Sperm Straws from terriers

What do you lads think about keeping sperm from a stud dog? Are there any dogs from your past that you wish you could have back again to use over a bitch? Or do you think evolution is the way forward and let the past be the past? Be good to hear from some of our older members on this one.

Stevie

• Like 1

i would like to learn more about A I. . it must be a handy tool for folk with rare breeds. like the wheaten.. and it would help spead the genes of proven workers / producers. just imagine if you could get a line off old bill brightmores stuff or the old buck/brey lines. :D the laky boys could get a straw off chowt faced rock the beddy lads could get stuff from dobsons terriers :yes: .

i wouldnt mind getting some off my ozzy. for future use . :thumbs:

ps hope you had a good new year stevo :yes:

• Like 1

Interesting question.. I think it would bring in the money men in even more can you imagine having some sperm straws from for the sake of argument say goulds smithy! And how much some people from around the world would be willing to pay to say they had a litter from him?

I think it's a cracking idea, think this is gonna be a good post, as you say will be interesting to read the views of the older members. There were some cracking dogs out there sadly gone but not forgotten but equally there are some new dogs making names for themselves. To be able to keep the sperm for A.I in years to come from dogs no longer around....surly that's gotta be a good thing.

My old man arranged this back in the early 70s for Jnr's Corrie but the day before the appointment at the Glasgow vet school Corrie got trapped below ground in Lanarkshire and was too dehydrated to go the next day they never got it done something they've always regreted. Seasons greetings Stevie from all the familly

• Like 2

I am in the process of doing it now. I have sent straws to a friend in Australia because of the difficulties of importing dogs, and I believe he is about to try it for the first time when his gyp bleeds. It is a great thing to be able to do. If you've got a good one and the right female hasn't come along yet... you can kick back and wait until she does.

Nothing will take the sting out of losing a good one.. but it helps minimize the damage in the event the dog dies doing it's job. As hard as it was to get good jagds here, it makes no sense to let the great ones get themselves killed before having them collected. When we first started importing them most were sht. But as we learned from our mistakes they got much better. We even approached the German club with the idea of collecting from their dogs, but they were less than receptive. They don't see a need to freeze semen as they are always breeding forward, and there really isn't a need for them. Add to that the fact that a breed warden gives final approval to all breeding decisions and the idea of us making breedings that suited us here didn't have much of a chance. They have a really great breeding program... and it would have been great to be able to acess the data in selecting breeding pairs. But it didn't work out and we'll have to go about it the good old fasioned way... but with a little added insurance.

• Like 1

jawn,what was the cost?we are in the process of doing it also.we got a price of 240 euros to take 3 straws and that includes storing them for 12 months.then its 380 euros to use 1 on a bitch,its surgically put into the bitch as opposed to a tube up the rear side.the bitch is knocked out and operated on.this im told is far more reliable and successful than the other way the vets do it.After 12 months in storage its 10 euro every year for every straw they save.Hopefully we'll have it sorted in the next few weeks.

File preperation $45

Collection, evaluation and freezing (four vials) $200

Anual storage per dog (up to 30 vials) $72

Brucellosis test $45

Total base fee for four vials $362

We are collecting several dogs and have used more than one comapny. To make matter worse we have to learn as we go and always end up payong more than we have to it seems.

•  

Edited by jawn

A friend of mine enquired at Edinburgh vet school and the cost wasn't too bad. I don't know if Glasgow vet school does it but I would imagine so. I had a dog picked for one of my bitches recently and he just wouldn't perform. The owner told me he had been kennelled with bitches in season but never sired a pup. The dog has blood that I value highly and has seen a lot of work. I had given up on the idea until someone mentioned straws. I used another dog on the bitch but think I might try this for the future.