Sprockers Springer X Cocker

Hi all,

read all the above comments with great interest ,bought a chocolate sprocker bitch in sept last year ,this dog was a accidental mating from a very well known

breeder in south yorks .both a her parents have masses of ftch in bloodlines.i paid £350 for her,which is nothing considering (hopefully)the years of work ill get from this dog.never seen a pure cocker or springer at this price ,but i will bet my a*se this dog will be as good as any of the above.Her prey drive already is unbeliveable,very biddable ,excellent temprament ,stunning looking bitch (will try upload photos).i totally agree with earlier posts, papers dont do the graft the dog does!!!!.after all how in bred

are many pedigree bloodlines now??maybe a bit of cross breeding is needed (maybe iam wrong just my opinion.)But i think to pay £100 for one of these MONGRELS !! is crazy considering i pay that for a days rough shooting .. :hmm: anyway rant over lol....

cross breeding has allways gone on, i don't think there is such a thing as a pure cocker

Its commom nowledge that some Cocker men outcross using a Springer every so many generations. The divide between Springers and Cockers aint as big as some would like you to believe. An old lady Judge/Trialler once said to me that a Lab is born half trained and a spaniel dies half trained..... Its what you put into them.

I personally found cockers more to my liking, after working springers before them. We have 2 sprockers in the family aswell, and they are decent enough workers. The cockers I had loved foxing and ratting as much as flushing game birds and rabbits, so I found them great all rounders, they were rarely left in kennel!!

hi i have both a springer and two cockers now they are all good working dogs doing what they were breed for.but having said that i breed a sproker two years ago and he is coming on great took more to the cocker side but a real pleasure to work and think i can say another year or so and i will put him in front of all three.

reg price if they come from working stock and work and work well i cant see the problem in price.if u buy a pure cocker to work and pay say 400 pound or a sringer for the same price and they are both rubish but joe blogs down the road paid 400 for a working sprocker and he was very pleased what is the problem,i would rather pay more for a mungrel doing the job than a pedigree doing nothing......just my opinion ...

• Like 1

Training starts the moment you get the dog, by that i mean putting basic manners into it. Get the dog to know his name, learn it to sit, prob most importantly spend time with it and get a strong bond. Ive found training comes easier if there's a bond. I would also advise banging his food dish before feeding it, this way it will associate loud noises with something nice. This will help when you introduce it to shot later in training.

Cockers and springers where the same breed not so long ago. Out of a litter of pups the small dogs would be picked for woodcock shooters, hence cocker and the bigger dogs of the litter would be used for springing game, hence springer. A sproker is prob what the traditional spaniels looked like in years gone by. As for all the mongral comments. I'm a lurcher man originally so crossing breeds for gaining different attributes in the litter of pups makes perfect sense to me.

I cant see what's wrong with this cross and if you can get a good dog with out the stupid price tags then keep at it. That said my mate recently got a springerpoo which he paid £600 for. He does live in Sussex and just like all his yuppy mates that have one he has gone for what is a trend which in its self is harmless but £600 for a bloody mongrel???? Bloody idiots along with any one else paying that sort of money. In fact I don't think any dog regardless of what the breeding is should be more than a few hundred quid unless your buying in one that has already been trained then your paying for the work put in.

So what is a reasonable price to pay if you just want a small springer or cocker for bushing and working fields along side a lurcher for rabbits, and is there much price difference between cockers and springers? Also,

Are there different strains within the breeds which excell in different areas?

Thanks

Edited by wuyang