97 Kt Best Springer Of Them All ?

having limited experience of spring rifles i would say the HW97 for me. i had wanted to try a tx200 and Davy kindly leant me one and although it shot fine i just wasnt taken by it.

dont get me wrong stunning to look at and shoulder, But after using a couple of 97kt at the thl meet all be it briefly i just new i wanted one. having only got mine last tuesday i am glad of the decision its cracking in both fit and performance, i prefer the thumbhole stocks seem to suit me more. ATB Aaron

same mate.. didnt like davys tx that much :tongue2: lol prefer my 97 :):yes:

and same with thumbholes i seem to get on better with them :)

its each to their own isnt it

Cheers SKoT

If you want a flash bit of kit, try a bsa or hw to your budget. If you are on a budget try a out of the box Hatsan striker ,for £120 ish in 22 they are a real bargain with plenty of ooooooooph ! same as a rifle twice if not more the cost. A bud recently bought one for back yard rubbish removal, magpies etc, as they were killing his song birds & causing havock. With a little tweek it pushes bisley mags well :icon_eek:

http://www.theguncabinet.co.uk/breakbarrel-airrifles/hatsan-striker-1000/a2757/

Hi chaps, first post .. :)

Not fired a tuned 97 - had a shot of an untuned one - bit twangy.

Not tried the TX200 either.

Did have a HW80 177 i hunted with back in the day I loved.

I now have got a Pro Sport 177 - vmach spring and guides, Vortek O ring seal (quantum greas on it) Shoots real nice and use this for HFT. Only thing i dont like, the trigger just aint as good as the Rekord unit.

The best gun on my experience for looks and performance would be, a tuned pro Sport with a rekord trigger unit in it - a nice little impossible hybrid, that i think would be hard to beat ;) - sweet to shoot and looks loverlly :D

The Weihrauch HW97KT is undoubtedly a brilliant springer. Sadly, here in Missouri nobody has seen one, including myself. Underlever, mid-powered spring guns are not at all common here. Yanks prefer the break-barrel FAC/Export type springers. I would nominate the Beeman R-1 for the slot of all around best.(HW 80)

HFT as an organised sport is vitally unknown here. HFT does not influence airgunner's choices. Was told by a Rapid tuner in Iowa who does compete in HFT that the Beeman R-1 is loose, but has a good trigger. At FAC power levels the R-1 comes into its own for plinking, target practice, and hunting. The State of Florida game commission even uses the R-1 in .22" as its No. 1 gun for the extermination of vermin iguanas in the Everglades.

Quick, accurate, robust, decent resale among those who know, the Beeman R-1 has a lot going for it in a Midwestern context.

Between the Hw97 and the Tx200MKII prefer the Air Arms. The HW97 has that grip, and is more suited to benchrest than for walk around carry. The TX200 has the right LOP(length of pull) and balances well in my hands.

Don't rule out the Diana 54 "Air King". Some aigunners prefer them exclusively.

Will ask my question now. Is the Whiscombe the best? Have no opinion on this. They sure cost a lot.

Just like barbecuing a steak, everyone has a different take.

Peace, hope this helps,

RiverRomper

The Weihrauch HW97KT is undoubtedly a brilliant springer. Sadly, here in Missouri nobody has seen one, including myself. Underlever, mid-powered spring guns are not at all common here. Yanks prefer the break-barrel FAC/Export type springers. I would nominate the Beeman R-1 for the slot of all around best.(HW 80)

HFT as an organised sport is vitally unknown here. HFT does not influence airgunner's choices. Was told by a Rapid tuner in Iowa who does compete in HFT that the Beeman R-1 is loose, but has a good trigger. At FAC power levels the R-1 comes into its own for plinking, target practice, and hunting. The State of Florida game commission even uses the R-1 in .22" as its No. 1 gun for the extermination of vermin iguanas in the Everglades.

Quick, accurate, robust, decent resale among those who know, the Beeman R-1 has a lot going for it in a Midwestern context.

Between the Hw97 and the Tx200MKII prefer the Air Arms. The HW97 has that grip, and is more suited to benchrest than for walk around carry. The TX200 has the right LOP(length of pull) and balances well in my hands.

Don't rule out the Diana 54 "Air King". Some aigunners prefer them exclusively.

Will ask my question now. Is the Whiscombe the best? Have no opinion on this. They sure cost a lot.

Just like barbecuing a steak, everyone has a different take.

Peace, hope this helps,

RiverRomper

Nice post.

I find it iteresting that you mention the Diana side levers as I've always really rated them above other springers at higher power levels.

The 48 and 52 are the same apart from their stocks and the 54 uses the same basic action but on a sliding sledge semi recoilless platform.

How do you guys rate them over in the US compared to other makes?

Edited by andyfr1968

I think John Wiscombe has wound up his gunmaking business.

If I won a huge, mega-millions win on the lotto... (And I'm talking £100,000,000 plus!)

I'd set up an air rifle company. I would find great gunsmiths who learned their craft thoroughly, with the best names in the business and we will build an underlever and a break-barrel air rifle. And that's all we would build. Nothing else.

And they would be the most beautifully accurate, precision balanced and crafted spring air rifles you could buy; right up to FAC especially .25 cal. tuning. Classical walnut Bavarian and Tyrolean sporting stocks (Think Remington and Mauser hunting stocks) with proper spacers and rosewood cappings. Or there would be the most superbly figured Beech woods we could source.

Superbly raked and swept wrist grips Open sights, generous scope rails. Ocean deep blueing....

They would make a Prosport look like a plain Jane!

No plastic. No bullshit gimmicky glow-in-the-dark crap for sights, no synthetic stocks, nothing twanging or loose-fitting.

I would build an all- British classical spring rifle that will be simply the finest quality air rifle in the world. .177 .22 is what they would come in. .20 and .25 to special order.

Special editions would come in velvet lined Piano black laquered rosewood boxes complete with a proper cleaning kit; like bespoke guns used to.

And match the competition on price!

That's my daydream.....It'll never happen but, it's a nice one to have.

Pianoman.

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 2

Hi chaps, first post .. :)

Not fired a tuned 97 - had a shot of an untuned one - bit twangy.

Not tried the TX200 either.

Did have a HW80 177 i hunted with back in the day I loved.

I now have got a Pro Sport 177 - vmach spring and guides, Vortek O ring seal (quantum greas on it) Shoots real nice and use this for HFT. Only thing i dont like, the trigger just aint as good as the Rekord unit.

The best gun on my experience for looks and performance would be, a tuned pro Sport with a rekord trigger unit in it - a nice little impossible hybrid, that i think would be hard to beat ;) - sweet to shoot and looks loverlly :D

Hi,

The CD trigger unit as fitted to your Pro-sport is every bit as good as the Rekord, but it needs tuning. Easy to do yourself, and plenty of free advice on the web.

It'll take you a couple of hours tops - very easy to do, and you'll have your ultimate springer!

Edited by Taz-n-Lily

For me best springer 97KT, because I dont like the horrible ratchet noise when cocking the TX200 and also having to press the release button to close the cocking lever which incidently is not held secure enough for a sling. The prosport silver cocking lever is Just so wrong on an otherwise beautiful gun. However both AA guns do shoot with a softer recoil than a standard 97KT in .22 caliber. :angel: