Giving A Hare Fair Law.

There has only been snow onthe ground for a week down the fens. Why would the hare need Time

To recover even with snow on the ground theres still plenty to eat .sugar beet rape leaf.ect .answer to the above

30 yards 300 yards the dog gets slipped. Just like everybody else .dont listen to the bullshit on here.

They all slip.

Well said mate hares are scarce enough as it is , somedays barely see enough for one dog

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wonder how many day time lads are giving old sally a week or two after the snow to get her strength back let alone yards? .

I'd love to live in the ideal world some on here do. A wee sonter along big flat land, old hare gets up 20 yards away, wee duck of its ear to salute its adversary..... Dog spots it right away, all ten

There has only been snow onthe ground for a week down the fens. Why would the hare need Time To recover even with snow on the ground theres still plenty to eat .sugar beet rape leaf.ect .answer to th

There has only been snow onthe ground for a week down the fens. Why would the hare need Time

To recover even with snow on the ground theres still plenty to eat .sugar beet rape leaf.ect .answer to the above

30 yards 300 yards the dog gets slipped. Just like everybody else .dont listen to the bullshit on here.

They all slip.

Well said mate hares are scarce enough as it is , somedays barely see enough for one dog

does that no tell you something if there scarce :hmm:
  • Like 1

qoute "The English sport of coursing -- hunting by sight instead of scent -- has roots in ancient Greece, and is a sport valued for the contest more than the catching of the prey. The Greek historian Arrian wrote more than 1800 years ago: "For coursers, such at least as are true sportsmen, do not take their dogs out for the sake of catching a hare, but for the contest and sport of coursing, and are glad if the hare meets with an escape."

• Like 2
Guest Chancey

qoute "The English sport of coursing -- hunting by sight instead of scent -- has roots in ancient Greece, and is a sport valued for the contest more than the catching of the prey. The Greek historian Arrian wrote more than 1800 years ago: "For coursers, such at least as are true sportsmen, do not take their dogs out for the sake of catching a hare, but for the contest and sport of coursing, and are glad if the hare meets with an escape."

ya but he wasnt getting £500 a pup
  • Like 2

ive been out with quite a few of your well known coursing men .so to speak,there hasn;t been to many that stand there and count to ten while the hare is making its get away. yes ive seen some massive slips.but 9 times out of 10 the doesn't hare put its ears back and go until the dogs is 50 maybe 30 yards of the hare.sometimes closer.then you here that shout THATS WHAT YOU CALL A SLIP :whistling: .if you get one out of its seat its ears are back straight away and its away..then you get the tail flickers and back leg kickers who skip away showing that they are fit. my favorite.lol.

iam not saying you dont get hares that jump at 60 70 yards and just f+ck of of like lighting because you do.but most hares dont run flat out untill they are starting to get pressured.

so this fair law is just folk law in my opinion. :D

• Like 2

ya but he wasnt getting £500 a pup

fuxxing classic lol :laugh: :laugh:

ive been out with quite a few of your well known coursing men .so to speak,there hasn;t been to many that stand there and count to ten while the hare is making its get away. yes ive seen some massive slips.but 9 times out of 10 the doesn't hare put its ears back and go until the dogs is 50 maybe 30 yards of the hare.sometimes closer.then you here that shout THATS WHAT YOU CALL A SLIP :whistling: .if you get one out of its seat its ears are back straight away and its away..then you get the tail flickers and back leg kickers who skip away showing that they are fit. my favorite.lol.

iam not saying you dont get hares that jump at 60 70 yards and just f+ck of of like lighting because you do.but most hares dont run flat out untill they are starting to get pressured.

So you haven't seen hares chopped just out of their seats ,before they are able to get into their stride?

Folk law my arse. p.s.[ Its" lore" btw or were you making a bad pun?]

Edited by inan

So you haven't seen hares chopped just out of their seats ,before they are able to get into their stride?

Folk law my arse.

Nowadays, and for many years, fair law hasen't and does not come into it. And for me, as a non courser, can't see it happening. I want my dog to catch what it's running, not just chase it then see me waving it goodbye, it's hunting to me, not sport or fun Edited by shaaark

Would you shoot a hare Johnny? I wouldn't, haven't, never will. I suppose its down to what you hunt and regard as your quarry. The hare to me is like catching a salmon, the rabbit.... A trout.

what would be a sea trout :laugh:

That would be a trout that's went to sea :laugh: thought everyone knew that :D

Folk law my arse.

