Why Am I Such A Bad Shot With A Shotgun!!!!

Yip go to someone who can show you..... :thumbs: Quick question.......Since your used to shooting rifles are you perhaps closing one eye when using the shotgun?.....if so dont do that. Next time you try and shoot something sitting on a post make sure you have both eyes open........ :thumbs:

It's funny because i'm dominant in niether eye (think its that way round) and so i'm far more accurate with an o/u than s/s and a lot more accurate when i close one eye. . . . . . otherwise my eyes/mind trick me into firing behind where i think im firing. Odd!

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lesson would help a shooting coach would tellyou where your going wrong

It's funny because i'm dominant in niether eye (think its that way round) and so i'm far more accurate with an o/u than s/s and a lot more accurate when i close one eye. . . . . . otherwise my eyes/

Terminator?????????????...

Yip go to someone who can show you..... :thumbs: Quick question.......Since your used to shooting rifles are you perhaps closing one eye when using the shotgun?.....if so dont do that. Next time you try and shoot something sitting on a post make sure you have both eyes open........ :thumbs:

It's funny because i'm dominant in niether eye (think its that way round) and so i'm far more accurate with an o/u than s/s and a lot more accurate when i close one eye. . . . . . otherwise my eyes/mind trick me into firing behind where i think im firing. Odd!

:hmm: ....Do your guns fit you mate?

Aye, I went to see someone, who looked at how i fired etc etc, and saw that when I do it instincivly, snap shooting, I do better than when i try. Looked at the patterning etc, and found that for some reason my eyes were drawing me to think i was pointing the gun at one spot, but I was actually not, I was to one side (behind it). When i swopped to an o/u and started to shut one eye, using it like a rifle, my success rate on the clays changed over night. Wierd no?

maybe because your eyes are equally dominant when you mount the gun you obstruct some of the shooting eyes field of vision and so you subconciously use the other eye as the dominant one and so shoot as if you had the non shooting eye dominant.

Aye, I went to see someone, who looked at how i fired etc etc, and saw that when I do it instincivly, snap shooting, I do better than when i try. Looked at the patterning etc, and found that for some reason my eyes were drawing me to think i was pointing the gun at one spot, but I was actually not, I was to one side (behind it). When i swopped to an o/u and started to shut one eye, using it like a rifle, my success rate on the clays changed over night. Wierd no?

Terminator?????????????... :laugh:

• Like 1

will that work with me being as blind as a bat :laugh: safest place to be when ive got a gun is sitting still infront of me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: im ok once they move but im buggered if i can see them sitting still :laugh: :laugh:

will that work with me being as blind as a bat :laugh: safest place to be when ive got a gun is sitting still infront of me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: im ok once they move but im buggered if i can see them sitting still :laugh: :laugh:

Were you a sniper in the army....?.. :D

Were you a sniper in the army....?.. :D

when i think back, they must have raised there standards of recruitment since my days :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Abit of an update fellas.

I went to my local gun range today with a roll of lining paper in hand and a red marker pen.

Now i have to admit that i had forgot alot of tips you fellas gave me, bar the "plate" thing, or large target to judge spread. In my defence it wasn't top priority today, as i'd gone there to zero 2 scoped rifles, and it was a last minute thought to take the 12 gauge...

Anyhow, I put up x2 2'x2' squares of paper on the 25 metre range, both marked with a 1" diametre circle in the centre.

Looking directly down the "rib", (i think it's called that??) i put the bead dead centre and fired. Looking at the target, most of the shot that hit the it were at the top. More than likely more than half went over the top of it!

The second shot i fired at the bottom of the target. So in essence, 1' low. The entire target was peppered with shot! I was well pleased! :boogy:

Now i presume i'm not aiming properly in some way??? If i lowered the muzzle so the bead wasn't quite visible, would that bring me on target? I know i could just try this, but if thats the wrong thing to do then i don't want start a bad habit....

On another note i tried the same thing again on the 50 metre range and got the same result. Although evenly spread over the target when aiming low again, there weren't many shot that hit the target. I'm using a 1/4" choke, (although i'm awaiting delivery of a 1/2" choke.) I also prefer a fibre wad as i don't want to litter my permission with plastic wads. I forget who, but i was told that a plastic wad holds the shot in a kind of cup, which holds the shot together for a longer distance. So if i went for a fibre wad to go for a tighter choke to compensate for this.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice fellas. I'll have to have a shotgun only morning at the range soon, to try out all the advice i've been given.

Jamie

Most guns shoot 60% of there pattern above the bead 40% below . So sounds like its about right .

Coaches say to shoot the legs off rabbits to get head shots .

Sounds like everything is ok , it's just going to take practice . Lots of shells and start enjoying it and stop thinking to much . If it patterns like you say just stay conscious of that let everything else be natural .

It's unlikely the pattern was I the problem

With missing close stationary targets so don't worry about the choke either .

Although I'd got with a tighter choke for crows .

Start enjoying it and it will all fall in place !!

I had a berreta 302 for 20 odd years and couldnt hit anything with it either. Then i bought a shim that altered the comb height and that made it much better. Sounds to me like you have the same problem shooting over the top maybe the same thing could work for you, worth a try.

It can be a combination of items, heavy gun, cheep carts, shoulder fit , eye sight ..Use half descent quality carts , cheep stuff patterns badly (what I have tried) & will not help you confidence, A heavy older gun will make you ache & the muscles tension wrong, A non comfortable shoulder fit will alter all your shots & try one eye closed , both open on a target 30/35 yds back .

When movement is a target shoot a good yard in front the direction of travel. stand well balanced.

If you can eliminate all the niggles , relax & enjoy, don't shoot too far out ! I seen lads trying to shooting pigeons 70-90 yds :icon_eek: keep it closer, & restore the confidence, in a mild breeze not having extrocett misile speed pigeons in strong winds. :thumbs:

Comfortable ear defenders , this may help with anticipation of the shot, making it more comfortable & saving your ears too ;)

rifle & shotgun shooting is 2 completely different techniques , once the penny drops you wont put it down , when you use the rifle try remember where you left off with the shotgun , practise & it will soon come. Try not to adjust things too often , once comfortable with the gun let it teach you where it wants to be .

been nice to see all the great replies to this thread as im also in exactly the same boat, with a beretta 391 ...... since i got the gun i havnt used it the past of couple of weeks untill i get round to patterning.... also have the shims etc so will get a nice day pattern etc and hopefully will get me in the right direction.

1 thing i will say is moving from rifle to shotty isnt as easy as i thought it would be ....... a complete different ball game and my problem has been stopping and not following through, too much time looking through a scope and not enough looking down a bead and following through... good luck mate