Come On Lads Help Us Out (Young Lad Trying To Get A Lurcher In)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not that important, I went 15 + years with out having any where I was aloud to work it! A technicallity that. Don't let that stop you. You need experience to gain permission/ keep it and to get exper

do what i use to do just go get the dog bring it home and when your mum sees it just say ah mam look at how small and nice it is they soon fall for them and bobs ur uncle i got away with this till i m

I was in your position nearly 30 years ago. they gave in eventually. bought a shed and built a run and flagged it.made a raised bed inside and wired it that is my job electrician. if i kept a dog on o

Where in Yorkshire are you beware of Desmond hes one of them things what do you call it Desmond?

A Nonse

Who were you taking with you last season :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

The lad in question told us he was big mates with a lad called jonty off another site so we thought he must be half right

Infact he said that they where more like brothers then mates ;)

you need to get your parents on side, show them how keen and interested you are, and how committed to looking after the dog right. and remember its a long commitment to have a dog, your folks dont want to be having to look after it for the next ten years!! build a nice good run and house outside before you get the pup, do a really good job to show the folks how seriously you are taking it. and dont worry about the pet dog, it will most proably just play with the pup and be some company for it. and no, personally i dont think a saluki grey is necessarily the right first-time dog either

• Like 1

a saluki grey is a no no for a first imho pain in the arse to train i'd go bull x whippet would have been my choice but i got a saluki lumped on me by a mate who had to take a holiday at her majesty's pleasure lol hope all goes well with the dog mate i'd go out with people you know with different breeds and see which type suits your needs best

Where in Yorkshire are you beware of Desmond hes one of them things what do you call it Desmond?

A Nonse
The lad in question told us he was big mates with a lad called jonty off another site so we thought he must be half right

So you go out with people because there my mates,im some boy :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

A Nonse

So you go out with people because there my mates,im some boy :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:hmm::tongue2:

I was in almost exactly the same boat - mum wasn't sure of a dog, brother is cat obsessed and hates dogs and I had my other small furry pets to worry about!

I think if you want an indoor dog, a small whippet is ideal - they take up very little space on the sofa, don't shed much hair at all, don't dribble or smell when they get rained on, smart little dogs and very friendly and trainable. your parents will love them - my mum HATED dogs till we got a whippety lurcher and now she's obsessed with running dogs!

if you decide to keep it outdoors is should have some bedlington or collie in it for the toughness and thicker coat for colder nights. perhaps a collie/grey/saluki cross? although I hear they're a lot of dog for a first timer. there's some really smart kennels around these days that won't ruin the look of a garden, but personally I think outdoor dogs make a lot more noise and you don't get such a bond with them.

remember, a saluki/grey will turn out pretty tall, if you want a rabbiting dog to work with the ferrets you might want to go with something smaller, so the whippet might be a better match. maybe a 3/4whip 1/4 beddy or something could be useful, the beddy in it will make it hardier so could live in a kennel if need be too.

Edited by Vicky Steadman

I remember my mum not letting me have a dog when I was young.. What I did was I went out got one and told her I found it in a local park piss wet throw shivering under a bush, she couldn't say no to that lol

I always wanted to try the "I picked it up off the road, can we keep it" excuse lol, I know my mum would fall in love with any baby animal if she thought it had been mistreated or abandoned haha