Building Muscle In A Lurcher

Check out the barf diet for adults.

For pups good quality puppy food and a little extra meat.

Roadwork is useful, as is normal play with other dogs.

Your dog won't muscle up if it's not in his genes.

He will muscle up, in spite of what you feed him unless you starve him, if it is in his genes :thumbs: .

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good grub - exercise - and rest...simple

Why? Thought i heard it all. All you really do with a running dog is run it. And it will slowly grow into its natural build. Any bigger is excess weight imo.

Funny time in the year to be asking a question like this. Dogs should be winding down now not getting running fit. Anyhow..... As said road work is one of the best ways of getting a dog on its toes et

feed the dog half an hour after decent exercise this helps with building muscle but like has been said the dog doesnt have to be muscle bound to be fit

is there a reason for wanting your dog muscled up ;)

love it ,,,( how to build muscle on my dog,,way a screen name MR T ,,lol )

and if he's asking because he just took in a neglected/rescue thats been left in a kennel all it's life? :no:

pleanty protien,,,if he gettin excirced well,,,,ull find greyhound food roughly 28% protien will help keep his weight on while he,s gettin him fitt

I find my dogs LOSE condition if fed complete food that too high in protien. I feed mine a mix of minced rabbit chicken and beef pasta brown bread ect.

There are getting dogs muscled up and there is getting them fit. Start of the season mine are jogged beside the bike starting of with a couple of miles then working my way upto 7 or 8. But if i want to use wieght collors and i have the dogs swimming every day they can look "over muscled" and ive found when your dog has alot of muscle it can overheat quicker. Ive had to dunk my bull/greyhound in cattle troughs before.

Funny time in the year to be asking a question like this. Dogs should be winding down now not getting running fit. Anyhow..... As said road work is one of the best ways of getting a dog on its toes etc. I find a good long walk on the roads then allowed to run about with another dog helps enormously. You can't walk a dog running fit though, nothing will except running. Just build it up gradually but its the end of the season, dogs deserve time off soon not getting prepared for a seasons work.

• Like 5

love it ,,,( how to build muscle on my dog,,way a screen name MR T ,,lol )

and if he's asking because he just took in a neglected/rescue thats been left in a kennel all it's life? :no:

pleanty protien,,,if he gettin excirced well,,,,ull find greyhound food roughly 28% protien will help keep his weight on while he,s gettin him fitt

I find my dogs LOSE condition if fed complete food that too high in protien. I feed mine a mix of minced rabbit chicken and beef pasta brown bread ect.

There are getting dogs muscled up and there is getting them fit. Start of the season mine are jogged beside the bike starting of with a couple of miles then working my way upto 7 or 8. But if i want to use wieght collors and i have the dogs swimming every day they can look "over muscled" and ive found when your dog has alot of muscle it can overheat quicker. Ive had to dunk my bull/greyhound in cattle troughs before.

every dogs diffrent , what ever works ,we all do stuff diffrent,,,cos i have whip/grey,s ,,,if i put them on a crap complete dog food cos there skinny anyhow ,,i do notice fairly quick there losing condition,if have to use dry food ,,as long as it decent stuff they will do well,,,i always give the scraps left over from tea time ,,which is nearly everyday ,,wifes a terrible cook,,,,and sardines and tomato

also more work and excisie they get ,the more food ill throw down them

The only reason i can think for wanting to build extra muscle especially in th off season is for shows maybe.

Hmmm me thinks a dog would have enough muscle for a show. Don't do them so you maybe right

After the obvious, good food etc, i,v always found that working the dog on what you bred/bought it for to be best, they will naturaly build muscle were they need it, not were they dont, a bit like a man doing heavy manual work will build up muscle were he needs it, swimming in the summer is a good all round exercise too, atb, buster. ps, my dogs laid asleep on the settee while iam typeing this, note to self, practice what you preach :laugh:

Edited by buster gonads
  • Like 1

The only reason i can think for wanting to build extra muscle especially in th off season is for shows maybe.

Hmmm me thinks a dog would have enough muscle for a show. Don't do them so you maybe right
not sure never done one either cant think of any other reason than looks tho.

not sure never done one either cant think of any other reason than looks tho.

Maybe he was just bored :laugh:

Maybe lad means ripped instead of muscled and it's a bad choice of words!

Maybe he hasn't had the best of seasons and thinks he could improve his dogs fitness for next season and what's to plan in advance to get things right so next season he has some better sport!

Everyone is so quick to slate! And not look at reasoning behind why he might be asking the questions!

Maybe lad means ripped instead of muscled and it's a bad choice of words!

Maybe he hasn't had the best of seasons and thinks he could improve his dogs fitness for next season and what's to plan in advance to get things right so next season he has some better sport!

Everyone is so quick to slate! And not look at reasoning behind why he might be asking the questions!

Maybe ayes maybe naws...... Your the only guy who didn't give him advice or maybe you did and I owe you an appolagy or maybe I'm right and you didn't...... Lots of maybes:D