Cheap Vs Expensive Catapults

Had an interesting conversation with a member on the phone today about this.....

The way i see it......

What can an 80quid catty do....that a 10/15quid one cant?

With the same bandsets.......lets say double theraband gold for example......they would.bith be just as accurate.....

Banded correctly with the right draw and ammo etc

By spending 80quid for a catapult it wont make you better at shooting.......you might look a bit more sophisticated with a nice frame in your hand.......

But thats all you will do.....look better.....not shoot better......

Now theres markets for all ranges of the price band.....and im not referring to anybody in particular......just targeting a wide audience......

Now if you have the money going spare.....then you would ofcourse buy the more expensive one......but not many people do...... so its cheap and cheerful.....

The best way to explain what i mean......is at the end of the day.....its a piece of wood.....and a small one at that......

if ye was spending the big bucks on something to kill game..... then you would spend it on an air rifle....

You could get a decent one for 100quid....and be a lot more accurate and consistent.....

But most just walk the dogs with a catty in their pocket.....they see game....take it out....job done.....

Thats where a nice cheap cheerful catty comes into its own......

Its not alarming like a rifle is....it wont draw attention to yourself....and its concealed easily.....

Any of my cattys can be flung in the river and ive lost a tenner.......

Id be wanting to find some bubblewrap before i gently placed my expensive catty down :laugh:

Lose it and yer 50-60-70-80pound down.....not a small amount of money when yer scraping the barrel.....

Whats your opinions of it?

A cattys is a poachers tool....i dont know many poachers who have 80quid to spare....i certainly dont.....and if i did....it would be spent on new trainers for the wee man......not a disposable hunting tool....

Banded the same, they would both shoot the same to the person shooting them.

Edited by Blue Pocket Rocket

I havbe started gettin a few and most I've paid is 30 for a gk john pr4 and I find I'm deadly with it lol mite just b because its comfy in the hand but I didn't get um for lookin gd cuz I'm bloody skint just cuz I thought it wd fit well and it does I can get on with all mine (gotta try the ones that arrived yest tho) I think what u say is right tenner u can live with but 80 quid u feel robbed lol ha and I don't even like the look of the milboro cnt get on with um as I use finger nd thumb lol:)

It's all down to personal preference, if you find something comfortable and shoot well with it then stick with it. Personally I've tried shooting with some of those metal milbro style catapults that aren't cheap and I find them cold, uncomfortable and difficult to shoot with. If a design is well thought out and has a distinct advantage over other designs then I think it's worth paying that bit more for. For me it's down to comfort, ease of use and having something I feel confident with.

With flat board cuts and naturals I don't think they are worth paying a grand sum for, unless they are very attractive and you like collecting nice things. But as for practicality there are all much of a muchness I think.

As for catapults being a poachers tool not everyone poaches with a catapult, there's a number of other quarry that can be taken with a catapult where poaching isn't required. There's also a huge market for target shooters, in the US & Spain target shooting is getting pretty big now!

So if you have a posh catty does it kill the game better ?Would you fight the ranger for your £20+ catty theres is a lot of fashion in cattys like on a catwalk?(bitching for sales££££) While I do like the look of a good made catty some just dont shoot right others are a joy to shoot ...Alot of ppl are taken in with fake vids or silly speeds on chronographs that are from 5 steps away. You cant get that close to game in the field :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

• Like 1

Its the bloke holding the catty that counts lol, not the catty, spending a fortune on a fancy frame isnt likely to make you a better shot imo?

A lot of it is personal preference anyway, if there was some design that had a big advantage we would all be shooting it by now, one bloke will like something and another wont, 2 lads are saying they dont like Milbros, or cant get on with Milbros, and its the only catty im any good with?

• Like 1

i make my own, but do fancy a certain expensive one, like anything its all personal choice based on the worth/value it has to you, i wouldnt be spending £80 on trainers for my lil one, the rate she is growing its £35 max lol

I agree with cheap and cheerful, but can understand some might want a nicer one if the cheap ones don't feel right. I got a black widow on a whim but after taking catties more seriously realised I didn't like it at all, so I made one this weekend and it's just a classic 'dennis the menace' number and so far I love it. I have kept it looking as natural as possible, which I like and if someone sees it poking out my pocket then it just looks like what it is, a stick.