Sea Eagles Nest ... Was It You Lab ???

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There seems to be a prevailing sense that it,s wrong to mention the countryside and money in the same sentence , the countryside , if its going to remain countryside, needs to earn its keep , wether i

Fair play to anyone keepering, amature or pro.........   Spend time with any decent keeper or ex keeper and you won't fail to learn something.........some of these lads knowledge of seasons and the

....Not sure where i wrote that. So you think these moronic rules like no shooting anywhere near a f***ing nest is a good idea do you? Why should a bird re-introduced have all these special powers. Wh

Posted Images

not at all mate..........more like a few men who enjoy the countryside with there dogs for free.........and them who look at the countryside as pound notes........... :thumbs:

Edited by lurcher1

There seems to be a prevailing sense that it,s wrong to mention the countryside and money in the same sentence , the countryside , if its going to remain countryside, needs to earn its keep , wether its arable farming ,livestock , or leisure , its got to pay its way , not all shooters are big fat millionaires , not all keepers shoot bop on sight ,not all lurcher men are salt of the earth good guys .

Pheasant shootimg , and its associated industries is a massive earner for the countryside , just like hunting ,people should relax and live and let live a bit more ,your not all that different

• Like 10
Guest ragumup

Imagine The Devestation On The BOP Population If Keepers/Land Owners Where Granted Permission To Kill BsOP They Thought Was Damaging There Sport . . There Numbers Would Tumble Over Night . . I Personally Think Any Bird Of Pray Would Be Shot On Site If Laws Allowed Those Ive Mentioned A Free Hand To Manage BsOP . . Or Should I Believe They Wouldnt Persecute Anything With A Hooked Bill In There Line Off Fire Unless They Knew It Was Affecting There Shoot ?

You sound a lot like the folk at the RSPB mate. Making out all keepers have no interest in the natural world, and no understanding of balance.. . . and that all keepers would shoot any BOP on sight. It's just not true.

Well Explain To Me How Certain Birds Became Extinct ? . . The Answer To That "PERSECUTION" When A Free Hand Was Given To Keepers/Land Owners Is What Has Me Thinking Along Them Lines . . But Feel Free To Tell Me Im Wrong Having Them Views !! . . Or Did They Just Die Out Naturally ;)

D.D.T

There seems to be a prevailing sense that it,s wrong to mention the countryside and money in the same sentence , the countryside , if its going to remain countryside, needs to earn its keep , wether its arable farming ,livestock , or leisure , its got to pay its way , not all shooters are big fat millionaires , not all keepers shoot bop on sight ,not all lurcher men are salt of the earth good guys .

Pheasant shootimg , and its associated industries is a massive earner for the countryside , just like hunting ,people should relax and live and let live a bit more ,your not all that different

well said mate.......... :thumbs:

Imagine The Devestation On The BOP Population If Keepers/Land Owners Where Granted Permission To Kill BsOP They Thought Was Damaging There Sport . . There Numbers Would Tumble Over Night . . I Personally Think Any Bird Of Pray Would Be Shot On Site If Laws Allowed Those Ive Mentioned A Free Hand To Manage BsOP . . Or Should I Believe They Wouldnt Persecute Anything With A Hooked Bill In There Line Off Fire Unless They Knew It Was Affecting There Shoot ?

You sound a lot like the folk at the RSPB mate. Making out all keepers have no interest in the natural world, and no understanding of balance.. . . and that all keepers would shoot any BOP on sight. It's just not true.

Well Explain To Me How Certain Birds Became Extinct ? . . The Answer To That "PERSECUTION" When A Free Hand Was Given To Keepers/Land Owners Is What Has Me Thinking Along Them Lines . . But Feel Free To Tell Me Im Wrong Having Them Views !! . . Or Did They Just Die Out Naturally ;)

As has been said, DDT played a very large part, and yes, so did the persecution by certain folk. However, times have changed to SOME extent, and although any keeper worth his salt can see that BOPs can do a crazy amount of damage to their stock, I think most also understand the need for balance, and conservation up to a point. Suggesting that all keepers will kill any and every bird of prey on sight, is just pandering to the usual anti bollocks.

