Field Vs Fen

Just another for the great coursing debate, what do you guys like/prefer running? I imagine most will say its a no brainer and the only Way to test a dog is on the big land, but some of us don't have the privallage of that kind of land, where im based in SW Scotland its all small grass parks and stubbles nothing compared to the fens and we get some good runs and takes a real good dog to kill them reguarly on the type of land I run, so what do you guys prefer running or do run mostly?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

best dog is one that can adapt and run both field dogs need to be quick killers good jumpers specially if its very small fields lots of obstacles but the bigger the land gets the more a dogs heart a

my dogs will have a crack where ever they are, thats all you can ask from any dog

Hares no different any were its the dogs !

best dog is one that can adapt and run both :thumbs: field dogs need to be quick killers good jumpers specially if its very small fields lots of obstacles but the bigger the land gets the more a dogs heart and stamina gets tested plus the better hares are ones that get run regular

• Like 2

I run field n fen and both reqiire dif things from a mutt , on the fen i say they are bigger test as there no hedges to bring the hare back it a true test of speed stam, n mental stam not to give up n have the brain to use gears n work the hare. The hare aint limit to space so you realy see em run. Fields I find a faster dog do well on em but I find the hare doesnt run at it full potental

• Like 1

i was on some land last year 2 days after christmas and as i was walking it i could see 3 or 4 different footprints going across field, it gets run regular and they were the best hares i seen last year, fitchet seen the land im talking about big flat fields. hare come out there seats like rockets and allways head or a electric yard near by. takes a good dog to stop them there. they no exactly what to do.....

I run field n fen and both reqiire dif things from a mutt , on the fen i say they are bigger test as there no hedges to bring the hare back it a true test of speed stam, n mental stam not to give up n have the brain to use gears n work the hare. The hare aint limit to space so you realy see em run. Fields I find a faster dog do well on em but I find the hare doesnt run at it full potental

Thats what i mean mate but some will say it takes more to catch them in fields as your dogs have got to end the course quick. I remember seeing a bitch bred to run fens in fields if hare hit cover she would pounce and force it back out. Ive seen mine do on lamped rabbits but not on hares.,

Wherever you run them no winter hare is easy in my opinion. Atb

Field and open ground is just the way of it in here in Ayrshire but I would love to give the fens a go :thumbs:

A say when my pup out this litters up and running we take it and your Lucas pup and go down give it a bash Tommy, might be abit of an eye opener for us field running Ayrshire lads

Edited by DazAllison1
  • Like 1

Field and open ground is just the way of it in here in Ayrshire but I would love to give the fens a go :thumbs:

A say when my pup out this litters up and running we take it and your Lucas pup and go down give it a bash Tommy, might be abit of an eye opener for us field running Ayrshire lads

the fields in ayrshire are huge to some of them we have round about the centrel belt and the bard wire fence walls with 3 strands of bard wire on them as some one says the dogs adapt to where they run anyway they days are gone with the ban :thumbs: