Car Advise Please

The last few days my van has had a slight vibration as n it shakes abit goin into 3rd n 4thbut it only happens in 3rd n 4th gear 1st 2nd n 5th are fine,I called in at a garage yesterday n the fella took it for a spin n said its nothin to worry about its probably a wheel that's mounted a curb n is out a bit, I was happy to hear that as nothin to worry about but it seems to be gettin progresessivly worse since nI'm sure it must be summet else,just wondering if this rings any bells to anyone n what it could be as I don't want it to go into a bigger problem thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a weird diagnosis as I'd think the clutch would produce the symptoms in every gear. I reckon it could be gearbox related as 3rd and 4th are on the same shaft.

i had a similar problem a noise coming from the engine went to this hobo who checked it .dont worry about it he says just turn the radio up true.get a new mecanic mate.

could probaly pick one up from a breaker at a good price, since its a vauxhall try over at http://www.migweb.co.uk/ if theres none forsale i put money on someone having one if you ask, half a days/day

what van is it? sounds like it could be a wheel out of balance , get it to a decent mechanic to make sure whats wrong with it

what van is it? sounds like it could be a wheel out of balance , get it to a decent mechanic to make sure whats wrong with it

cheers mate it's n Astra estate van just seems strange how its only in 3rd n 4th,il hopefully find out tomorrow il let you no if your right hopefully that's what it is..

dont think it is wheel balance because it would happen in every gear.i found when i had a wheel out of balance when i got over 50mph the steering wheel would wobble.

yeh that happens as well bud but it is only in 3rd n 4th put it into 5th n goes smooth,like you I'd of thought it would be in every gear or at least also in 5th cheers

dont think it is wheel balance because it would happen in every gear.i found when i had a wheel out of balance when i got over 50mph the steering wheel would wobble.

sometimes an out of balance wheel will only cause vibrations at a certain speed , and sometimes it can go again ... had a truck that would only get the vibration at 35-40 mph then go again ,

well took the van to a different garage earlier n he seems to think it's the clutch unfortunately could well do without that, Ive gota take it back in the mornin so he can have a proper look at it to make sure that's def what it is..

Edited by dodger

That's a weird diagnosis as I'd think the clutch would produce the symptoms in every gear. I reckon it could be gearbox related as 3rd and 4th are on the same shaft.

Its a weird one mate hopefully il be a bit more wiser tomorrow cheers

Going by what you've said. If I we're you, I'd look at the tires first. Then balance the wheels. If the problem is still there. It's time for a mechanic to look at it. Depending on how old your van is. A few things could be do for replacement.

Did the guy say why he thought it was the clutch? Cause that doesn't sound right at all.

Good luck!

I was going to suggest clutch issue if it has a dule mass flywheel it will probrely be that that's causing the vibration pump the clutch pedal when stationry and see what happens. Does it vibrate then?

the mechanic said it doesn't have a duel mass flywheel mate cheers

Going by what you've said. If I we're you, I'd look at the tires first. Then balance the wheels. If the problem is still there. It's time for a mechanic to look at it. Depending on how old your van is. A few things could be do for replacement.Did the guy say why he thought it was the clutch? Cause that doesn't sound right at all.Good luck!

i took it to a tire place first mate n they didn't think it was the wheels so I went to the garage,he couldn't do alot today but took it for a spin,he agreed that the vibration is quite bad but said when you put the clutch pedal down the vibration stops so thats why he thinks it's the clutch but said I've to take it back in the mornin so he can have a proper check to make sure..it's 2007 by the way cheers Edited by dodger