• Like 1

i think anyone with an oz of sense would realise it aint like that mate......... :hmm: the hawks, falcons, buzzards and eagles were here long before a pheasant or partridge...........they aint the cause of the problem...........its not their fault that a few thousand easy targets suddenly appear in the vicinity is it......... :hmm:

my real issue is when the money men come in...........kill it as it costs me money each year............. :censored:

also i think alot of gamekeepers aint really worth a wank nowadays and its there laziness thats to blame in the first place..........lose a few hundred birds to an animal that can be controlled but they never kept on top of them and blame the protected animals with the lame excuse of "i cant touch them"............... ;)

i no of one who put 800 poults in a pen that held an active earth with a litter of fox cubs in......... :doh: you can guess the results and guess who got the blame............. :hmm: all the silly twat had to do was check the earths or at least ask the local hunt to run a couple of hounds through.......... :victory:

So you are telling me that because an animal or bird is indigenous to the country, it's population levels are in no way effected by the provision of an ample and easily obtainable food source?

So if land was un keepered, and loads of pheasants were put down just for fun. . . . . the population of predators on that land would in no way increase as a result of the increased food source?

An oz of sense you say . . . . . . .

Now come on. . . . . the population levels of most species are effected by the food available, the predation levels and of course disease, climate and competition.

The piece of land we were discussing before. . . . . . the population of buzzards on it is as a direct result of the game birds released there. A point that was proven, when no game birds were released for a couple of years due to the foot and mouth outbreak. The buzzard population crashed and starving birds were found everywhere, as unfortunatly this particular piece of land does not hold and hare and very very few rabbits.

On that same piece of and, whilst a huge number of birds are lost to BOPs, next to no birds are lost to other predators, and pretty much nine to poaching, or disease. The Bop account for almost the entire butchers bill.

One problem you may have hit on, is how many folk call them selves a keeper, but basically just rent some land to shoot on, and have next to no knowledge of how to go about the things that need to be done.

Whether you like it or not, game shooting in this country IS part of our cultural heritage and tradition, and whilst you may not personally like many folk who shoot, or keeper, you can surely see the positives???

For the record, I keeper, but I don't like shooting at all! It does nothing for me, but I do enjoy running the place and looking after the land, of which the game birds are only one part.

not at all mate..........more like a few men who enjoy the countryside with there dogs for free.........and them who look at the countryside as pound notes........... :thumbs:

It's a very similar argument as those who labelled everyone who went out with the hounds as a rich man, on a horse who just liked drinking sherry and having a raz around the countryside trying to kill shit.

• Like 2

Worked as a ghillie on an estate up north, got this torie/snob/millionaire pish everytime I came home from all the local dog lads.

The man that owned the estate ploughed god knows how much money into it, employed people, helped the local rural economy, planted trees and hedgerows etc, donated prizes to the local agricultural shows etc, the list goes on.

I'll ask all the blinkered hard done by dogmen on here the same thing I asked my mates all those years ago, what do you contribute to the countryside, what have you ever put back, at a guess, I'd say zilch.

• Like 5

There's lots of reasons that certain animals are no longer seen in this country and I would suggest the main cause over the last 60 years would be building over every f***ing thing !!........loss of habitat is the elephant in the room

There's not many heart strings can get pulled by the various " charity's " by saying " don't let them build a housing estate of the poor falcon will die out".......they have to make up some gory story about " nasty" toffs and their evil employees killing everything !!

You won't get many raptors nesting on the roofs of some faceless box housing estate with its leisure centre and feeding out of the bins !!

" they paved paradise and put up a parking lot " ;)

• Like 5

There's lots of reasons that certain animals are no longer seen in this country and I would suggest the main cause over the last 60 years would be building over every f*****g thing !!........loss of habitat is the elephant in the room

There's not many heart strings can get pulled by the various " charity's " by saying " don't let them build a housing estate of the poor falcon will die out".......they have to make up some gory story about " nasty" toffs and their evil employees killing everything !!

You won't get many raptors nesting on the roofs of some faceless box housing estate with its leisure centre and feeding out of the bins !!

SPOT ON.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94bdMSCdw20

"'Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone"

Edited by Ideation
  • Like 1

There's lots of reasons that certain animals are no longer seen in this country and I would suggest the main cause over the last 60 years would be building over every f*****g thing !!........loss of habitat is the elephant in the room

I will tell you now that's why the government are cutting national health service funds ,...................and without going into detail it killed me wife ......they know were breeding like rats and with breeding comes building and they aint interested in cures for disease..........there trying to balance it out ..............and putting more cuts to wages of health service and adding work on is definitely in there interest............and us pay the price ...........your a number of society and the more we populate the more your a minority......... :thumbs:

SPOT ON.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94bdMSCdw20

"'Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone"

The above quote rings true in the last 70 years the number of keepers has fallen by over 90% there are fewer than 5000 of us left and that number falls every year like us or no the world will be a poorer place when we've gone.

