Gain Dog Food

I had my 3 on field and trail before switching to gain 28 just before I went back offshore to work for two weeks, any way I've came home and they are looking really really well on it. My bull cross seemed to have dry skin with the skinners field and trail and since switching to gain it seems to have cleared up and has a lovely shine to his coat now. I'm feeding raw mixed with the gain and home made raw rabbit and veg mince.

Gain was reccomended from a few lads down my way and don't think ill use out else now, £13 odd quid for 15kg is a good price too. Gets the thumbs up from me

Fair enough your dogs are looking good on it, but why add more protein with meat, when you are feeding 28% protein.

I received info on feeding gain from the rep, for my working whippet, who said to feed Gain 28% on its own.

if adding raw meat which i was planning, to feed Gain 20% with a supplement.

Could try keeping a sack of both 20 and 28%,I do this with the red mills and make a mix,of varying amounts depending on how much exercise/work the dogs have had,also feed meat,carcass,tins of fish etc,dogs look ok on it

• Like 2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure you did mate...he's a rep...on commission maybe?????? Feed it on its own...feed more... shovel it in...don't add anything and I'll deliver another two bags next week...   The way I have

I can recall the early days of "complete" dog scran..it was called Solo and £4 a bag lol...it was sheep heads split with an axe,meat from the knackersyard,bread and veg..the dogs always ran ok on it i

Could try keeping a sack of both 20 and 28%,I do this with the red mills and make a mix,of varying amounts depending on how much exercise/work the dogs have had,also feed meat,carcass,tins of fish etc

I had my 3 on field and trail before switching to gain 28 just before I went back offshore to work for two weeks, any way I've came home and they are looking really really well on it. My bull cross seemed to have dry skin with the skinners field and trail and since switching to gain it seems to have cleared up and has a lovely shine to his coat now. I'm feeding raw mixed with the gain and home made raw rabbit and veg mince.

Gain was reccomended from a few lads down my way and don't think ill use out else now, £13 odd quid for 15kg is a good price too. Gets the thumbs up from me

Fair enough your dogs are looking good on it, but why add more protein with meat, when you are feeding 28% protein.

I received info on feeding gain from the rep, for my working whippet, who said to feed Gain 28% on its own.

I'm sure you did mate...he's a rep...on commission maybe?????? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Feed it on its own...feed more... :toast: shovel it in...don't add anything and I'll deliver another two bags next week...

The way I have always done it is...feed the complete...whatever % and add meat or fish or whatever...so, I probably use less complete than someone just feeding complete on its own... :thumbs:

• Like 4

gain biscuit is just that biscuit from cereals used it for yrs in very little moderation ,saves using the the bread and works out cheeeper . saying that iwould put it above lots off other biscuit for the price . atb bunnys..

• Like 2

I dont think the rep thought he was getting sales, as i told him right away, i only had one whippet, and i fed raw.

we all have different feeding regimes, and what ever works fair enough,

i am currently feeding my 12 wk pup four times a day, two meals of Gain puppy and two of raw with veg.

i am only saying what done well for me, when my whippet was an adult and working, he was fed 1lb raw mince Beef, Lamb, or Rabbit veg, a handful of Gain 20% and a scoop of Keepers mix. two raw chicken wings for breakfast,

and he looked well on it.

This is what my pup will eventually go on.

I would never just feed complete, but as i said we are all different. some feed Barf, some feed only a complete, and some use half meat half complete, so if your dog looks good and works well in feeding regime, then stick to it.

Im not stupid, i know reps will push feed, I only stated that he said adding meat to 28% would be too much protein for my Whippet.

I'm sure you did mate...he's a rep...on commission maybe?????? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Feed it on its own...feed more... :toast: shovel it in...don't add anything and I'll deliver another two bags next week...

The way I have always done it is...feed the complete...whatever % and add meat or fish or whatever...so, I probably use less complete than someone just feeding complete on its own... :thumbs:

I have been using gain for 3-4 years now and the rep I get it from also runs 29-30 greyhounds on the track , he told me gain is perfect for mixing with raw and I have never had any problems with it , before gain I tried several types including redmills and found the consistency varied so much that it would upset the dogs but to date no such problems with gain , I collect my gain 28 from Yarmouth greyhound stadium and it costs me £10.50.

• Like 1

I dont think the Rep thought he was going to make commission on someone with one Whippet. :D

I only stated i fed him 1lb of raw, and wanted to add a handful of complete to his meal what would he recommend.

Gain 28% or Gain 20% as I said, he thought the 28 would be to much protein for the dog.

in fact the Gain 20 which he said would be better, is cheaper than the other.

He could be right or wrong, but he definitely didn't think he would be delivering two bags a week :bye:

I dont think the rep thought he was getting sales, as i told him right away, i only had one whippet, and i fed raw.

we all have different feeding regimes, and what ever works fair enough,

i am currently feeding my 12 wk pup four times a day, two meals of Gain puppy and two of raw with veg.

i am only saying what done well for me, when my whippet was an adult and working, he was fed 1lb raw mince Beef, Lamb, or Rabbit veg, a handful of Gain 20% and a scoop of Keepers mix. two raw chicken wings for breakfast,

and he looked well on it.

This is what my pup will eventually go on.

I would never just feed complete, but as i said we are all different. some feed Barf, some feed only a complete, and some use half meat half complete, so if your dog looks good and works well in feeding regime, then stick to it.

Im not stupid, i know reps will push feed, I only stated that he said adding meat to 28% would be too much protein for my Whippet.

I let my pups eat at lib puppy and sapling

• Like 1

feed my pups on gain puppy and sapling meat twice aweek, gain record breaker for the older ones but I run them for 6 to 8 miles on the beach every day other wise they climb the walls

How your dogs getting with record breaker was thinking of going over to that as you know exactly what's in it.

I can recall the early days of "complete" dog scran..it was called Solo and £4 a bag lol...it was sheep heads split with an axe,meat from the knackersyard,bread and veg..the dogs always ran ok on it infact the best dogs I ever owned were from the era of NO complete feed..

Andy...I'm long enough in the tooth to recall out agri merchant stocking 2 brands of complete...Happidog and Wilsons...both grain based and not ideally suitable for dogs...lots of shepherds in the valley fed their dogs on nothing more than flaked maize and milk from the 'hoose coo' even as a young un I had enough savvy to realise that wasn't gonna get the best outta my dogs...I used to go weekly to our local killing house to fill two drums with sheeps heads and paunches...at the time they were 10 pence each...dogs thrived on them...and were fed lamb/mutton whenever I had a useable casualty...good old days... :thumbs:

• Like 1

I used to visit an old Flapping track Greyhound enthusiast, if you visited him at teatime, his Wife would be cooking the Mince and Tatties, and on the next gas ring would be the Sheeps Heids boiling away for the Dugs.

I will never forget that smell. :bad:

• Like 1

I can recall the early days of "complete" dog scran..it was called Solo and £4 a bag lol...it was sheep heads split with an axe,meat from the knackersyard,bread and veg..the dogs always ran ok on it infact the best dogs I ever owned were from the era of NO complete feed..

Andy...I'm long enough in the tooth to recall out agri merchant stocking 2 brands of complete...Happidog and Wilsons...both grain based and not ideally suitable for dogs...lots of shepherds in the valley fed their dogs on nothing more than flaked maize and milk from the 'hoose coo' even as a young un I had enough savvy to realise that wasn't gonna get the best outta my dogs...I used to go weekly to our local killing house to fill two drums with sheeps heads and paunches...at the time they were 10 pence each...dogs thrived on them...and were fed lamb/mutton whenever I had a useable casualty...good old days... :thumbs:

Happidog lol..that was it mate,not Solo..just Euveka and a few other bits of shite lol...I went to that Pets at Home the other night for some flea & tick collars,holy shit some of that complete food costs more than a weekly shop to feed a family! If you don't worm regularly,keep them free of fleas and ticks and other parasites etc and in good clean conditions it makes little odds what you feed them...treat them how you would like to be treat yourself..

• Like 1

Happidog lol..that was it mate,not Solo..just Euveka and a few other bits of shite lol...I went to that Pets at Home the other night for some flea & tick collars,holy shit some of that complete food costs more than a weekly shop to feed a family! If you don't worm regularly,keep them free of fleas and ticks and other parasites etc and in good clean conditions it makes little odds what you feed them...treat them how you would like to be treat yourself..

The old Happidog had yellow and pink lumps in it that when soaked swelled and resembled tiny sponges...ha ha...not sure dogs were ever meant to eat that...one old shepherd fed the Happidog and when his dogs shit, his hens used to come along and eat the grain filled dogshits...and we used to have breakfast there a few times a year after gatherings...gave the eggs a miss tho... :laugh:

• Like 1

feed my pups on gain puppy and sapling meat twice aweek, gain record breaker for the older ones but I run them for 6 to 8 miles on the beach every day other wise they climb the walls

How your dogs getting with record breaker was thinking of going over to that as you know exactly what's in it.

getting on very well with it,but as was said before if they not getting the work drives them abit made,hope that helps,atb mp