Pup Abandoned

Was out with my bitch earlier and met a lurcher pup straying on the road poor thing is destroyed in mange and nearly starved to death.iv now taking her on and she is staying in a pin beside my bitch ,iv named her lucky.i called into the vet and got a pour on for the mange and worms.my bitch jess had all her injections for parvo etc but im worried about her catching mange from the pup.how will avoid this?any good advise greatly appreciated

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

picture i took today

Mange is caused by a mite (tiny insect) that burrows in the skin. Inject the pup with ivermec. That will kill all skin based parasites. DONT USE IVERMEC ON COLLIES OR COLLIE CROSSES THOUGH! Another go

I wont hurt to treat both dogs. Its only mange, if yours does pick it up, just treat it.   Good on you for taking the dog on.

Posted Images

I haven't had any experience of mange in dogs, but I've read up a bit on it - hope this is useful.

First off, well done for taking the pup in - could prove to be a useful addition.

The mange is in two parts - the irritation caused by the mite, and a secondary fungal infection. It should be diagnosed by a vet (which yours has been) because there are some other conditions which can mimic mange, but mange shampoos won't work with them.

The pup should be isolated (as others said), but if your dog does start to show signs you can use the same shampoo and it will clear. Dpn't use strong disinfectant around the pup - the skin is already very irritable.

Let us know how you get on.

Mange is caused by a mite (tiny insect) that burrows in the skin. Inject the pup with ivermec. That will kill all skin based parasites. DONT USE IVERMEC ON COLLIES OR COLLIE CROSSES THOUGH! Another good treatment for it is Benzol benzoate (see link). I would give it a good worming. And 2 weeks later give it another good worming. ATB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220841321170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

• Like 3

Mange is caused by a mite (tiny insect) that burrows in the skin. Inject the pup with ivermec. That will kill all skin based parasites. DONT USE IVERMEC ON COLLIES OR COLLIE CROSSES THOUGH! Another good treatment for it is Benzol benzoate (see link). I would give it a good worming. And 2 weeks later give it another good worming. ATB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220841321170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The OP has already been to the vet and got treatment for the skin condition and worms.

do you spray the benzol bezooate on ?

do you spray the benzol bezooate on ?

Yes. Just use a sprayer from the garden centre. And you dilute it first with mineral oil. Depends on what % you get tho so read instruction on the tin

Always good for a laugh on here,I wouldn't like mange on my bollocks either ;).the pup is in a separate pen beside my bitch.im feeding her small and often .might try her with some dog mince later,what ye think?in fairness she is no bother in the pen didn't whin at all lastnight only when I leave her after feeding.i don't think she was beating just very neglected .she is a little nervous but that to be expected. I wont chance the iovomac dog magic seen as I don't know her breeding.her face is very narrow like a beddy whippet but she is very leggy going to be a tall bitch.from the hair she does have it seems to be wirey but hard to say for sure yet.thanks for help ill keep ye updated

• 1 month later...