Fitness Training

Early season i start mine off jogging beside the bike for a couple of miles aswell as steady walking. Then regurly out lamping a few bunnies and just carry on from there. A mate of mine uses treadmills and wieght collars and his dogs look absolutly mint but aslong as mine can handle a good amount of graft through the week and still be ready for the weekend im happy. Atb

walking, cycling, free running, whatever way you excercise your dog, regular excercise is the key, im out with mine daily mile or so road walking then free running, retrieving on the fields then back on the road home i must cover 3-4 mile daily bit more sometimes depending on my mood :thumbs:

I BELIEVE ALL types of exercise is the key to performance animals , different breed types require different tequniques of exercise . 3 4 miles for a grown lurcher is really just exercise for emptying off . the mileage needs to be put in covering all ground types swimming etc building from walking to general joggin and a higher pace . feeding and good rest is also very necesary . , building the body to become accustomed to long stints in the field need to be started i believe as soon as they can be out and about . surprising how many animals neva find there true fitness for work . it must be said that the very best need 24 10 to achieve there peak fitness . atb bunnys.

Wouldnt mind finding more out about weighted collars. And how they help. Do sny lads use such a thing ?

The saluki boys use them, usually when they are getting the dog to swim....... Off a long pier :laugh:

• Like 4

Wouldnt mind finding more out about weighted collars. And how they help. Do sny lads use such a thing ?

The saluki boys use them, usually when they are getting the dog to swim....... Off a long pier :laugh:

Lol

We hunt ours alot and we road them almost every day they aint out hunting. We take them for walks where they run in the fields, timbers, creeks, anywhere you can imagine we cover it. Our dogs are in pretty good shape and they are fairly tough I'd say.