Dogs In Days Gone By

Hey up lads, I was thinking about a conversation i had with a very descent old welsh farmer a while back while I was doing some work. His farm is high up in north wales, during this chat he asked what dogs id got and i told him, and he really seemed eager to talk hunting and about the good times he and his pals had in the past on the hills and mountains near by,he told me he used to always have a few terriers about but that he didnt have em anymore and that he prefers a bit of shooting rather than terrier work nowadays. When i asked what types he used he said russell xs mainly i was thinking x with fells or summat similar but when he said that his best were corgi x russells i was really surprised, as id not heard of em used but he went on to say he had one that drew foxes all the time. Were good dogs more plentyful years ago and id be interested to hear of any less usual xs that anyones had success with. Atb lads

MY MATE I USED TO WORK WITH TOLD ME HIS OLD MAN USED TO DIG YRS AGO, AND SAID HE HAD A VERY HARD BITCH THAT WAS PAT X RUSSELL/YORKY,WITH ALL THE SHOW DOGS ABOUT TODAY, HARD TO FIND A DECENT DOG NOWADAYS JUST SHOWS THAT TERRIERS WERE WORKING TERRIERS BK IN THE DAY ATB D4G

• Like 2

MY MATE I USED TO WORK WITH TOLD ME HIS OLD MAN USED TO DIG YRS AGO, AND SAID HE HAD A VERY HARD BITCH THAT WAS PAT X RUSSELL/YORKY,WITH ALL THE SHOW DOGS ABOUT TODAY, HARD TO FIND A DECENT DOG NOWADAYS JUST SHOWS THAT TERRIERS WERE WORKING TERRIERS BK IN THE DAY ATB D4G

one of my best terriers was yorky x jack russell good bushing puggin bitch then she enter too fox when she was about 10 or 11 years old and was PTS at 19 bless her
  • Like 1

My grandfather-in-law used be a very good terrier man in his day had all different types of terriers & they were worked to the highest standards & 1 of his best digging dogs was a corgixrussell bow legs, long back & the ugliest dog you ever seen but hard as nails,never failed to find & would stay until dug to but sadly got killed at 10yr old in a kennel fight when he was in retirement :( but the stories of him will always be remembered ;) atb cbx

• Like 2

The early Sealyham from Wales was a different type than the KC version today.

Below are some of the early breeding stock used to develop them.

Bigger, Rougher and higher on the leg.

post-42222-0-49204500-1359021291.jpg

Duck. the Dam of "Ivo Challenger 1910" a famous Sealyham Stud dog.

post-42222-0-77746400-1359021173.jpg

Huntsman another famous Sealyham stud dog

post-42222-0-26125900-1359021190.jpg

Champion Chawston Bess and Champian Chawston Betty 1910

Corgi may have entered the blood lines but it was probably earlier than 1850's.

The original Corgi appears to have been a cur type of dog.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lloyd-Thomas ( He Researced Corgi History) describes the original Corgi as follows:

Long and muscular of body; very low of build; heavy of bone with inward sloping forelegs

terminating in outbent forefeet; prominent breastbone; large drooping, rounded tipped ears of

distinctive shape; wide forehead; comparatively deep and blunt muzzle; immensely strong

neck; an odourless, smooth, close laying, wiry coat; a thick, lengthy, profusely feathered tail;

possessed of a disposition normally quiet and reserved, and weighing upwards of 30 lbs., the

original Corgi resembled more than anything else a bull-chested old type dachshund. The

original Corgis were of three principal colours: a rich golden yellow tinged with red gold, and

tending at certain seasons to become almost entirely red gold; blue and blue grey merles;

and most frequently a rather indescribable kind of golden brown merle with just a hint of blue

or greyness. In all cases white markings in varying degrees were present. Black and white

dogs seem to have occasionally occurred.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good pics and info there p3d, its mad how much breeds have changed since kc type breeders got hold of em, and totally f*****g ruined em imo.

IMO Any working type dog is usually not a great looking dog.
It is when breeders start to think that they can have working quality AND looks that dogs run into trouble.
If you were going for open heart surgery tomorrow morning,
you would not care if the surgeon was good looking.
You would only care that he/she could do their job.

To digging men the beauty is seeing the dog work.
When I see a dog after a good result, covered in earth, he looks good to me.

Now before the show brigade start jumping up and down.
Is there a good looking dog out there that works well...yes
But the combination is rare IMO.
  • Like 1