Whos Had A Big Influance On Your Life

My sister in laws brother, Lee, is autistic, quite severe, he's the same age as me and similar to what you lads are saying we've got a real close bond... He'll talk to me for ages about football ( that's his love) and he has a real knowledge of the game, rembering results, players etc.. My brother and sister look after him a lot and will take on as main carers in the future.

When his brother got married a few years back we all went to Magaluf for a week end stag do, my brothers father in law and Lee came along with 15 or so lads, Lee was treated like any other of us by everyone he had a few beers messed in the pool with us all and loved his weekend, we sat and watched football in a Sunderland bar and had a great laugh with the owner, Lee knew more about the players than he did lol..

Over the years ive often tried to understand the whole downs syndrome thing.............i dont......and im not sure i want to simply because i really enjoy the relationship i have with this lad he just has an energy and honesty about him that i find infectious............every now and then he comes to the footie with us he loves it.......i try to steer clear of confrontation with folk at footie wherever possible.............but the amount of times i have to give other fans a " dont say a word " kind of look .......is something thats still a real shame in society...............you feel so protective of him yet he couldnt give a monkeys :D

i think with down syndrome folk is that they do have that extra bit of energy ,.its like stuff we take for granted they find so fascinateing ........there a bit like dogs there so happy to meet people........affectionate and content with the small things in life .....

a good friend of mine , his son has it and it was a time to go through as he was born with hole in the heart .......operation after operation ,..not knowing the outcome ,.......

and now little george is as normal as he can be........

i would stick my neck out for any human in a condition what cant be helped and through no fault of there own ............as i know how cruel society can be to such vulnerable people........

• Like 4

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Id say the biggest influence over me was probably my old boxing manager......he saw good in me where nobody else did and left a lasting impression on me in my understanding of competetive spirit and d

Well apart from obviously my Mum and Dad who i think brought me up really well then the next biggest figure in my life would be my Grandad on my Mums side. He's the one that got me interested in the

My dirty old uncle.he was a rubbish ventriloquist.he used to stickis fingers up my arse and ask me to say nothing.

Posted Images

My sister in laws brother, Lee, is autistic, quite severe, he's the same age as me and similar to what you lads are saying we've got a real close bond... He'll talk to me for ages about football ( that's his love) and he has a real knowledge of the game, rembering results, players etc.. My brother and sister look after him a lot and will take on as main carers in the future.

When his brother got married a few years back we all went to Magaluf for a week end stag do, my brothers father in law and Lee came along with 15 or so lads, Lee was treated like any other of us by everyone he had a few beers messed in the pool with us all and loved his weekend, we sat and watched football in a Sunderland bar and had a great laugh with the owner, Lee knew more about the players than he did lol..

Over the years ive often tried to understand the whole downs syndrome thing.............i dont......and im not sure i want to simply because i really enjoy the relationship i have with this lad he just has an energy and honesty about him that i find infectious............every now and then he comes to the footie with us he loves it.......i try to steer clear of confrontation with folk at footie wherever possible.............but the amount of times i have to give other fans a " dont say a word " kind of look .......is something thats still a real shame in society...............you feel so protective of him yet he couldnt give a monkeys :D

i think with down syndrome folk is that they do have that extra bit of energy ,.its like stuff we take for granted they find so fascinateing ........there a bit like dogs there so happy to meet people........affectionate and content with the small things in life .....

a good friend of mine , his son has it and it was a time to go through as he was born with hole in the heart .......operation after operation ,..not knowing the outcome ,.......

and now little george is as normal as he can be........

i would stick my neck out for any human in a condition what cant be helped and through no fault of there own ............as i know how cruel society can be to such vulnerable people........

the lad i know never forgets a word you say to him -- he bring things up that we talked about 2 year ago -- one summers night i`d cut my hedge i was just finishing up before dark and he came for a chat the bats where just starting to come out so we watched them for a while before we went in --i next saw him 3 week later and he gave me off the top of his head 25 facts about bats ...

• Like 4

the lad i know never forgets a word you say to him -- he bring things up that we talked about 2 year ago -- one summers night i`d cut my hedge i was just finishing up before dark and he came for a chat the bats where just starting to come out so we watched them for a while before we went in --i next saw him 3 week later and he gave me off the top of his head 25 facts about bats ...

Now theres the thing i dont get Stig.......maybe they are all different i dont know......but this lad,every time i see him its as though he has only just met you for the first time....hence what i said about arm wrestling.....me being a bit of a big fat b*****d within 5 minutes of seeing him he always asks me for an arm wrestle....its as if he visualises the obvious about people and acts on it...........whenever he meets my wife he says your pretty can i have a kiss :D .........and he,s an absolute nightmare around darkies :icon_eek:

• Like 1

Lee gets so protected by all of us, but is ribbed like any of the lads, his twin brothers wind him up constantly they're 31 going on 12 lol..... We always have a big family Christmas Day up my brothers, now eating is another of Lees strong points...bloody hell he will have his dinner finished when I'm on my first fork full.. He's a good lad...

Now theres the thing i dont get Stig.......maybe they are all different i dont know......but this lad,every time i see him its as though he has only just met you for the first time....hence what i said about arm wrestling.....me being a bit of a big fat b*****d within 5 minutes of seeing him he always asks me for an arm wrestle....its as if he visualises the obvious about people and acts on it...........whenever he meets my wife he says your pretty can i have a kiss :D .........and he,s an absolute nightmare around darkies :icon_eek:

i think theres differant levels and types ... i know that there iq is lower than average but some are higher than others i remember his mum telling us he knows the bus time table back to front but she`d never trust him on a bus ... his mum asked me if i minded him coming i said no he`s fine his mum tells us bits n bobs and i`m happy to leave it at that .. but maybe i`ll look it up so i understand it a bit more .. if he spends half an hour hounding me it gives his mum half hour to have a brew in peace..

Edited by the_stig

I suppose my old fella shaped me but probably not In the way I would have wanted ... He Hd served in some shit holes and then after his time in the forces spent his time working down the pit ... Me and my brothers were brought up in a miming village where you were a man or you were walked over ... I remember being very young and having such a beating with a stick for some trivial thing hat I was in bed pissing and shitting myself for days because I couldn't feel my legs and he wouldn't let me old dear call for a doctor .... He bust my nose when I was ten ... I remember losing a Fight to a lad called brian lane when I was around 12 and my old man questioning me about it when I told him the lad was a lot bigger and older than me he took me out the garden and beat f**k out of me ... When I finally dragged my arse off the floor he said to me no lad would be as big as him and I had survived that so dont lose another fukcing fight ..... He turned me into a lad that would fight any fukcer at the drop of a hat ... I ended up in DC through violence and when my eldes girl was a few months old I was up for maliciouse GBH and looking at 5 years ... By some miracle I got off with it and decided that I needed to change my way of life or not see my kids grow up so I joined the army .....

Now the strange thing is that although I fukcing hated what my old fella put me through and had turned me into that pure aggression and a desire to win live or die at any cost served me well for the 22 years that I was in the army and it kept me alive in every stinking shit hole they sent me to .....

Would I have liked to have been shaped by something or somebody else ... Fukcing right I would have .......

However the one good thing tha came from it all is that I am the complete opposite to my lad fella with my kids ... I never dictated to them certainly never beat them and I listened to them and heir dramas and done the best I could to help and guide them with love ........

These days I have gone the complete opposite and unless you fukc with my wife or my kids then I would rather buy you a beer than get into a ruck with you ... Life's to short and the bruises and pain take longer to go at my age :laugh: .......

• Like 8

I suppose my old fella shaped me but probably not In the way I would have wanted ... He Hd served in some shit holes and then after his time in the forces spent his time working down the pit ... Me and my brothers were brought up in a miming village where you were a man or you were walked over ... I remember being very young and having such a beating with a stick for some trivial thing hat I was in bed pissing and shitting myself for days because I couldn't feel my legs and he wouldn't let me old dear call for a doctor .... He bust my nose when I was ten ... I remember losing a Fight to a lad called brian lane when I was around 12 and my old man questioning me about it when I told him the lad was a lot bigger and older than me he took me out the garden and beat f**k out of me ... When I finally dragged my arse off the floor he said to me no lad would be as big as him and I had survived that so dont lose another fukcing fight ..... He turned me into a lad that would fight any fukcer at the drop of a hat ... I ended up in DC through violence and when my eldes girl was a few months old I was up for maliciouse GBH and looking at 5 years ... By some miracle I got off with it and decided that I needed to change my way of life or not see my kids grow up so I joined the army .....

Now the strange thing is that although I fukcing hated what my old fella put me through and had turned me into that pure aggression and a desire to win live or die at any cost served me well for the 22 years that I was in the army and it kept me alive in every stinking shit hole they sent me to .....

Would I have liked to have been shaped by something or somebody else ... Fukcing right I would have .......

However the one good thing tha came from it all is that I am the complete opposite to my lad fella with my kids ... I never dictated to them certainly never beat them and I listened to them and heir dramas and done the best I could to help and guide them with love ........

These days I have gone the complete opposite and unless you fukc with my wife or my kids then I would rather buy you a beer than get into a ruck with you ... Life's to short and the bruises and pain take longer to go at my age :laugh: .......

Very similar mate, I've a great relationship with my Dad now.. But there's a lot of heartache and stories to get here,

The same as you with my kids, I kill them with love and I'm not concerned if I kiss, cuddle or tell them I love them too often... They'll never see some of the things I did..