• Like 2

ill hold my hands up now and admit i found this thread yesterday when i typed "the hunting life general" on my mates comp, you can all do it and this thread will be on the top page and it got on my tits some of the views on there.......... :censored:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/51979-Hunting-Life-quot-been-caught-poaching-need-advise-quot

rake aboot did a sterling job on that thread.........if it was me, i doubt id still be able to post on there........... :tongue2: few hours later i come home and read this thread and labs post........... :thumbdown:

NOW the thing is the story that the stalkers talk about was a stupid thing to admit to (if true) but the stalkers all jumped on with some pretty nasty stuff about lurcherman.............. :thumbdown:

most of your replies about non keepers knowing feck all about the countryside are as bad as that lot on lurchers.............and that says it all..........a man big into running deer is a hero on this hunting forum...... but on another hunting forum he is a scumbag........... :hmm:

there's no right or wrong in hunting.........every one of us will have a different method to the next one, end of the day it is the ultimate result industry.......... :yes:

you can enjoy the countryside as much as me.........plough all your money into it and sit on that peg shooting pheasants untill you hearts content........i really wish you all the best and that you enjoy many a season at it from now...........just dont shoot an eagle around me as i wouldnt agree with that.........same as i wouldnt of lamped a deer in your presence............ ;)

plenty of things on either side that can be said..........but the reality is its the lurcher side of the equation that gets the worst deal............id bet my last pound coin you would never find an article about illegal pest control activities written by a lurcherman in a weekly lurcherman magazine...........yet can the same be said for illegal lurcher poaching activities in a weekly shooting magazine........... :hmm::hmm:

can it f**k........... :victory:

Edited by lurcher1

i think anyone with an oz of sense would realise it aint like that mate......... :hmm: the hawks, falcons, buzzards and eagles were here long before a pheasant or partridge...........they aint the cause of the problem...........its not their fault that a few thousand easy targets suddenly appear in the vicinity is it......... :hmm:

my real issue is when the money men come in...........kill it as it costs me money each year............. :censored:

also i think alot of gamekeepers aint really worth a wank nowadays and its there laziness thats to blame in the first place..........lose a few hundred birds to an animal that can be controlled but they never kept on top of them and blame the protected animals with the lame excuse of "i cant touch them"............... ;)

i no of one who put 800 poults in a pen that held an active earth with a litter of fox cubs in......... :doh: you can guess the results and guess who got the blame............. :hmm: all the silly twat had to do was check the earths or at least ask the local hunt to run a couple of hounds through.......... :victory:

So you are telling me that because an animal or bird is indigenous to the country, it's population levels are in no way effected by the provision of an ample and easily obtainable food source?

So if land was un keepered, and loads of pheasants were put down just for fun. . . . . the population of predators on that land would in no way increase as a result of the increased food source?

An oz of sense you say . . . . . . .

Now come on. . . . . the population levels of most species are effected by the food available, the predation levels and of course disease, climate and competition.

The piece of land we were discussing before. . . . . . the population of buzzards on it is as a direct result of the game birds released there. A point that was proven, when no game birds were released for a couple of years due to the foot and mouth outbreak. The buzzard population crashed and starving birds were found everywhere, as unfortunatly this particular piece of land does not hold and hare and very very few rabbits.

On that same piece of and, whilst a huge number of birds are lost to BOPs, next to no birds are lost to other predators, and pretty much nine to poaching, or disease. The Bop account for almost the entire butchers bill.

One problem you may have hit on, is how many folk call them selves a keeper, but basically just rent some land to shoot on, and have next to no knowledge of how to go about the things that need to be done.

Whether you like it or not, game shooting in this country IS part of our cultural heritage and tradition, and whilst you may not personally like many folk who shoot, or keeper, you can surely see the positives???

For the record, I keeper, but I don't like shooting at all! It does nothing for me, but I do enjoy running the place and looking after the land, of which the game birds are only one part.

ok your a keeper...........how long for??? and what did you do before that mate??? back packed over europe for years............ :D

jai i admire the fact your having a go mate.........good luck........... :victory: