Hardest Discipline For A Lurcher To Learn....

The beauty of lurcher work is it covers so many different hunting methods and quarries. You have guys who use dogs soley on foxes. Others into coursing hares. Some hare coursing is in open land like the fens where the dog doesn't need taught stock breaking, jumping, pretty much anything apart from chasing hares, I like to call them point and shoot dogs. Others lamp rabbits, catch deer, some use dogs to mark burries while ferreting and catch the escapes. Some use long nets, some catch hares on smaller land, Some have dogs that do all. Now I know a lot of what I've said is now illegal so for the benefit of the antis, I'm talking preban. What type of lurcher work do you think takes the most training, dedication, etc?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now the easiest form of dog work ,,, has to be catching hares in Scotland ,, I have it on good authority that there all piss easy up there running on tuffty land,, so much so that collie greyhound can

Easy question mate,,,, net work,,, both long netting and gate netting

well right enough, net work ain't easy........   But the biggest challenge mine face at the moment, is trying the get the remains of the wife;s burnt offerings of the cooking pots....... takes a lot

My thoughts too mate, especially the long net. My dogs don't touch rabbits in purse nets but trying to get them to stop before a long net I just can't master. Lots of bits of broken burned heather about, once the nets been hit by a dog, its a b*****d to unfankle lol to the point I find it pointless carrying the f***ing thing and taking the time to set it up. It would be good to master though on those 80+ holers lol. Do you use one mate and how do you do with it?

I suppose I better elaborate ,,, both of these disaplins require the dog not to chase in the same way ,,

In fact my own point of view is I dowt a long net dog would be better than the human doing the bant,, it might be ok if all you have dropped is 50 yards of web,,, however if you have 2 or possibly 3 hundred yard of nets down,,, then I don't see a dog quartering the hole length of the webs properly.

But back to the question,, you have to have a very special dog and relationship with it ,, to get the dog to herd a hare in to the net,, especially the one your sat by,, ok the hare is a creature of habit,,, and provided you know his runs ,,half the battle is done ,, but it still requires something special from the dog.

After a net dog I would say a top ferreting dog,,, not just a lurcher that goes ferreting,, but something a bit more than that.

And as much as I love both lamping and hare coursing ,, neither realy tax a dog ,, it's child's play to be honest,, and just requires common science from the owner,,,, mind,, that's a commodity that can be sadly lacking with today's owners,,lol

• Like 2

well right enough, net work ain't easy........

But the biggest challenge mine face at the moment, is trying the get the remains of the wife;s burnt offerings of the cooking pots....... takes a lot of time, and a lot of patience .. I tell you!!

• Like 4

I suppose I better elaborate ,,, both of these disaplins require the dog not to chase in the same way ,,

In fact my own point of view is I dowt a long net dog would be better than the human doing the bant,, it might be ok if all you have dropped is 50 yards of web,,, however if you have 2 or possibly 3 hundred yard of nets down,,, then I don't see a dog quartering the hole length of the webs properly.

But back to the question,, you have to have a very special dog and relationship with it ,, to get the dog to herd a hare in to the net,, especially the one your sat by,, ok the hare is a creature of habit,,, and provided you know his runs ,,half the battle is done ,, but it still requires something special from the dog.

After a net dog I would say a top ferreting dog,,, not just a lurcher that goes ferreting,, but something a bit more than that.

And as much as I love both lamping and hare coursing ,, neither realy tax a dog ,, it's child's play to be honest,, and just requires common science from the owner,,,, mind,, that's a commodity that can be sadly lacking with today's owners,,lol

Wash your mouth out with soap..... I thought you were talking long netting rabbits not hares, tut tut tomo lol. Hope your just wanting them live to relocate lol

MAKING SURE YOUR DOG IS STOCK BROKE CAUSE WHEN HE RUNS ACROSS A FIELD OF SHEEP AND DIDNT CATCH HIS FOX IV SEEN THEM ON THE WAY BACK LOOKING A KILL

Stock breaking Definately a big must. Only had one dog that liked the wool, was recent too. My fault though.

My thoughts too mate, especially the long net. My dogs don't touch rabbits in purse nets but trying to get them to stop before a long net I just can't master. Lots of bits of broken burned heather about, once the nets been hit by a dog, its a b*****d to unfankle lol to the point I find it pointless carrying the f*****g thing and taking the time to set it up. It would be good to master though on those 80+ holers lol. Do you use one mate and how do you do with it?

I do mate,,, I was tought the old way with trad nets ,, at night,, and never used a dog,,

Ferreting in the day ,,, yes I use long nets from time to time,, hardly at all this last year or so ,,, but it's just down to perseverance ,, ,, also when there pups getting them jumping the net,,, mind Tara was a c**t for pulling them out the long net,,, although Venus is perfect when using nets, never touches them

Now the easiest form of dog work ,,, has to be catching hares in Scotland ,, I have it on good authority that there all piss easy up there running on tuffty land,, so much so that collie greyhound can catch them....

• Like 8