Spinning For Trout In Scotland

Spinning for trout isn't anywhere near as popular as it used to be. Best spinning method for brownies by a long way is the diving minnow. We regularly caught 20-30-40 on places like Loch Ba with it. Looking back the amount of fish caught was obscene but that was the way then. Thankfully its very rarely used now. My old man used to make up the mounts out lead in a mould...a swivel and a couple of size 16 trebles. It's a very simple method if you can get the mounts. If I were ever to go spinning for trout again it's the only method I would use. Try googling it...you may be able to get the info there ;-)

Edited by AirgunGuy
  • Like 1

plenty places to spin a we size 0 mepp is also a good we spinner or small toby loch awe is a great water for spinning and there is plenty more loch ba would be good one to start full of wild brown trout and you could also take your dogs but you would need to watch your beddy whippet as there is plenty of stags on the moor wouldnt want your dog getting you into bother when it takes one :laugh:

Any of the bigger lochs like Tay, Awe, Clunie, Arkaig, Quiach, Oich, Ba...all good lochs to fish with the minnow. Took many hundreds of fish from these lochs during the 80's with my old man. The good thing about it now is that when the rainbow boom hit in the late 80's many people went from this type of fishing to stillwater fishing so these lochs all got a break from the hammering they got at the time. Bus loads used to take 500+ fish from some of these lochs at a time. I've heard that these lochs have good heads of fish in them again and many people are fishing them again though with the fly and a bit of conservation in mind...only taking a few for the pot. I loved fishing these lochs as boy with my old man and would love to fish them again but the salmon bug took hold when in my 20's so I don't see me ever going back to the trout again other than a bit of rainbow bashin in the summer when the rivers are low ;-)

Edited by AirgunGuy

Wee loch ! hahahha

AYe,, me and Kittle are takin the kayak up there this summer annaw.

Was up Preistlaw a coupla months back as well and found the wee feeder burn that has the stunning little falls on it.