Nowadays, and for many years, fair law hasen't and does not come into it. And for me, as a non courser, can't see it happening. I want my dog to catch what it's running, not just chase it then see me waving it goodbye, it's hunting to me, not sport or fun

As I said twice ,"each to their own," but would you get the same satistaction out of your dog making a catch of a hare that has been kicked up under your feet and caught immediately ,as a catch that happens after watching an exciting course that started with the hare jumping say 60 yds away from you,one that involved the dog gradually getting the hare under control , putting in several turns , maybe boxing the hare away from cover , before going in and making a successful strike ? I know I wouldn't,

The latter would make my day ,the first would be meaningless to me, in fact I couldnt justify it to myself.

NB. If Hunting wasn't both sport, and fun for me I wouldn't do it.

Edited by inan
  • Like 1

Folk law my arse.

Nowadays, and for many years, fair law hasen't and does not come into it. And for me, as a non courser, can't see it happening. I want my dog to catch what it's running, not just chase it then see me waving it goodbye, it's hunting to me, not sport or fun

As I said twice ,"each to their own," but would you get the same satistaction out of your dog making a catch of a hare that has been kicked up under your feet and caught immediately ,as a catch that happens after watching an exciting course that started with the hare jumping say 60 yds away from you,one that involved the dog gradually getting the hare under control , putting in several turns , maybe boxing the hare away from cover , before going in and making a successful strike ? I know I wouldn't,

The latter would make my day ,the first would be meaningless to me, in fact I couldnt justify it to myself.

That's fair enough, and as I said, I can appreciate coursing dogs and I love hares, but far too many people regard hares as almost godlike, and decry others who don't bend to their way of thinking. And as johnnyboy said, all animals we hunt deserve respect, not just hares, well maybe not rats lol, and at the end of the day I simply want my dog to catch what it's running with as little fuss, and time, as possible. Also alot of hares are up and off well beyond what alot of coursers slip their dogs at anyway,so to me, alot of their preaching is a bit hypercritical. As has been said, it also depends on the type of land you're running and how frequently the hares are run, as to what distance and how you run em. Atb :thumbs: Edited by shaaark

Folk law my arse.

That's fair enough, and as I said, I can appreciate coursing dogs and I love hares, but far too many people regard hares as almost godlike, and decry others who don't bend to their way of thinking. And as johnnyboy said, all animals we hunt deserve respect, not just hares, well maybe not rats lol, and at the end of the day I simply want my dog to catch what it's running with as little fuss, and time, as possible. Also alot of hares are up and off well beyond what alot of coursers slip their dogs at anyway,so to me, alot of their preaching is a bit hypercritical. As has been said, it also depends on the type of land you're running and how frequently the hares are run, as to what distance and how you run em. Atb :thumbs:

How much respect are you giving a hare if you slip on it whilst it is in it's seat a yard in front of you?

I've been careful not to preach, and circumstances such as the land the closeness of cover etc obviously factor in the slip,

I think the majority of coursing men,[preban], enjoyed a good course whatever the end result was.Those that slipped on kick -ups, I would not class as coursing men anyway, because in my eyes ,that is not what they were doing.

Folk law my arse.

That's fair enough, and as I said, I can appreciate coursing dogs and I love hares, but far too many people regard hares as almost godlike, and decry others who don't bend to their way of thinking. And as johnnyboy said, all animals we hunt deserve respect, not just hares, well maybe not rats lol, and at the end of the day I simply want my dog to catch what it's running with as little fuss, and time, as possible. Also alot of hares are up and off well beyond what alot of coursers slip their dogs at anyway,so to me, alot of their preaching is a bit hypercritical. As has been said, it also depends on the type of land you're running and how frequently the hares are run, as to what distance and how you run em. Atb :thumbs:

How much respect are you giving a hare if you slip on it whilst it is in it's seat a yard in front of you?

I've been careful not to preach, and circumstances such as the land the closeness of cover etc obviously factor in the slip,

I think the majority of coursing men,[preban], enjoyed a good course whatever the end result was.Those that slipped on kick -ups, I would not class as coursing men anyway, because in my eyes ,that is not what they were doing.

I understand where you're coming from and wasn't pointing the finger at you as regards preaching, was just originally giving my opinion on what I'd do if a hare got up close to me. Like I said, I'm not a courser, but love running dogs and hares. As has been said, it's down to each individuals morals, ethics etc A T B :thumbs: Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1