Lack Of Game!!

great reply troter..............,as for siting here moaning,i bet im out as often as you if not more,i do lots of different types of fieldsports,and at this present time RABBITING IS NOT WORTH THE COST AND THE EFFORT FOR THE RESULTS, and if you read above I got out of the game........for the time being.if you need to do 200 miles to get a few rabbits then your puting roughly £30 into the tank every time you take a run out,great to be wealthy :D

There has been a huge decline in the rabbit population. I was only talking with a farmer last week on this and they just seemed to have disappeared, one session we were taking 20-25 rabbits per outing on his lands of over 3000 acres but now you would not see 10 Rabbits on this land. And there is plenty of cover and Heavy ditches to hold them without being disturbed. In my 30yrs of hunting I have never seen it this bad, out of 15 spots that I used to ferret none are holding good numbers

of rabbits.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I rarely come home with more than a couple of rabbits on my permission, be it ferreting or lamping what ever! My best nights lamping is still only 6 rabbits with my last dog Tilly, with Rue it's 4 rab

Dole money kept me in lurcher work for 7 years when that was my only purpose,i woke up one morning,the wife had left me and beggared off back to Belfast,the fridge was empty,the rent was overdue and i

i like to watch the dog working things out not arsed about the numbers game as long as the dogs run its best at whats there happy days.atb

so now were debating how well we can survive on the wellfare,how come the people of ireland are crippled with debt then................or are they all bullshiting the government and stashing their dole away and chuckling secretly.get back to the topic above or just scrap it cause its geting plain stupid now.

the bottom line mate, is rabbit numbers are down like i said, it ok saying jump in your motor etc to put game infront of you dog, but there are only few places really that hold good numbers of game worth putting£ 50 quid in the car to get'em. Many a night ive try differnt places over the years getting6-9 rabbits from 4 hours of walking, and sooner or latter you do think is it worth it , you do keep trying well i have + still do, but i can understand lads getting pissed off with( lot of it) with (not) enough game for there dogs :yes:

numbers are down mate me and me mate gazmandoo been out all over the place!!!! and his bull lurchers have only add about 8/10 runs since oct/nov but captain spannerville is right there,s not much knocking about... ?????

Thing I dont get with some lads..

Nobody in particular either..

When rabbit numbers are low, why keep plugging away at dwindling stock??

Why not wrap the season up early ?? Make less trips through out a session ??

Some bits now, I only go once a year. I get one good hit and leave it till next year..

I know people want to be out doing what they enjoy, however you need to consider the long game.. JMO

• Like 3

great reply troter..............,as for siting here moaning,i bet im out as often as you if not more,i do lots of different types of fieldsports,and at this present time RABBITING IS NOT WORTH THE COST AND THE EFFORT FOR THE RESULTS, and if you read above I got out of the game........for the time being.if you need to do 200 miles to get a few rabbits then your puting roughly £30 into the tank every time you take a run out,great to be wealthy :D

no not wealthy far from it mate i work 5 days a week i run the dog twice a day every day morning and night local and travel weekends and i do one field sport rabbits no time for any thing else :yes: mate not getting in to a row just think why moan on here about lack of game just get out and find some :thumbs: atb

Edited by troter58
  • Like 2

Thing I dont get with some lads..

Nobody in particular either..

When rabbit numbers are low, why keep plugging away at dwindling stock??

Why not wrap the season up early ?? Make less trips through out a session ??

Some bits now, I only go once a year. I get one good hit and leave it till next year..

I know people want to be out doing what they enjoy, however you need to consider the long game.. JMO

I agree with your thinking but to be honest!! It's not the dogs it's the mixi. my view on it is if we don't get them it will. I know what I would prefer if I was a rabbit. Also low numbers = less mixi as it don't spread as easy. There is also this new bacteria that was realised a few year back that makes there liver or kidney hemerage and die a lot fast. So I wonder if this new thing is having a big knock on effect!!

I've got a young dog here I'm bringing on this season but as others have said no bunny numbers at all here even with travel so he's had to cut his teeth on other quarry we bump into but I always like to start them on rabbits,fingers crossed the numbers recover for the next season.

no not wealthy far from it mate i work 5 days a week i run the dog twice a day every day morning and night local and travel weekends and i do one field sport rabbits no time for any thing else :yes: mate not getting in to a row just think why moan on here about lack of game just get out and find some :thumbs: atb

well if its seen as moaning I never meant it to be,the topic was put up,i added to it sharing my experiences here.I keep a few different dogs for different things,terriers/lurchers and I enjoy as I said different stuff.For the last 3 years I have looked for new spots and I drew a fair blank most of the time,so until the situation changes Im postponing the ferreting .

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 1

Still got quite decent numbers down in dorset, not as good as it should be but thers still a good number. usually bag a good 10 a night. Im out 3 nights a week drive about 60-70 miles each night going up and down the areas i go to with my brother and best mate. I love it finding new places. I do like the bigger game aswell though ;) Plenty of them round my way pretty much in every field in dorset :) Keep the Freezer full Gents. ATB

I think Iam the only one that has not noitced a big decline in rabbit numbers this year but then again there is a lot of foxing control in this area but the things I've noitced it comes and goes some years there's lots of rabbits and not so many foxes and when there is not many rabbits there is a lot of foxes so there is a lot more too consider

I no of a few real good spots nt sayin where but went out on friday past and had 15+ runs between 2 dogs and walkin away with 11 rabbits and a fox was a good nigh

Never tell anyone a good spot your right there, people take the piss and ruin it in a matter of days if places get found down here. Thats a decent bag mate. Had 3 bigguns and 5 rabbits monday night back on the lamp tonight.