Hancock Knockers,

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was Talking to my old friend, Jimmy, 75 years young, He said he had to put his old bitch to sleep, she was 13+ she had lost power in her back-end, he was a bit down about the old bitch as she had

I've often thought of the peddler tag many attach to Hancock and I'm not sure it's entirely fair or accurate...Hancock's a commercial lurcher breeder and he's never made any secret of this...I have kn

I have bought of Hancock, and there again I have bought of Phil Lloyd. I saw no difference in the condition of each of the pups. Each pup had been well fed and looked after. The kennels at Hancocks pl

Nice story good to hear the old fella is sorted after his loss :thumbs:

Hancock knockers whats that about are you wanting to start an argument? :hmm:

Yeah can't beat a good row - I'll start it...Hancocks??? They're all shit...never seen a goodun...ever... :D

• Like 2

I like the look of the dogs he produces, I know some have made top dogs, I was just brought up that money and dogs don't mix, fair enough if a lad breeds a litter now and again and sells a few pups no problem atall, but someone who keeps and breeds dogs for money is something I wouldn't support hel sell a dog to anyone, shame because I tried to find a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie for a stud and I know he has stud dogs but again I wouldn't support him or line his pocket, same old argument really mate, if someone had a Hancock half x and lined it with a grey and I was in the lookout for a pup I'd take one on, but I just wouldn't give him the money

nice story, regards hancocks dogs, i wouldnt have one mainly because the dogs he keeps (now) never go out of his kennels and never seen a rabbit.But some people do have them and are happy with them, and that all that matters .I did have 1/2 bred hancock dog in the late 80s, Blaze was richard jones to a 1/4 collie x 3/4 grey bitch from north wales ,and this bitch had took most stuff .Blaze was good fox dog ive write about him before, ok on rabbits but not as good as Bryn my 1x colliex grey now who was bred(local) of a lad on here. I suppose you take a chance where ever you get your pup from , there good+crap in the same litter .Had mate had 1/4 collie x 3/4 grey from him he was happy with it, that took fox and few hare and ok on rabbits.If i ever had anothercolliex prob have colliexgrey x bullx grey 1/4 collie pleny enough i think. And regards the keeper in the story, them kind worth the weight in gold, most ive met hate lurchers. and never let you on there land :yes:

• Like 1

I find the comment, his dogs never see a Rabbit interesting.

I have seen a few first crosses and 3/4 crosses but have never seen a Hancock bred dog, the reason is, im not far from one of the best and well supported flapping tracks .Bitches due to retirement can usually be sourced. these would be taken to a good working leggy Border Collie, that worked livestock, not rabbits,

I always thought the collie was quite an easy stud to use, if say someone was looking for a Lurcher, or Bedlington stud then the working abilities would be more scrutinized.

The collies I seen being used, mainly worked Sheep, had good stamina and brain, but rabbiting dogs they were not.

Getting back to Hancock, if he is using retired track Greyhounds to a Border collie of working lines, well there's not much difference, apart from the hill Collies will be a lot fitter.

And if he breeds of his Greyhound bitches every season, it cant be much of a life.

But there again the ones i seen bred, once the litter was 8wks the greyhound was gone.

The thing that would worry me, is his older pups for sale, as there has been a few posts on here stating these pups were difficult due to not being socialized. which is probably the most important part of a pups training.

• Like 3

dictionary definintion of peddling:.....to travel about selling wares ie peddling door to door, to engage in the illicit sale of (narcotics), to seek to disseminate to give out (peddling lies)

can't see anything about successfully and honestly running a dog breeding kennels for decades,writing or photography

• Like 3

dictionary definintion of peddling:.....to travel about selling wares ie peddling door to door, to engage in the illicit sale of (narcotics), to seek to disseminate to give out (peddling lies)

can't see anything about successfully and honestly running a dog breeding kennels for decades,writing or photography

I've often thought of the peddler tag many attach to Hancock and I'm not sure it's entirely fair or accurate...Hancock's a commercial lurcher breeder and he's never made any secret of this...I have known David Hancock for almost 30 years...and he's nothing, if not one of the most honest guys I have ever dealt with...everything he sells he has bred on the premises, knows the ancestry of and has an in depth knowledge of what he's breeding...to my mind a puppy peddler will buy in dogs and litters no matter the breed or provenance and sell them to anyone to make a buck ans isn't too concerned about their welfare...Hancock has been breeding lurchers for 30 years...he must be doing something right...mustn't he...? If he wasn't trade would have dried up years ago and he'da been a footnote in lurcher history...

I'm not Hancock obsessed - yeah I have had four from him now...and if I am honest there have been times I have visited his yard and been unimpressed wit the general cleanliness and living conditions but he must be meeting the requirements of his local council...sadly that level at times has fallen short of how I think things should be done...things have improved at Blake Farm and on my last couple of visits I have been impressed...I also know loads of lads who have been back time and again just like me...and are more then happy...

Neither am I 'breed blind' I have other breeds here and have a collie x grey pup bred by someone who you'll never hear of...I initially went to Hancock away back in the day as I had been victim of someone who I would come to class as a peddler, a liar and a charlatan...I simply needed to know what I was buying and David Hancock provided me with just that...

No easy task running a successful business for 30 years in such a fickle fashion driven game as this...one thing though collie xs are still in demand and appear to be the one constant in the running dog game...

But the above if just my opinion...sure there'll be loads who'll disagree... :thumbs:

• Like 14

Why try to start an argument?

He produces a shit load of dogs, some will be good, some will be shite. Some of that will be down to the owner, some of it the dog, or the breeding.

To be honest though, stick a grey and a collie together, and for the most part, you will end up with dogs that can catch stuff, at least rabbits etc.

But at the end of the day. . . .. some folk just don't like puppy farmers.

• Like 2

Why try to start an argument?

He produces a shit load of dogs, some will be good, some will be shite. Some of that will be down to the owner, some of it the dog, or the breeding.

To be honest though, stick a grey and a collie together, and for the most part, you will end up with dogs that can catch stuff, at least rabbits etc.

But at the end of the day. . . .. some folk just don't like puppy farmers.

Ideation, I think the above has hit the nail in the head, the Collie x Greyhounds I seen probably would have made decent ferreting Dogs, and most would have managed a rabbit, would you rather give your well earned dosh, to someone who is breeding to get himself a pup, or someone who is breeding for ££££.and is a business, well

That choice is up to you.

• Like 1

:hmm:Everyone is entitled to an opinion,...and that is the truth,....and same as most,..I have mine.....

However,..what I would say, is that the majority of lads and lassies who purchase these animals,..often seem to have a real loyalty, towards their chosen hybrid, and to the person, who sold it to them...

I am only a casual breeder of cur types,..choosing to produce a few pups for my own use,.as and when needed,.but I have always felt that the folk who travel all over the UK, to secure a new member of the pack,..and ocassionaly..accept whatever shortcomings or problems that they may encounter ,..would be just the kind of keen and caring people that I would be happy enough to award my own pups to.... :yes:

Just a thought,...nothing more...

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 7