Which Springer???

It used to be the case that fixed barrel air rifles such as under levers like the tx and 97 were more accurate as over time some of the less well engineered break barrels would be prone to the barrel moving slightly out of alignment. But that was more of a concern for ft or hft shooters as pinpoint accuracy is everything.

These days as long as you get a decent make break barrel they are just as accurate as a fixed barrel rifle mate. Not worth worrying about at all.

The 80 is probably one of the best break barrel springers out there but a rifle I had never really looked into until recently when a friend showed me theirs is the HW98 which is a break barrel with customised stock from standard. Adjustable butt pad, adjustable cheek piece, and a fluted stock with stippling instead of cheaquering on the fore grip and handle. It also has a weighted barrel shroud which helps with accuracy as it keeps muzzle jump down. A truly lovely rifle mate and one I hope to own in the future and well within your price bracket!

However the mighty tx200 and hw97 are equally as good and give you an under lever option and weigh more to help soak up recoil.

I'm afraid its all personal choice as they are all as good at each other. Your best option is to go shoulder them all but generally speaking you can't go wrong with anything with a Air Arms logo or HW logo on it.

Hope this helps.

Oh and the K or carbine version of all springers is just personal choice as to what balances best for you when holding it. Full length or K version no difference in accuracy.

Only really becomes significant in pcp rifles where the K version sometimes means less shots per fill.

Phil

just had a quick look. its something ive never thought about, or heard much about, the .20 cal

seems theres jsb exact FTT crosman premiers and a few more top quality pellets ive heard of.

never had a .20 so its going to be more of an experiment than anything. IF i end up getting one, lol. and love the look of them laminate hw77k's

If I was looking to spend some of my hard earned on a decent springer then I'd be looking at a good used rifle at around two hundred quid, give or take. AA or German, around ten or more years old.

Their build quality was way much better than it is today and if the gun's been looked after properly then all you'll need to fork out for is a good service at best.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

Not sure your location but Blackpool air guns have got a hw 77k second hand. its a real beauty in .22. I would have hone for it myself but just recently got a hw97k older version stock in mint condition. my wife wants me to stop taking it to bed with me and feels unloved since the gun arrived. As stated earlier quality guns you cant go wrong with.

• Like 1

Its not sure, that a break barrel have less accuracy than a fixed barrel. It depends on the situation. A 40 year old HW 35 has not so much accuracy than a new one. It depends on the care of it. I change the small brass washers at the barrel screw on all my breakers every two years or so. If i shoot it much. So i have always a good closing of the barrel.

My HW 35 Export is accurate as hell.

For field Target i use the 97 K Black line. So, there u don´t have anything to do with this breaker problems.

Its your chioce, but the 80 is one of the strongest rifles here in Germany.

Hope i helped you :-)

• Like 1

Another vote here for the mighty 80. Although I'd be looking for a tidy 15+ year old one for around 150 notes cos then you could have it tuned by an expert and still have plenty left over for a good scope and mounts.or tune it yourself and get a very good scope!

Cheers,wurz

• Like 1