Violence is very dead end though, just takes a while and a wake up call ( or 2) to realise it...

people still vote to cut his benifits.while big ears charlie knaws away at the lobsters.is it not time people wised up .has mark thatcher been sent a letter sorry your mum ie dead but you have an extra bedroom now you have to pay for it how many idiots will line the streets waving flags when old maggie is getting planted .charlie big ears never went to to the falklands my bro went at 23 and came home in a cardboard box .10 million for a funeral ffs my mum n dad buried my bro n took f/all of any of them so in our family f/em

• Like 1

good honest post.............. :thumbs:

These days I have gone the complete opposite and unless you fukc with my wife or my kids then I would rather buy you a beer than get into a ruck with you ... Life's to short and the bruises and pain take longer to go at my age :laugh: .......Think you have been listing to jhonny cash boy named Sue. :laugh:

These days I have gone the complete opposite and unless you fukc with my wife or my kids then I would rather buy you a beer than get into a ruck with you ... Life's to short and the bruises and pain take longer to go at my age :laugh: .......Think you have been listing to jhonny cash boy named Sue. :laugh:

I wish I has been listening to country and western songs instead of the sound of the old fellas belt being unbuckled .......

In no particular order...

My grandad... RIP. He fought in WW2, was a builder by trade and a very keen gardener, grew all his own veg for many years.

Influenced me greatly as i learnt at a young age it was possible to be self sufficient or at least partly self sufficient

My mother... Never has there been a women so good at making a small bit of money go far... If i hadnt had it drilled into me never to borrow money, never to owe anyone i would most likely be morgaged up to the hilt like everyone else and be in dept up to my eyeballs, she also put the money together for holidays to africa/greece amongst other places nearly every year even tjough we lived in virtual poverty so i got to experience a great deal at a very young age... My dad is also a massive influence he is ex army, has worked with lions out in africa, he fought against the mau mau and has taught me a great deal... I can possibly blame my interest in food to him... He encouraged me to try a lot of exotic foods when i was young.

My brother in law... Cultivated my interest in hunting when all i had was a ferret and a pet russel, amused the hell out of him that a girl... And an english one at that was so keen especially since my upbringing was with show dogs, rescue dogs and amongst folk who were predominantly anti hunting.

My neighbour.. Mick higgins... RIP he helped me out with grazing for the pony i rescued in exchange for a bit of company and help around his land, he was 79 and still did everything the old way, the only technology he had was an electric kettle and he taufht me many old country ways from setting snares to breaking a donkey to cart to using a scythe to grafting apple tree branches onto other trees and he did try to teach me how to catch eels with a piece of wool and some worms

Another neighbour p.j donnelen... Last of the old dodges.. Taught me everything has a value... Had me out riding part broken horses so he could sell them as quiet riding horses at fairs, i often jumped up bareback onto an animal with only his word for it that it was broken lol... He taught me how to bullshit lmao he had me selling all kinds of livestock from chickens to goats to horses... turned me into a bit of a horse dealer

Charles hanley... Thanks to him i can handle any horse... He threw me in the deep end when i barely knew one end of a horse from the other.. Put me in with sports horse stallions and i had to learn very fast how to handle them or id have got badly hurt

Jeezo gem, that's like an Oscar speech :laugh: good post :thumbs:
Thats the short version baw :laugh: but if it wasnt for me moving to ireland when i did id probably be a homeless alcoholic by now.
You must be the only person who goes to Ireland to get away from alcohol :laugh:
Its hard to explain baw... i didnt have much of a life outside work and the pub in england, my mates were sad little lowlifes and i didnt even know it, when i moved to ireland i was stuck in the middle of nowhere and had to adapt... i have got problems with drink but ive more important things to be doing than drinking

Well done gem. Yea think we all had pals like that, you don't realize the rut your in till your out of it. I see old mates from time to time and guys I've never seen for years. You have to take a double take, hardly recognizable, old looking and drawn in with drink. Sad really.

I think us of a certain age can all relate to that mate. My old man wasn't as bad as yours but he wasn't scared to use his fists on you. The person who Definately shaped my life is my mum, she's just a f***ing gem of a woman.

i thought i use to have hidings ,......but mine seem pritty minor compared to use socks.......

if im honest me old man was either a work a holic or in the pub ,......didnt have much time for us ........mother done everything with us......

my dads effection was giving us money and still is today ........he cant show effection.......or emotion .....hes a tough man who for some reason never or couldnt show love.........

me grandparents ,aunties and uncles were what got me into working dogs and im nothing like me ma and pa they see me as the out cross...........bit rugged and shaggy not there prim and proper boy they brought up lol.........

unless im going out of a night you will always see me in rags for going to work.......i wont change for no one.......

enjoy me kids and i have a long journey now me wife gone on the other side but i owe so much to my wife .......she was so strong willed and minded and she changed me for the better ........having not met her the local police say i would of been locked up ...........but boy dont women change you ......and now i wouldnt have it any other way .....

use to be on the piss all the time when younger ,.,......but now given the choice of a pint or a walk out with the mutts .......mutts everytime......

if my mrs thought you were lying ..........bang she would be in your face and up front with you .........she took know shite and i guess when our children came along she gave up everything to be a dedicated mother and a true inspiration to our children.......trouble is i thought i could carry on drinking and living me social life but one way or another she changed me into a family man and then my passion for dogs sort of came with that and i honestly thought nothing would change me ......im stronger now ......and thanks to her im there for our kids and trying to do everything she would of done........i know years ago i wouldnt of coped on me own but she made me into man and what hurts most is that i cant thank her personally but the way i do thank her is to give our children everything she would of.........shell you changed my life xxx

• Like 4