So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

You are right terry but what i mean is the onions are in raised beds and the soil was too loose quite a few toppled over and did not set/grow right a bit of firming in before planting would have been better in this case. i have made mistakes for the last 25 years but its the only way you learn.Next year will see a better crop. The best onions i have seen have been grown fron seed but i have never bothered next season i will give them a go. :thumbs:Black currants are the easiest things to grow had them years ben connan the variety and are simple to propagate for new bushes. :thumbs:What i mean by firming in i walk and tread in the top layer of the soil then lightly rake over this year i think i just raked over and planted it was too soft if this makes sense.i have had far better results in previous years firming the top layer over.

Makes perfect sense I will keep that in mind for next year :thumbs:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Darbo, I could not miss the Cwrt y Cadno as we call it, you have there, (mares tail.) One of the guys on the allotment eventually got rid of his using round up and fairy liquid. Apparently because it is a waxy plant it does not absorb the weed killer. He used to mix the round-up as normal then add a big squirt of fairy to the mixture, then using cotton gloves over a pair of marigolds would dip his hands into the mixture and rub it into the plant.

The idea was that the fairy broke down the wax in the plant and allowed the weed-killer into the plant. It did take a long time but it did work, well till the plants from the next allotment came along the next year.

TC

• Like 1

Darbo, I could not miss the Cwrt y Cadno as we call it, you have there, (mares tail.) One of the guys on the allotment eventually got rid of his using round up and fairy liquid. Apparently because it is a waxy plant it does not absorb the weed killer. He used to mix the round-up as normal then add a big squirt of fairy to the mixture, then using cotton gloves over a pair of marigolds would dip his hands into the mixture and rub it into the plant.

The idea was that the fairy broke down the wax in the plant and allowed the weed-killer into the plant. It did take a long time but it did work, well till the plants from the next allotment came along the next year.

TC

another way is to mix it with wallpaper paste and do the same procedure, but the best an easyest was to get rid off mares tail is to put neat cheap bleach on it.

• Like 2

TC

Its been the bane of my life on the allotment for as long as i can remember :laugh: Never heard of the round up and fairy liquid cheers. :thumbs:

TC

another way is to mix it with wallpaper paste and do the same procedure, but the best an easyest was to get rid off mares tail is to put neat cheap bleach on it.

Never heard of that either thanks i will give the methods a go. :thumbs:

Few bags of peas tonight and I have courgettes coming out my ears. Only got two plants black beauty very impressed with them but I can only make so much chutney and carbonara :laugh:

The second early (greenshaft) peas have done really well compared to the earlies will be just doing them next year

14779945365_308a080119_b.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 5

We eat a lot of leeks in our house, we use them as a veg with dinners, in cawl obviously and as baby leeks whole with cheese bake on top. I have usually run out by Christmas so this years I grew a few more. There are 80 in the first plot at normal spacings for larger leeks and 96 in the smaller plot at 4" spacings for baby leeks.

With these I use a bulb planter to make the holes to puddle them in

blackberries001_zps922c9309.jpg

With the closer spacings I just trench them then puddle the trench.

blackberries003_zps828b259a.jpg

TC

• Like 3

Baby leeks and cheese bake never occurred to me we started having them with roast dinner just cooked in butter and as you say cawl. Also leek and potato soup.

I see you don't trim them Allan ? I planted two lots last year one trimmed top and bottom and the other untouched and the untouched ones ended double the size so that sealed that for me.

Any one id this spud ? its a second early or main crop I lost the label and they did quite well so might try again next year.

14793675371_1803679521_b.jpg

another two marrows today so I am going to try this jam recipe at weekend

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7565/marrow-and-ginger-jam

14796781405_142f127ace_b.jpg

The marrow plants are Marrow 'Tiger Cross' F1 Hybrid and apparently they store well in the winter too if kept frost free. Been a good year for finding what works and what doesn't

Out door cucumbers so far seem to have been a no no

• Like 1

Terry,

Those spuds look like Kestral to me, roundish tubers, shallow eyes and the purple around the eyes. I may be wrong as there are a lot of potatoes with a similar discription. First earlies?

Try marrow rum with one of those marrows. Cut off the top, scoop out the center with a marrow spoon, then push a knitting needle through the bottom, place the marrow in a pair of tights, bottom end down and fill the cavity with rum and let it drip till all the rum has come out of the body of the marrow.

