Just Had My Fac Interview

I put down .17HMR and .223 but he said no chance due to lack of experience. He recommended a .22 rimmy to start with. I said fair enough on the centre-fire but my argument for the HMR was that the ground is full of flint and the .22 might bounce.

He said its almost not worth worrying about.He said even if you do get the odd flyer it will be OK because you wont be shooting anywhere near anything where this will matter (fair point). He would rather me have a .22 because of how flat the HMR shoots and if it missed a target it would fly alot further before coming down on its own accord.

So a .22 semi auto with moderator it seems..... Still pretty happy though. I'm on the ladder!!

He advised me to be known to put plenty of ammo through it a apply for the HMR and .223 in 6-9 months and he would give it the thumbs up.

Only one piece of land I submitted has been cleared so 2 land checks which should be fine for the .22 I reckon...

He said waiting times are about 2 or 3 months, maybe more if land needs to be passed...

Kent Police.....

Sounds reasonable, but I would have let you have the hmr,the rimmy will teach you plenty mate,as you say your foot is on the ladder,put loads of ammo through it,get some more land maybe,he is being quite fair I think saying apply again in 6-9 months,when you have built up some experience :thumbs:

• Like 1

You only need 1 bit of land to have good reason so there is no reason for them to delay because you have submitted more land.

The reason he knocked me down to the .22lr was due to lack of experience and gave me valid reasons why the .22lr is a much safer calibre for a first time applicant to learn with, without a mentor....

The land didn't come into it... :thumbs:

Edited by DeerhoundLurcherMan

They just put all their chicken bones into a bowl and throw them out mate, whatever lands on that day is what they go with

A rifle and a licence is better than no rifle or licence, you can always add to your collection later on and it gives you chance to master your 22 :thumbs:

ATB

Adam

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Glad you got your ticket , well done .I find it strange he thinks it ok for the odd "flyer" given the no1 priority is back stop ,I would have thought the 17 a safer option . Still as you say your on the ladder, enjoy the .22 and put in for the variation when advised .. :toast:

• Like 1

no method to the madness..

Yeah I have a friend in South Yorkshire who are one of the tightest forces in the Country with firearms in my experience.

He was granted an Open ticket on a .243 for deer with no previous experience of any firearm plus a .22 for use at a gun club. His wife also with no experience got granted a .22 and a .22-250 for deer (Scotland) also open ticket with no previous experience of any firearm.

Edited by Alsone