A Evening Of Three

Hi guys

I have been rather inactive the last couple of weeks on the hunting front, mainly because the suspension has collapsed on my classic mini, and I am in the middle of restoring a 20+ year old shotgun which hasn't seen the light of day for 16 years. I went last week to no avail. However I have been talking to the land lady and the abundance of pheasant that there are now, picking off the remaining fields of jersey royals(once again I will state jersey has different laws on pheasant and they can be shot all year round as a pest as long as you have a special licence distributed by the environment control because we have no game birds over here,which I am lucky enough to have been granted.)

So I got to my permission yesterday about 6 zeroing and placing my first two shots about an inch left requiring 5 or so clicks right where I proceeded with 3 shots pellet on pellet. A LESSON TO ZERO BEFORE ANY PEST CONTROL/HUNTINH

Satisfied and a quick chat with the land lady who often sees me pull up, I got into my LLCS and proceeded to my first rabbit warren. Checking the wind making sure to enter the best way with the wind facing I spotted my first, most of my permission has kits on at the moment, which are still doing quite a bit of damage, but I try my hardest to let them grow a bit before hand. Taking aim about 30 yards on a slight decline (now with help from si and the like zeroing my weapon at 27 yards meaning little hold over) I placed the crosshairs on its head, unfortunly the abundance of long grass and weeds now meant I just wouldn't get an accurate pellet down range. What to do I thought. Making the weapon safe and putting it behind me I crawled forward slowly patting down the long grass a handful at a time till I had a nice gap for my rifle, and clear scope. Edging back and picking up the 200 again, making the bipod level and taking a few breaths to calm myself I eased the trigger and down she goes. A quick look to see if anything else is around and off i go to pick her up.... Off the mark.

Once drained and gutted I moved off to another corner of a field where a Cockbird has been the last few times I have been down, unfortunately I haven't been able to get him. This time however I slowly creeped up onto the bun lline and peered through the grass, sure enough there he was, a little out of my comfort zone of 45 yards as i was in quite an uncomfortable position on the bipod. A second later two kits come running out to play around it which aided me as it moved within range of 35 yards. Waiting for what seemed like an hour it finally rests its head to look at something over the far edge of the field long enough for me to place the crosshairs on the base of its neck and thwack a few flaps as the nerves kick in and down it goes... Not bad for an hours work.

The next half hour was spent stalking pigeons in the woods which unfortunately didn't land me with anything. I knew I was on early tomorrow for work so thought I would take a slow stroll back to the car, half an hour was spent on the return stalking a rabbit which turned out to be a small kit, which I left. Upon standing and sorting my kit out for the return to the car I realised the kit was none the wiser and still munching 30 yards infront of me.

On the return to the car I spotted a rabbit in the final field and got to within 30 yards of it only to find more long vegetation in my way, this time as I was making a gap it bolted which I wasn't surprised about, on kneeling up I took a quick scan to see nothing but a nice Cockbird poke its head up from the farmers early sown mustard, a kneeling unsupported shot at 15yards and down it goes with a slightflap.

What an evening! checking the time I hung them for today to skin and pluck.

A nice bit of food for the freezer.

A few pics

null-28.jpg

null-29.jpg

Hope you enjoyed

Craig

• Like 2

The grass round mine is horrendous, in one way it's good because you can stalk over an open field now because you can crawl through the grass, but flattening enough for a shot is hit and miss because the rabbits see it move down, that or the sound of some of the more established grass cracks as you break the stalks

good stuff

regaurding the zero thing, try not to use any permanant features, they look like theyre shothun peppered after a few month..really pee's the owner off.

I have a 1 foot by 30 cm but if MDF which I have made legs so u can hammer it into the ground, just put price tag circles from a shop on them and there is a bun line behind where the rounds go into if they go through :)

good stuff

regaurding the zero thing, try not to use any permanant features, they look like theyre shothun peppered after a few month..really pee's the owner off.

I have a 1 foot by 30 cm but if MDF which I have made legs so u can hammer it into the ground, just put price tag circles from a shop on them and there is a bun line behind where the rounds go into if they go through :)

sorted then :thumbs: