Knowing The Breeding

Does anyone think that knowing the exact breeding of their dogs gives them a bias or certain expectation as to how their dogs should perform, and the type of quarry they should be capable of taking due to the breeding, eg bull x- fox, sal x-hare etc, and are then disappointed when the dog doesn't perform as expected because of the breeding?

I've been wondering this for a while, as it seems to me that most people are just as happy with a lurcher x lurcher of 'pedigree unknown' and don't really care about exact percentages of breeding.

It's never bothered me - I know one of mine, and the others are guess work as to exact breed/percentage. They are lurchers at the end of the day - if they have decent feet, a good attitude and the will to hunt, they will be ok at what they do. I don't think knowing that there is collie in them makes me think they ought to be clever, but it does make me adjust the methods of training/handling them I think. A friend of mine has a saluki x grey, who has poor ( and I mean really poor ) recall - but apparently that is " the saluki in him" and is somehow acceptable, where as I think it wouldn't be - whatever the breed.

• Like 1

Some people are happy with a lurcher that can do the job they want it to . Others go for a specific line or breed out of experience or the improved possibilityof getting a dog to do the job you want. As with pedigrees papers dont make a dog run faster or work harder but line breeding endeavours to attain a purpose bred animal and the chances are improved. Dogs of unknown parentage have come along and been exceptional just as top line bred dogs expected to be worl beaters have turned out piss poor you find a pup you like the look of that may or may not be from lines you know you put your time energy and money into the rearing and training you get a few barrow loads of luck and then see how they turn out.No one can guarantee a pup will be a world beater all you can do is beguided by experience whether your own or some one elses and hope you end up with what you want.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

I decided that getting a pup from known parentage was important this time around, i wanted a dog that will put food on the table and earn its keep and that both its parents have proven themselves in the field... theres no guarantee with any pup regardless if its breeding is recorded or not but i believe that the odds are greater in your favour if they are.

• Like 2

I know the breeds in mine but don't know the exact percentages, it dont matter a f**k once theyre doing what you want. The parents to mine were doing they're jobs well, thats why they were bred from and it should be the same for the breeding of any animal. thats my uncles philosphy for his dogs and other livestock and im copying it, selective breeding has been carried out for hundreds of years and no point in stopping now

• Like 1

I know the breeds in mine but don't know the exact percentages, it dont matter a f**k once theyre doing what you want. The parents to mine were doing they're jobs well, thats why they were bred from and it should be the same for the breeding of any animal. thats my uncles philosphy for his dogs and other livestock and im copying it, selective breeding has been carried out for hundreds of years and no point in stopping now

thats all fine untill 5 of the litter make 27tts and 3 make 21tts due to there genetic make up and not knowing 100% whats in the mix

Think I know what you're saying, if you had summat that you knew had bull in it you'd expect it to have a pathological hatred of gingers, and be dissapointed if it did'nt, if you did'nt know the breeding an the bull blood wasnt obvious you probly be suited if it was a decent pot filler and not worry too much about it.

• Like 1

take lucus, he seems to suit a heavy saluki saturated bitch rather than say a collie cross bitch, so even if the collie cross bitch was the best bitch in the country, chances are a pup from a suluki saturated bitch of average ability would do better than a pup from the collie cross bitch, if that makes sense :blink:

thats all fine untill 5 of the litter make 27tts and 3 make 21tts due to there genetic make up and not knowing 100% whats in the mix

True enough, litter bred up our way a few years back, out of an unknown breed dam to a beddy/whippet x grey dog both around 25`tts. dam had four pups, out of the three I saw grow not one made 22inch. The lad happened to meet the owner of the dams dam who told him she was put to a racing whippet, the lad said he would'nt of lined em if he'd known there was whippet both sides....good to know sometimes.

• Like 1

he kept the breeding close in his line so they all threw much the same he says, iv never seen any if his dogs the line died when i was young.

he also culled hard

take lucus, he seems to suit a heavy saluki saturated bitch rather than say a collie cross bitch, so even if the collie cross bitch was the best bitch in the country, chances are a pup from a suluki saturated bitch of average ability would do better than a pup from the collie cross bitch, if that makes sense :blink:

i dont follow lad

he kept the breeding close in his line so they all threw much the same he says, iv never seen any if his dogs the line died when i was young.

he also culled hard

>take lucus, he seems to suit a heavy saluki saturated bitch rather than say a collie cross bitch, so even if the collie cross bitch was the best bitch in the country, chances are a pup from a suluki saturated bitch of average ability would do better than a pup from the collie cross bitch, if that makes sense :blink:

i dont follow lad

The best to the best does not always produce the best , genetics play as much a part :thumbs:

he also culled hard

>

>take lucus, he seems to suit a heavy saluki saturated bitch rather than say a collie cross bitch, so even if the collie cross bitch was the best bitch in the country, chances are a pup from a suluki saturated bitch of average ability would do better than a pup from the collie cross bitch, if that makes sense :blink:

>

i dont follow lad

The best to the best does not always produce the best , genetics play as much a part :thumbs:
Even when mating dogs from the same breed some pairings just dont gel, ive had litters full of duds out of 2 excellent parents yet ive also used a son of an exceptional dog and produced an exceptional litter... Outcrossing to a different type is even more unpredictable