What Type?

I'll be on the lookout for a new pup at the end of the year but can't decide what will be best for me, so I'd appreciate any ideas you lads would have. I'll be retiring then so it will probably be my last working dog and I want to make sure I start with as good a dog as I can. My present dog is beddy grey whippet x bull grey whippet and a fair old size, and if I'm honest not much of a rabbiting dog, though I love him to bits and he does do other things well given the chance, unfortunatly I haven't much interest in that side of it.

I'm after a dog that will compliment him as he's a good mooching dog, so I'd want something smaller and lighter that can have a chance of catching rabbits that shoot 20 yards from bramble to bramble, and a bit of lamping but there is where I think I may struggle.

I do a lot of mooching in local woods and old open cast mine areas that are really hard on a dog, and from the few I've seen I think maybe a whippet based dog would suffer after running them, they are full of potholes and suchlike. I'd sooner catch fewer than have a dog thats always injured.

I'm not bothered what type. Though I have a preference for rough coated dogs a smooth coat would be no problem, and I fancy a bit of collie in this one, and in the region of 22"- 24".

I know a lot on here disagree but I do like the look of some of Hancocks dogs and I would guess that type would be strong enough but would they be nimble enough for what I want or will it have to be whippet blood to get that initial burst of speed?

And finally, is anyone planning a litter that would do the job? I'd be looking to get the pup in November at the earliest.

Cheers, Tom.

i run a little rabbit dog on that sort of land he does well on it catches well 22tts he is 3/4 whippet beddy you can come see him work give you a idea of what your looking for good full on dog works the lamp well to.

• Like 3

A threequarter beddy whippet was my first thought mate, but I was worried they would be a bit fragile and a half cross stronger but too small.

A mate of mine runs three whippets, and one has broken its neck this year and the other two are always limping, it's tended to put me off a bit.

• Like 1

A threequarter beddy whippet was my first thought mate, but I was worried they would be a bit fragile and a half cross stronger but too small.

A mate of mine runs three whippets, and one has broken its neck this year and the other two are always limping, it's tended to put me off a bit.

come see a good one work :laugh: were this dog runs you close your eyes and pray but never had any problems feet or any thing dogs adapt to land there worked on mate when i run him on good land he makes the job look easy :thumbs:

my hancock speaking from experience seems to tick all your boxes mate rough coated, works cover / mooches, fur and feather, nearly 6 yr old and touch wood no long term injuries, lamps and ferrets well, quick enough for golf course bunnies, as for the 20 yd bursts maybe not as electric as a small whippet she does ok and her extra savvy seems to put her in the right place at the right time.......before the hancock knockers jump in i'm not saying that hancocks are the be all....but i'd argue that collie x's were

what x is taking ya fancy at the mo ? would have sumat simler to what you have now

The only thing I wouldn't want is saluki or bull blood, other than that anything.

My mutts thrown to the beddy side and I'm more than happy with his obedience and as I said he's a good mooching dog with a good nose but to big and heavy for rabbits. If I could have put him on more I'm sure he would have been a lot better but my permissions don't hold enough for him get regular lamping, I'm lucky to get a half dozen runs in a couple of hours.

I'm going to have time on my hands when I pack in work and want this new pup to be a dog I can train to a good standard, maybe even a pigeon shooting companion, so I thought a bit of collie couldn't hurt.