Another way I have eaten marrow is stuffed in the oven. Stuff the marrow with a spiced minced lamb mix then bake in the oven, quite nice.

TC

Lots of variations on it John but we basically get the cheapest bit of lamb possible a small bit of neck or some thing. Add what ever veg is available leeks, spuds and bit of cabbage some herbs and stock. The liquid is meant to be quite thin rather than soup like. Taste gets better the following day plus if you used a fatty bit of lamb you can skim fat off if your inclined

Good description here better than I can explain

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/cym/fetch-recipe.php?rid=cawl

• Like 2

Lots of variations on it John but we basically get the cheapest bit of lamb possible a small bit of neck or some thing. Add what ever veg is available leeks, spuds and bit of cabbage some herbs and stock. The liquid is meant to be quite thin rather than soup like. Taste gets better the following day plus if you used a fatty bit of lamb you can skim fat off if your inclined

Good description here better than I can explain

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/cym/fetch-recipe.php?rid=cawl

Many thanks terry i will give it a try. :thumbs:

Terry,

Those spuds look like Kestral to me, roundish tubers, shallow eyes and the purple around the eyes. I may be wrong as there are a lot of potatoes with a similar discription. First earlies?

Try marrow rum with one of those marrows. Cut off the top, scoop out the center with a marrow spoon, then push a knitting needle through the bottom, place the marrow in a pair of tights, bottom end down and fill the cavity with rum and let it drip till all the rum has come out of the body of the marrow.

Another way I have eaten marrow is stuffed in the oven. Stuff the marrow with a spiced minced lamb mix then bake in the oven, quite nice.

TC

Think your right Allan looking at the pictures online and I remember buying some seed too. Been tea total few years so will skip the rum but I like the sound of the lamb mince. As a rule I cut them into rounds and stuff with beef mince and top with cheese and bread crumbs and bake. But spiced lamb sounds good

• Like 1

Darbo,

Cawl is basically a meat and veg broth. Each area of Wales has it's own way of making it. Some use brisket bones. but I mentain that cawl is made with lamb.

When I make Cawl it is with Lamb bones neck, backbone, breast or even leg bones. When I make it it is a two part job, first I boil the bones or breast to make the stock, to the bones I add1 leek, 2 onions, salt & pepper, lamb stock cubes x 2 and a small grated parsnip. Boil that on a rolling boil for about 2 hours. Once the parsnip has disintergrated in to the stock I then take all the bones out and add the veg. I use carrot, swede, parsnip and potatoe.

I like them in big chunks and the wife likes them small. So of I make it I make the small dice and if she makes it it's the large chunks.

Boil the veg in the stock for about 2 hours, you will need to have a good boiling potato, Mafona or Nadine are good, as they stay whole no matter how small they are or how long you boil them. Once you think the broth is ready I knock the gas off then add the chopped parsley and two chopped leeks and leave it for at least half an hour, that way the leeks still have a bit of bite to them.

It is nice with french bread, but even better the next day. with fresh cut spring onions sprinkled on top.

TC

• Like 2

Darbo,

Cawl is basically a meat and veg broth. Each area of Wales has it's own way of making it. Some use brisket bones. but I mentain that cawl is made with lamb.

When I make Cawl it is with Lamb bones neck, backbone, breast or even leg bones. When I make it it is a two part job, first I boil the bones or breast to make the stock, to the bones I add1 leek, 2 onions, salt & pepper, lamb stock cubes x 2 and a small grated parsnip. Boil that on a rolling boil for about 2 hours. Once the parsnip has disintergrated in to the stock I then take all the bones out and add the veg. I use carrot, swede, parsnip and potatoe.

I like them in big chunks and the wife likes them small. So of I make it I make the small dice and if she makes it it's the large chunks.

Boil the veg in the stock for about 2 hours, you will need to have a good boiling potato, Mafona or Nadine are good, as they stay whole no matter how small they are or how long you boil them. Once you think the broth is ready I knock the gas off then add the chopped parsley and two chopped leeks and leave it for at least half an hour, that way the leeks still have a bit of bite to them.

It is nice with french bread, but even better the next day. with fresh cut spring onions sprinkled on top.

TC

Sounds good tiercel thanks for taking the time to write it down its much appreciated. :thumbs: