And has probably been the most successful sharpening tool in the history of mankind !

They have been in use since probably the creation of metal !!

If u could earn a living that way , I would only forge steel, shape with files and whetstone to perfection !!

100% no chance if effecting temper ( softening the steel with unwanted heat )

And the control of material removal is superb !

That and you can get stones that are 10,000 grit range so the Finnish will be the flattest mirror possible!

But who's going to pay for that ???

Only problem is a wet stone takes some carrying in the field and unless your proficient in stropping it up in the palm of your hand after the blades been on the stone ,plus all the other gadgets you would need to carry in the field like oil etc for the stone and a cloth and a detoxing kit before putting it to use to comply with FSA hygiene rules and contamination, Its a lot quicker for me in the field to carry a flat steel and if my knife looses an edge due to catching hard tissue a couple of strokes on the steel and it got back its usable edge. Dont forget my knifes not there to be pretty and to look at its a tool a working tool.

Buy all the crap gadget knife sharpeners you like but this id the baby that keep an edge on my gralloching knives.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/schrade-honesteel

wet stone has served me well for over 40 years don't think ill bother with anything else now ;)

It serves me well whilst I am at home as well if I have all the time in the world to pratt about using the stone and stropping it up afterwards but out in the field I need an instant edge as its used regular.

Cheers Stu

I just took a deer from field to larder dressed in an hour with one of my fieldcrafters only tickled it once .

I split the pelvis and sternum and removed head and feet .

Maybe a good knife doesn't need that much care ??

It's not just because I make them that I say this , if I had bought the knife I would still say it just louder to support the maker !

But the fieldcrafter is the best knife I have used outside the butchery industry!

I have photoed the whole thing and I'm going to take the animal from field to plate with the one knife to show its the man that limits it's use not the tool !

As you know there is nothing showie about my knives there designed as the hardest of working tools , nothing there that's not essential to a fine working edged tool !!

This is the first deer I have processed with a fieldcrafter . Iv had alot of stalkers tell me they can't be used on deer !!

That's just been proved wrong !

I think having a licences deer capable rifle has nothing to do with appropriate skill just some land and luck !

There's an awful lot of stalkers could do with a months work experience I a professional knife using environment !!

That's not aimed at anyone specific just my views from listening to alot of deer shooters.

A steel of any kind if I was carrying one tool would also be my choice !!

I just took a deer from field to larder dressed in an hour with one of my fieldcrafters only tickled it once .

I split the pelvis and sternum and removed head and feet .

Maybe a good knife doesn't need that much care ??

It's not just because I make them that I say this , if I had bought the knife I would still say it just louder to support the maker !

But the fieldcrafter is the best knife I have used outside the butchery industry!

I have photoed the whole thing and I'm going to take the animal from field to plate with the one knife to show its the man that limits it's use not the tool !

As you know there is nothing showie about my knives there designed as the hardest of working tools , nothing there that's not essential to a fine working edged tool !!

This is the first deer I have processed with a fieldcrafter . Iv had alot of stalkers tell me they can't be used on deer !!

That's just been proved wrong !

I think having a licences deer capable rifle has nothing to do with appropriate skill just some land and luck !

There's an awful lot of stalkers could do with a months work experience I a professional knife using environment !!

That's not aimed at anyone specific just my views from listening to alot of deer shooters.

A steel of any kind if I was carrying one tool would also be my choice !!

Agreed!!!

I use an opinel no 12 to do deer no probs.

I bought this knife in Regensburg ,Germany , in about 1968 think it was about £30 in those days its a" puma ."

ive dressed all manner of game with it over the years chopped sticks and crist knows whatelse . .I will never want another !!

ive sharpend it on old stones for years , bet itll be around for another 100 years yet if it doesent get lost

MAT , your knifes look very nice doupt ill be around but ,, in 40 years lets see if they can stand the test of time ,, good luck ;)

post-20594-0-29930200-1379412550_thumb.jpg

There's no doubt in my mind they will last longer than me !!!

I think infact I know I come from a totally different background to most other makers .

Years as a proper butchers and slaughter man , time served before that as kennel staff and skinner with the hounds . 30 years of Firldsports to . Nothing unusual in that statement but In The knife making world that's rare !!

I make all kinds of knives from the Damascus where I make my own steel through to the production knives under fieldcrafter name .

The one thing I feel I understand is what a knife should be and do , even the big Bowie knives are built so that they could be used for the original purpose !

If a knife looks pretty when it's finished then there's no harm done as long as its not a compromise of ability .

Iv spent hundreds of hours reading and learning my craft and I try to emulate as much of the old masters work as possible but also the new modern understanding of steels and materials to , the marriage of an Individual style of the smith , understanding materials and there combinations mixed with modern steels leads to knives that do hit higher standards than at any time in history !

That's knife makers in general not me , and it's well documented in science and literature .

I'm incredibly hard on tools because that's what they are to me , to be used to the point of no return and replaced if your impressed with how they performed .

I'm critical as hell of things in general to , if something's shit I'm going to say so or just avoid it !!

And I can honestly say with out it being a sales pitch the fieldcrafter has impressed me way beyond what I expected !!

You get alot if negative feedback in life and the fieldcrafter has had it's knockers too .

But it constantly proves its credentials and ability over and over !

As a business man of course I want the world to buy my products , but in reality and as iv always said there not for everyone .

My son will take the business from me when it's time so they will be made for along time to come yet !!

But in A sharpening and use front it's like anything else go with what works for you , what's safe and in your budget !!

It's like women some guys love ladies you would run through fire nakid to avoid :)

I'm no different I love high end firearms but can't afford them so make do with budget guns .

But I know if I could afford the higher end I would be better with them and soundly looked after interns if quality .

But I carry on with the rusty shit I have , and it does the job .

I don't think I will ever stop wanting quality tho ???

There's no doubt in my mind they will last longer than me !!!

I think infact I know I come from a totally different background to most other makers .

Years as a proper butchers and slaughter man , time served before that as kennel staff and skinner with the hounds . 30 years of Firldsports to . Nothing unusual in that statement but In The knife making world that's rare !!

I make all kinds of knives from the Damascus where I make my own steel through to the production knives under fieldcrafter name .

The one thing I feel I understand is what a knife should be and do , even the big Bowie knives are built so that they could be used for the original purpose !

If a knife looks pretty when it's finished then there's no harm done as long as its not a compromise of ability .

Iv spent hundreds of hours reading and learning my craft and I try to emulate as much of the old masters work as possible but also the new modern understanding of steels and materials to , the marriage of an Individual style of the smith , understanding materials and there combinations mixed with modern steels leads to knives that do hit higher standards than at any time in history !

That's knife makers in general not me , and it's well documented in science and literature .

I'm incredibly hard on tools because that's what they are to me , to be used to the point of no return and replaced if your impressed with how they performed .

I'm critical as hell of things in general to , if something's shit I'm going to say so or just avoid it !!

And I can honestly say with out it being a sales pitch the fieldcrafter has impressed me way beyond what I expected !!

You get alot if negative feedback in life and the fieldcrafter has had it's knockers too .

But it constantly proves its credentials and ability over and over !

As a business man of course I want the world to buy my products , but in reality and as iv always said there not for everyone .

My son will take the business from me when it's time so they will be made for along time to come yet !!

But in A sharpening and use front it's like anything else go with what works for you , what's safe and in your budget !!

It's like women some guys love ladies you would run through fire nakid to avoid :)

I'm no different I love high end firearms but can't afford them so make do with budget guns .

But I know if I could afford the higher end I would be better with them and soundly looked after interns if quality .

But I carry on with the rusty shit I have , and it does the job .

I don't think I will ever stop wanting quality tho ???

I wish you good luck , ;)