Well just went to local permission tonight after work seeing as the nights are lasting longer I thought I'd give it a go. Not much about, just the odd rabbit that was out of range and a few pigeons. Nothing worth screaming about. However it was getting late, so I decided to call the old man over and take one last walk then make a move home. Looking down the field I see this pigeon rocketing towards us. I was stood in grass so long I just took a knee and that's it, I was covered. God know where the father was, I was focusing on the bird. Peeping through the grass blind I see it flair ever so slightly to my left, well out of range for my dads skeet choke but possibly still in range for my 1/4? Anyways I catch on to it, gave it a lead which was honestly about 10-15ft in front! Squeeze the trigger and watch this rocketing pigeon just fold. I'm sure it flew another 10 yards even with it folding and dead in the air. I couldn't believe I hit it, niether could the old man. I counted how far out it was, it measured just shy of 70 paces. By far the farest I have and probably will ever shoot. I will never forget that shot for the rest of my days.

Now my question to you, is there a shot that you have ever taken or witnessed, that will remain in your memories for the rest of your life?

• Like 1

Had a couple of nice ones......lucky who knows. But the one that sticks in my mind is when i was a young lad. I used to beat at this local shoot and of course at the end of the season we were invited to shoot on the cock day. We drew pegs and i got a number beside my Grandad....he was a fantastic shot, just a natural i suppose. We were back gun at this drive.....now the birds were high at the front line and we were another 20 feet down a gully as back guns. Well a woodcock came over and the front line of guns missed it, my grandad whipped up the 20 bore and took this thing stone dead in the air.....i can remember seeing it fall to the ground and it reminded me of when i used to throw they 'wingnuts' up and they used to spin to the floor. It felt like it was taking forever to hit the ground. Some shot it was...... :yes:

Now i pick up with the dogs i have the fortune of watching very good shoots quite alot...........but theres also something special about watching a pheasant sore so high and climb over the guns without even missing a beat and living to see another day.......... ;)

yep was well of range of my Remington 1100 skeet that's why I'm looking for a multi-choked barrel !! was a great shot though and no bull it was that distance. As for a shot I will always remember, it was good but not as memorable as our first beaters day, I actually flushed the bird which 03milesR shot for best bird of the day, and I don't let him forget it :thumbs:

Nothing spectacular really. I'll never forget my first English partridge which was also my first game bird, walked up and shot with my rusty old SxS I was given. I'll also never forget my first fox flushed by terriers. A pleasing shot from last season would have to be a high mallard really motoring, swept through it lovely with the Beretta 390 and it fell for an age plumetting like a 1000lb bomb High and fast just collapsed in flight instantly dead, just a very sweet pleasing bird and shot.

done some nice shots meself over the years, i folded a woody dead in the air around 70yards ''just an instinktive snap shot''no time to think gun up swing threw BANG,folded it like a deckchair :victory: another time i was just walkin down the edge of a wood ''a pigeon clattered out the trees bout 30 yards gun up bang folded ,unshouldered the gun opened the breach cartridge ejected ''just slipped another kent velocity in when i see another pigeon flyin high overhead and a good 40 yards out''''snapped the gun shut BANG'' ''dead in the air :laugh: my best shots are always quick instinctive shots,, if i see a bird coming from away out i focus to hard and miss em.. :thumbs: I can still remember me first left''n''right on ferreted rabbits aswell :victory: then there was my airgunning days when i was younger i dropped 2 rabbits with one shot i was using a webley raider legal lmit gun picked a rabbit at 25yds fired''' bop ''seen 2 backflip in the air :icon_eek: total fluke but i done it.. :yes:

Edited by miroku moocher
  • Like 1

done some nice shots meself over the years, i folded a woody dead in the air around 70yards ''just an instinktive snap shot''no time to think gun up swing threw BANG,folded it like a deckchair :victory: another time i was just walkin down the edge of a wood ''a pigeon clattered out the trees bout 30 yards gun up bang folded ,unshouldered the gun opened the breach cartridge ejected ''just slipped another kent velocity in when i see another pigeon flyin high overhead and a good 40 yards out''''snapped the gun shut BANG'' ''dead in the air :laugh: my best shots are always quick instinctive shots,, if i see a bird coming from away out i focus to hard and miss em.. :thumbs: I can still remember me first left''n''right on ferreted rabbits aswell :victory: then there was my airgunning days when i was younger i dropped 2 rabbits with one shot i was using a webley raider legal lmit gun picked a rabbit at 25yds fired''' bop ''seen 2 backflip in the air :icon_eek: total fluke but i done it.. :yes:

Still on the crack I see lol

Oddly enough my very first flying shot was a woodie at around that distance; I was standing at the front of a barn when it went over. It was quite high up as well and came down with one hell of a thud. I think it was a bit of a lucky shot for me but at the end of the day at least I got it! :-)

1 0nce got permission off a farmer that ihad just butchered a pig for then he said what do I ow ya I said I like a walk with me gun if that's okay he said no problem bring your gun next time ya do a job for me 2 week later another pig turns up for slaughter 1 said il bring it back cut up he said dring your gun with ya when I got to the farm he said get your gun on walkin round he said there has been a few teal on this brook round this corner sure enough 2 teal jump shot the drake then out of the brash up jumped a woodcock well sooted left and a right he said with eyes like that your welcome on here any time 25 yrs on still got same shop

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

my best shot was with my silver pigeon 4, number 5 shot (my normal), on my old permission by a race course used about 3-4 times a year with corn and rape fields in the middle, i was decoying with very little happening, a pigeon going like stink from left to right about 85 yards out, a quick snap shot, it must have bounced a bout 6-7 foot of the floor when it hit, stone dead straight away, wings folded back...

i will never forget that shot for the rest of my days, im not so good now though as i have had no pigeon permissions for some time, tiz a great shame, many a good bag from decoying the corn and rape stubble i had. strange how we dont know what we have got until its gone, 1500 acres it was, 2 flight ponds 2 woods and even fox who got close enough to shot with shotgun...

good times...;)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice shot on that pigeon! For myself, I've made a few doubles on Roughed Grouse, and woodcock,(and a heck of a lot of misses lol). But nothing that really stands out.

But If I can mention a rifle shot here? I did see a great shot on a whitetail buck once. My old neighbor was standing post on a deer run. When this 8-point comes barreling down towards him. It even lowered it's head for impact. The old guy, then in his late sixties. Jumped out of the way, spun around and made a nice quartering away shot. The buck piled up about 30 yards away. I think that's the best shot I've ever seen.

ATB