Does A Coursing Dog Need Intelligence?

I think we can all agree that a lurcher needs a balance of brain and physical attributes? Does the same apply to an out and out coursing dog? Does the coursing dog just need physical attributes, pace, stamina etc:

A lot was said many years ago about coursing greys "running cunning" where one dog would let the other make a turn then sweep in to make the kill. A dog that would do that would lose the course.

Opinions please.

TC

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends on what your definition of intelligence is ? Collies poodles ect excel at obedience type stuff and are deemed to be intelligent cos they pic it up quik...   Saluki types seem to have an in

Just because a dog won't jump through hoops, do down stays etc, doesn't mean it hasn't got a brain. Some of the cleverest dogs I've seen in the field were Saluki based, and I don't just mean clever on

Why is there a time limit on it? Many saluki blooded dogs will not attempt a strike until they have got a hare under control, , and they have "lined it up". How many times did you see Lucky strike, an

Depends on what your definition of intelligence is ? Collies poodles ect excel at obedience type stuff and are deemed to be intelligent cos they pic it up quik...

Saluki types seem to have an in built understanding of running cunning as they say,,, it's plain to see on a lot of coursing films,, watch lucky and lots of others boxing a hare from cover,,,,,,now is that intelligence or a more basic natural hunting instinct ??

• Like 6

I think we can all agree that a lurcher needs a balance of brain and physical attributes? Does the same apply to an out and out coursing dog? Does the coursing dog just need physical attributes, pace, stamina etc:

A lot was said many years ago about coursing greys "running cunning" where one dog would let the other make a turn then sweep in to make the kill. A dog that would do that would lose the course.

Opinions please.

TC

I think if a dog was running cunning, that was the end of his coursing career ...I think. Great for hunting obviously, but not for coursing. That's why salukis do so well, thick as shit in they lol .. serious though any dog that is run on quarry will soon learn that flat out ain't always good. Even greyhounds who get knocked for being too fast, and can't learn to deal with lurcher work...if you listen to 90% of people on here. Even they learn that to catch it, to hang back and know when to strike...instead of overshooting it.

It depends what you class as coursing. Coursing to me is hunting hares, on here, it seems to be only coursing if its on the fens. So for me a coursing dog needs as much brains as any other hunting dog. Now if you were to ask me does a coursing owner on the fens need brains :laugh:

• Like 2

It depends what you class as coursing. Coursing to me is hunting hares, on here, it seems to be only coursing if its on the fens. So for me a coursing dog needs as much brains as any other hunting dog. Now if you were to ask me does a coursing owner on the fens need brains :laugh:

what you do to me , is hunting not coursing. Coursing is just seeing how the dog runs. Hunting is catching it as quick as possible. Imo lol

what you do to me , is hunting not coursing. Coursing is just seeing how the dog runs. Hunting is catching it as quick as possible. Imo lol

f**k knows mate lol. So is the forley cup a hunting DVD or coursing?

Depends on what your definition of intelligence is ? Collies poodles ect excel at obedience type stuff and are deemed to be intelligent cos they pic it up quik...

Saluki types seem to have an in built understanding of running cunning as they say,,, it's plain to see on a lot of coursing films,, watch lucky and lots of others boxing a hare from cover,,,,,,now is that intelligence or a more basic natural hunting instinct ??

I suppose my interpretation of canine intelligence is what the dog does off its own bat, where the owner cannot influence what the dog does. Or the dogs ability to learn for it's self.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

Lucky the dark destroyer had brains you can tell by the way he run he was thinking ahead you can't tell me his coursing days were over in any way he's one of if not the best coursing dog to date

lie runingwit his head up collie trait . atb bunnys.

Just becuase a saluki blooded dog isnt striking all the time doesnt mean its not trying. Ive seen them catch hares in 30 seconds and ive seen the catch them after 3 mins. A goodun has the ability to read the hare and if its a strong settle in behind it instead of wasting time with hopless strikes.

Baw ive heard you say a few times a saluki cross wouldnt be no good for the land you hunt. A good few said the same about my ground but the saluki i have here has put plenty away this season. All the best.

• Like 1

Just becuase a saluki blooded dog isnt striking all the time doesnt mean its not trying. Ive seen them catch hares in 30 seconds and ive seen the catch them after 3 mins. A goodun has the ability to read the hare and if its a strong settle in behind it instead of wasting time with hopless strikes.

Baw ive heard you say a few times a saluki cross wouldnt be no good for the land you hunt. A good few said the same about my ground but the saluki i have here has put plenty away this season. All the best.

Tongue in cheek mate. When I say saluki, I mean them plodder fen dogs. I've seen plenty good salukis catch on different ground. Wasn't that long ago the only salukis talked on here were fen ones, I just haven't changed my patter :laugh:

Opinions please.

TC

I think if a dog was running cunning, that was the end of his coursing career ...I think. Great for hunting obviously, but not for coursing. That's why salukis do so well, thick as shit in they lol .. serious though any dog that is run on quarry will soon learn that flat out ain't always good. Even greyhounds who get knocked for being too fast, and can't learn to deal with lurcher work...if you listen to 90% of people on here. Even they learn that to catch it, to hang back and know when to strike...instead of overshooting it.

I disagree that all dogs that run hares will learn to run clever, many never do. I ran a 3/4 grey x 1/4 saluki with a club in Lincs, he won many doubled up meetings and usually picked up , but his style of running never changed in his second season it was still" bombs away" .Sadly during his third season he dislocated a leg at a dyke so whether he would have altered his style as he aged, I'll never know.

Some greyhounds would lay off if they saw enough hares, hanging back waiting for the other dog to turn the hare into their mouths. Obviously this was an undesirable trait in doubled up running because the said dog would not score the requisite number of points.

Some however ran their last hares just like their first.

Just after the war my uncle had a nondescript collie- cross bitch Nell, she was regularly run on the local marshes. If she put up a hare, instead of automatically following it , she would run to where the hare was heading,and "cut it off at the pass", as her speed waned she was run with her son Paddy, he would chase the hare but she would choose her own route, often making,a catch as the hare was unintentionally presented to her by the younger dog.

You can give a dog a lot of work and hope it learns to run cunning , but you cannot teach it.

I once asked M P when Lucky began to run clever, he replied almost from the beginning, it was obviously inherent in the dog. I have a son of his, old now , but he still runs rabbits ,and still runs with his head up, like his sire.

Why is there a time limit on it? Many saluki blooded dogs will not attempt a strike until they have got a hare under control, , and they have "lined it up". How many times did you see Lucky strike, and miss overshooting in the process.? Virtually never .

All right he was an extreme example , being particularly canny behind his game. but the inherent boxing ability is a saluki trait, running just fast enough to keep the hare under pressure, easing off when the hare is out in the open , stepping up a gear to get between it and cover. I find this as riveting as the" up and at em", style . Its what's in the bag at the end of the day that matters.imo. I do agree with your definition though, what Baw describes is hunting , not coursing.

Edited by inan
  • Like 3