grass on her backside. the rain probably didn't help! but she got up and had a few more goes, although I expect she was a bit stiff after that.

The fields have all been cut now so like Gaz said I might try to get hold of one of the guys that lamps on the land and see if I can tag along for a night out and watch with the dog. I think that'd be good for her as her prey drive goes through the roof at night, she's a monster lol.

Skycat from this forum writes some damn good books.

Penny Taylor in the real world.

she also dishes out some top draw advice too.

As does Baw - see above....I honestly do think that Baw could well be one of this country's top fieldsports writers in decades to come...Darcy, Fairclough and Baw...got a certain ring to it... :yes: Future generations will rank him alongside other greats...Plummer, Hancock (not he of the peddler hue), Sheardowm, Walsh, Taylor, Drakeford, Drabble, Harcombe and co....

So Baw when can we expect the first of many...got a good tiltle for you....The Lurcher...on Keyboard and in Cyberspace.... :laugh:

Go on get it writ..... :thumbs:

• Like 2

As does Baw - see above....I honestly do think that Baw could well be one of this country's top fieldsports writers in decades to come...Darcy, Fairclough and Baw...got a certain ring to it... :yes: Future generations will rank him alongside other greats...Plummer, Hancock (not he of the peddler hue), Sheardowm, Walsh, Taylor, Drakeford, Drabble, Harcombe and co....

So Baw when can we expect the first of many...got a good tiltle for you....The Lurcher...on Keyboard and in Cyberspace.... :laugh:

hes still working on the catty book :laugh:

i'd only buy it if he dedicated a whole chapter to " the coursing greats", with lots and lots of BIG name dogs and big land legends.... :whistling: