Summer Hunting...

Any you lad bush the rape fields this time off year I love to watch my dog shoot in then the arial desplay when leap above the rape for a better view mint to see

Fecking love it,...and so do the dogs...

I watch them having a hunt most evenings,..we don't catch much,... the rabbits/hares usualy make their escape, in much the same way,..I could run a wee stop net or two along the edge of the field,..but I won't....it would spoil the fun...

As for paid jobs,.removing rabbits from under sheds/buildings..or culling a few brace, doing damage in a tree nursery, or walled garden,.well, I'll always borrow a ferret and get myself a bit of vonga...£££

But,..I can't take the Summertime rabbiting seriously,..and over the years I have found patience to be a virtue...

Start early on in the season,.cram in as much as you can,....and finish hunting/ferreting,.late as possible..

If you only ever walk out in perfect conditions and follow the party line,..your dogs become old, without reaching their full potential..

Life is too short,...trust me... :thumbs:

What a post.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hares breeding in october is nothing new. I caught a banged up doe on boxing day over 30 years ago and the cubs had their eyes open and were still alive when I opened her. These were the first and uns

Because they knock folk for running bellied up hares, leverets and cubs. . . . . . . . and thinking they are gods of the hunting world . . . . .?   Do what you do and try not to worry about others,

most folk who give stick , DO fack all in winter they just like to give shit to folk, green eyed monsters has they get called,, iff you go bye the book your dog stops at march,, and starts at sept,, 7

If i felt the need to hunt in summer for no good reason,that would be pest control,only the genuine sort,or educating a sapling,then id know it was time to give up with the mutts.I can put enough into the recognised season to keep me and the mutts occupied,i then find plenty for me and the mutts to occupy the rest of the year.Id personally be ashamed to admit i feel the need to kill anything now that will offer a more fitting,rewarding,testing and worthwhile opponent,later in the year.

• Like 1

how many on ere even hunt in season n not talkin about the Sunday hunter I mean 4-5-6 and if mad keen 7 times a week. Reson for asking is no a few who make any exuse to stay in. for me out a season I luv my daily moochs keeps em firing till season. Sum days mite b out all day but then who cares eh. Born in the out doors feel like wear I shud b haha

how many on ere even hunt in season n not talkin about the Sunday hunter I mean 4-5-6 and if mad keen 7 times a week. Reson for asking is no a few who make any exuse to stay in. for me out a season I luv my daily moochs keeps em firing till season. Sum days mite b out all day but then who cares eh. Born in the out doors feel like wear I shud b haha

I know plenty of lads who look forward to Sundays,work and family commitments often leaves just one day to give the dogs some graft,the odd hour lamping in the week can be fitted in at times.The one full day they get can be utilised to the full.Others may venture forth more often and have dogs far less tested.

• Like 1

I know plenty of lads who look forward to Sundays,work and family commitments often leaves just one day to give the dogs some graft,the odd hour lamping in the week can be fitted in at times.The one full day they get can be utilised to the full.Others may venture forth more often and have dogs far less tested.

:good: Fact is, life ain't all about hunting, I bloody wish it was! I do what I can when I can which as above is a bit of daytime at the weekends and the odd couple hours lamping in the week. I keep mooching about in the summer evenings for the odd bit of ferret food, to keep an eye on what's happening and to check traps/vermin etc.

banter??? some folk think there gods of the hunting world and want the rest of us to bow down to them!!

Because they knock folk for running bellied up hares, leverets and cubs. . . . . . . . and thinking they are gods of the hunting world . . . . .?

Do what you do and try not to worry about others, either way. :thumbs:

You want to seem clue up wat time a yr is stuff bredin now then. I was seein young in october still and seein young leverets in decem. Our climate not like it was 20yrs ago everythin change and so shud our seasons imo

While I agree that you are seeing more young at odd times of year . . . . . anyone who is out enough in the countryside (and I know you are), knows that there are certain times of year when the main breeding season falls.

Now as has been said, I walk the dogs every day, and if stuff jumps up and gets killed, then so be it, that's just life.

However, at this time of year I don't go out looking for numbers, or put any real effort into catching game. And if I knew there were hares on a piece of ground, I probably wouldnt walk my dogs there over summer, if it was possible, both for their sake, and for the sake of the dogs feet and lungs on a hot, dry day (when we get em).

Whatever folk say or do, that's their call. But I was just brought up with the belief that everything deserves a chance to breed in peace, if it isn't causing no bother. I also happen to actually like seeing rabbits, hare, fox, deer etc around, I like watching them, and appreciating their natural beauty and their ways. . . . . not just killing them with my dogs.

A lot of folk wonder where the game has gone in some parts, and whilst there are many many reasons for it's decline, lads slipping a dog on everything they see, all year round, certainly does not help. Same with the gun lads popping off everything that raises its head, 365 days a year.

I enjoy my sport in the season, and I love to hunt, and of course I miss it in the summer, but there are other things to be getting on with, and it soon comes round again.

Look after the land, and it will look after you for years to come, treat it was something to just take take take. . . . . . . and one day there will be nowt left to take.

Just my opinion, i'm not saying it's right, it's just my way :thumbs:

• Like 2

Hares breeding in october is nothing new. I caught a banged up doe on boxing day over 30 years ago and the cubs had their eyes open and were still alive when I opened her. These were the first and unsuccessful bunch I tried to rear. It's not about trying to be hunting gods.....it's about sustainably harvesting the surplus. If we kill all the pregnant does and leverets in summer what's left to hunt in winter? We all have hunted soft summer hares but after a while some of us grow up and catch on that, especially over here where hares can be scarce in vast areas, they need to be allowed to breed.

• Like 5

Not ever1 [BANNED TEXT] up there outin sum seem more after fame then ovas. Sum the most well nown of men in the dogs dnt even go near a comp these are the true dog men that becum a place in history by gud old fasion word of mouth. Let the dogs do the talkin like not sum silly few chapter and a photo

Edit that not aim at you michem I no u modest about your mutts ;)

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, lets face it lads we have all done it at some time in our lives, who in there right mind is going to drop a young terrier in to a big dog fox when there are a nice litter of three quarter grown cubs two minutes down the road, i know i will be out in the next few weeks with the young hounds to get them started, and just because your hunting something dosent mean your going to kill it, and another thing my dogs cant seem to be able to tell the differance in the seasons, stupid c**ts. atb coverdogs

Don't think it's the dogs, more their owner.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, lets face it lads we have all done it at some time in our lives, who in there right mind is going to drop a young terrier in to a big dog fox when there are a nice litter of three quarter grown cubs two minutes down the road, i know i will be out in the next few weeks with the young hounds to get them started, and just because your hunting something dosent mean your going to kill it, and another thing my dogs cant seem to be able to tell the differance in the seasons, stupid c**ts. atb coverdogs

Don't think it's the dogs, more their own

sorry i left this out at the end but i will add it in now. LOL :laugh::hmm::bye: