Best Days Bushing / Bushing Tales.

I know full well how mad them little b*****ds can be! All it takes is one well placed blow from a buck and it can be curtains for the best of dogs.

Yeh, once I hear them terriers start screaming it's great.

I think if your dog learns to shake them and keep away from those tusks you shouldnt have much trouble. All mine have learnt the hard way ....

7E19BE3D-6441-4E0B-B8D0-F54D1E9206B1-567

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cracking read mate.   This day was a few years aga now pre-ban obviously. Me and two others had organised a day out onto a huge tract of wasteland that Holds all sorts. This bit of landis mainly ru

Was sat at work bored today, thinking back over some of the days out bushing (or mooching) that I have had, just out with man (or men) and dogs, in the day, seeing what could be stirred up. Sometimes

one what sticks out for me was on a late winter afternoon before the ban,...............a little bit of a miserable day ...normal walk along the river,...turned into a great bit of sport what involved

Cracking read mate.

This day was a few years aga now pre-ban obviously. Me and two others had organised a day out onto a huge tract of wasteland that Holds all sorts. This bit of landis mainly rush beds brambles and old gravel pits that go down into an arrow head. Roe muntjac fox rabbits hares and game birds all litter this land but the dogs have to work hard for there catches. I had my 3/8 5/8th bull greyhound and a terrier. Tayo had his strong powerfull saluki/greyhound bitch "bess". This bitch started her days killing hares but turnt out to be pretty handy at dropping roe and muntjac and was sold as her owner was sick of it when they were out coursing. he also had a old terrier blind as a bat but out for the walk. The other lad out with us ronnie had his first x saluki/grey "red". Not the best dog in the world but keeps him happy. We were up with the larks and were ready to go just as the gloom was starting to clear. There was a bit of frost not ideal but men and dogs were too keen to let it bother us. "bess" had a good run on a lucky hare that narrowly made its escape into a strip of young trees that we were due to walk through later on in the day. Whilst waiting for the bitch to return we smoked and chatted about the run we'd just seen.

Then the sound of bodies bouncing of the plastic tree guards erupted out of the cover and a lovely Muntie doe leapt out with bess closely behind. A ten yard sprint and the doe was on the deck. By the time we were on the scene it was all over. A good show. We quickly sorted the deer and left it in some reeds ready to pick up later on. By now we were well awake as we're the dogs. We came to a big old reedbed and I loosed the bull/greyhound and terriers and the other two were bouncing on slips. My dog worked the cover with true vigour and produced a single bunny. Better than nothing but not really what we were after. We moved on and deer slots were everywhere. The next spot was some reeds that bordered a small pond. The bull/grey was sent on and withing seconds he was cantering nose down obviously on a red hot scent. I was expecting a fox so whistled the terriers up and leashed them. As he approached a smallish patch of bramble he jumped in and a good Muntie buck jumped out.

He's one it like a shot twisting turning and just before the next bit of cover strikes and gets to grip with his quarry. Anybody who's ran muntjac will know they can be hardy little critters so we ran over to make sure everything was ended quickly as possible. He knows how to deal with an angry buck having learnt the hard way and kept it well under control.

I was over the moon but ronnie was under pressure now. We loosed the terriers and positioned ronnie to were we thought quarry would break. To my surprise the only things that broke were rabbits and "red" quickly mopped them up and retrieved them before the terriers arrived on the scene. Brilliant stuff. We loosed all the dogs and just took an easy walk reflecting on the morning. The terriers put a few bunnies up tayos blind old dog never faltered once even found a crafty old hen pheasant sitting tight. We kept walking and my bull/grey came to a rock steady point in some gorse. A well aimed strike and the cock pheasants in the bag. Sadly the terriers got to it so it was minus head and tail feathers by the time I got it but was a nice catch all the same.

We decided to make our way back and we walked along a brilliant stretch of private river. We were chatting away about dogs not really paying attention when my terrier bitch gave a yap and the banging and crashing of several bodies. Next thing 2 nice sided roe crashed out of cover followed by our "crew" the deer plunged into the river closely followed by 2 of our dogs mine and tayos bitch. "red" ran up the bank along the river. The deer got up the bank and the dog in hot pursuit. All of a sudden"red" came out of nowhere and literally yanked one of the does of it's fet. Impressive stuff from the dog who used its brain. There was now a tangle of dogs and a very tenderised roe. There was only one way to get there sharpish and that was to wade it. The water was so cold it stung. We quickly got sorted and got back across with Tayo falling over and nearly losing our doe due to the pacyness of the river. We got our steaming dogs and quarry home ASAP. The dogs got rugged up and were given a good bowfull of food. We had a hot bath and got on with sorting our Sunday dinners out and other menial chores.

Might not have been the most quarry caught and the dogs may not have been the best but that morning will always stick in my mind. "bess" is dead now and red is near on retired. I still walk this ground now but never had a morning as good yet.

All the best.

74197B89-7BB6-40E1-8B2C-917812EE609B-242

Cracking read that fitchet :thumbs: Cheers Atb

• Like 2
  • 6 years later...

Best day this season. Was actually a weekend .had 15 foxes out of cover and shot 12 .Sunday we bolted 3 and missed all the 3 lol.dogs done excellent on that day and it was a dream to be part of it .unfortunately now the head keeper and my father s have keeped the numbers down so not as many.there seem to be a fox in every patch .? again it was good old brian and his old side kick dumbo r.i.p .that was lead bushers .poor keepers spaniels didn't know what day it was lol .couple of good lads and good bushers.

• Like 5