Pigs And Sheep

Hi thedogman

A 410g would only really be suitable for pigs under 3 months/35kg. A 12g-20g, using a slug rather than shot, would be needed for anything larger. Remember a gunshot will only stun the pig and you will then have to sever the carotid (neck) or brachia (armpit) artery -a really messy business as pigs bleed a lot! Can't comment on sheep but I'd imagine the weight restrictions above would apply and the 410g would be ok for infant calves but not cows.

A .410 is my preferred tool for putting down all stock upto and including cows. It is more than upto the job. I've only ever shot one bull and used a 12 bore on that so can't comment on how a .410 would work.

I much prefer to use a .410 to my .38.

• Like 1

Hi thedogman

A 410g would only really be suitable for pigs under 3 months/35kg. A 12g-20g, using a slug rather than shot, would be needed for anything larger. Remember a gunshot will only stun the pig and you will then have to sever the carotid (neck) or brachia (armpit) artery -a really messy business as pigs bleed a lot! Can't comment on sheep but I'd imagine the weight restrictions above would apply and the 410g would be ok for infant calves but not cows.

try and dig out some of the old documentation from a few years ago, but from memery I am sure a .410 was acceptable as from 10cm the shot acts as a solid slug, but disperses quickly causing the crushing of the brain. What I cant remember though, and I suspect that it was really only for emergency slaughter. I agree that a larger calibre would do the job better.

Hi thedogman

How do you mean a gunshot will only stun a pig?

• Like 1

Hi danw

Firstly I'm assuming a stance of safe (to the shooter) and humane (to the pig) euthanasia using the standard shot to the head.

To minimise the risk from a bullet leaving the carcase a .22 is the most commonly used calibre therefore the effect, even at close range, is predominantly concussion with damage to brain tissue for bullets fully penetrating the skull. A rule of thumb for an adult pig is a muzzle energy of greater than 300 ftlbs so your average 22LR at around 150ftlbs is not really up to giving a clean kill and will more likely just stun it. That is not to say that it would not eventually die, but not quickly enough for it to be humane, hence cutting the arteries after shooting to speed up the process.

Obviously if you shoot the beast with a 50 calibre you'll kill it but the neighbours might have something to say about it :nono:

Hi danw

Firstly I'm assuming a stance of safe (to the shooter) and humane (to the pig) euthanasia using the standard shot to the head.

To minimise the risk from a bullet leaving the carcase a .22 is the most commonly used calibre therefore the effect, even at close range, is predominantly concussion with damage to brain tissue for bullets fully penetrating the skull. A rule of thumb for an adult pig is a muzzle energy of greater than 300 ftlbs so your average 22LR at around 150ftlbs is not really up to giving a clean kill and will more likely just stun it. That is not to say that it would not eventually die, but not quickly enough for it to be humane, hence cutting the arteries after shooting to speed up the process.

Obviously if you shoot the beast with a 50 calibre you'll kill it but the neighbours might have something to say about it :nono:

I get you now you meant a .22 gunshot would stun a pig

i when along to a pick up years ago to watch the slaughter of a large pot belly pig.

the nackerman doing the job was using a .38 cal pistol if i remember right with a spring to hold the barrel in.

the owner was obviously gay and he loved this pig but it had to be slaughtered.

the guy took the shot from about 12 foot in its pen as the beast was nasty. the shot went off and the pig was hit in the head blood trickling down it head..

the owner stood behind a wall said,'is it over yet' and the nackerman said totally the wrong thing,'i've shot it but not killed it'.

the owner just started crying his eyes out! understandably.

I learned that day that pigs are tough and i seem to remember they have 2 inch thick skulls.

compared to a cow with say 0.75inch thick bone.

that said i can understand why a pig might need a well placed shot with a few hundred ft/lbs!

Our hunts man advised me couple of years ago if you ever need to shoot a pig use a 12 bore a 2pence worth thickness away from the fleshy behind the ear and that will do it.

He did have to shoot our old boar last year a 70 stone pig down flat with that method, a good safe method.as for sheep .22lr and cows need a bit more from the safety aspect of shooter not killing. Most calibres will kill but with a cow our hunts man says there are a few places on the skull but the shooter needs to stand in a safe place if the cow moves or falls you have to be able to get out the way. Cows that are down through the front of the skull.

I've shot thousands of cattle, sheep, goats and pigs with various things including captive bolt and .410.

The .410 is perfectly capable of dispatching anything from a fat lamb up to a horse. Much safer than a .22 and more effective.

A captive bolt will only stun, and requires quite a bit of skill.

A .410 allows for a margin of error, and is very safe to use at close (about 12 inches is fine) range.

You should never shoot to the back of the head; it's not necessary, and it is illegal (slaughter of red meat animals regulations).

A shotgun is the recommended method for emergency slaughter.

Edited to add: just before xmas I had to go out on an emergency call out to deal with a job that someone else had botched up with a .22 on a goat. Hushpower .410 with 3" No6 cartridge and frontal shot. It did the job just fine and the owners were very grateful.

Edited by Matt the Rat
  • Like 1