Standing off with catch, Won't retrieve

I own a 3year old Saluki/Greyhound x Whippet/Greyhound. Iv'e owned her since 2 years old, She can catch a rabbit as good as any I've seen. when she catches a rabbit she won't bring it right in, Instead when they dead stop kicking she drops and will return to me empty handed.

I know this is probably due to training in pup days. I have tried walking off/ Standing still saying nothing/ Offering a treat. But none work any tips on getting her to improve to a full retrieve. I own a shock collar and have never used it on any of my dogs but don't think it would achieve anything in this situation.

Any advice Greatfull

Dont ffs use the collar, i would get her to sit and hold things in the house first, when she does that get her to hold while walking with you then move on to retreaveing but at her age you might just have to accept that she doest retreave as good as you want her too, put the collar on a smack head mate, best thing for them, good luck, buster.

Edited by buster gonads
  • Like 2

Dont ffs use the collar, i would get her to sit and hold things in the house first, when she does that get her to hold while walking with you then move on to retreaveing but at her age you might just have to accept that she doest retreave as good as you want her too, put the collar on a smack head mate, best thing for them, good luck, buster.

I would just add my vote to not using the collar.

How is she on coming in when you call her without the rabbit?

If she isn't spot-on I would go back to basics and work on that. She's still young enough to learn, and be a great dog at the end of it.

Personaly i think you will have your work cut out trying to get any degree of retrieving,,but that all part and parcel of buying a adult dog i'm afraid..just be thanfull she is brining them somewhere near you instead of leaving them 2 field's away..

Edited by Millet
  • Like 1

[bANNED TEXT] she's caught a rabbit tie it to her callar so its dragging under her front legs she will get fed up of triping over it and start to carry it ! Its worked for me in the past !

:laugh: :laugh: you walk about with a rabbit tied to your dogs collar :icon_redface:

• Like 1

It can be done.

My bitch was about 3 when I got her 8 months ago.

She did everything perfect except retrieve. She would stay with the rabbit where she caught it and also didnt want to hand it over when I got to her.

She would growl if I tried to go near her food and wouldn't play with tug toys with me.

8 months on she plays tug, is not protective of food what so ever, I could take a raw meaty bone off her with no problems, she doesn't retrieve all the way but she comes to about 6 feet away and submits it no problem.

I haven't taught her to retrieve. Just improved the bond.

All the best.

Gaz

[bANNED TEXT] she's caught a rabbit tie it to her callar so its dragging under her front legs she will get fed up of triping over it and start to carry it ! Its worked for me in the past !

That my friend is up there with the advice to feed a dog tinned rice pudding daily, and to stick a finger up it's bum if it doesn't come in when called!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We should start a new thread of the best (worse) dog advice on here :laugh: .

Get a fur skin dummy,put her on the lead and take her for a walk.Get her to carry the dummy and exchange for food.Do this about 4 times and then put the dummy in your pocket.Build on your bond,go back to basics and don;t rush onto the next thing untill this has been thougherly taught.

yes and if its not stock broke tie it to a cow...........

• Like 5