Returning to Air-Rifles - BSA or Weihrauch ?

Having looked at the HW's.... i came across one i had not even considered, the HW98. It looks stunning, and although a bit more than the 95 i think i will try and find a mint one on the web. Thanks for the help and i will post pics when i eventually find one..... they do seem a bit rare though !

• Like 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What they said!   You'd be amazed at the difference between a hw and a beeza mate   Cheers, wurz

if you can wait a while mate, you'll be able to pick up a nice but old for around 150-200, theyre always turning up on gunstar/gunmart etc   the older ones are better engineered than the new ones,

Having looked at the HW's.... i came across one i had not even considered, the HW98. It looks stunning, and although a bit more than the 95 i think i will try and find a mint one on the web. Thanks fo

HW everytime over the bsa , just bought a 90k and love it, used to have a 77, and my brother has a 80, air arms great guns to had a pro sport and a tx 200 all fantasic guns and in a different league to any bsa springer, plenty of second hand bargains out there if you look hard enough

all the best

TJ

why a springer. you should think about getting a cheap pcp. something like a webley raider. althought i guess it all depends on what your price range is. on the other hand a springer has many perks but i could never go back to a springer. biught my first rifle -webley vulcan- and then noticed that it sucked. so i never knew what the full potential os a springer was. but i for one could never shoot a springer like i shoot my pcp falcon fn19.

why a springer. you should think about getting a cheap pcp. something like a webley raider. althought i guess it all depends on what your price range is. on the other hand a springer has many perks but i could never go back to a springer. biught my first rifle -webley vulcan- and then noticed that it sucked. so i never knew what the full potential os a springer was. but i for one could never shoot a springer like i shoot my pcp falcon fn19.

Been there, done that.

For a lower cost pcp, the latest Webley Raider 10XS is certainly a great bit of kit, but for the independence, simplicity and durability a quality spring rifle (such as the Air Arms and HW's mentioned) offers, the Raider and other PCP's fall way short in my experience.

Unfortunately for PCP, springers have had a sizeable head start, and very much doubt we will hear of PCP's being handed down father (even grand father!) to son and still doing the job like we so often hear regarding HW's and proper old British BSA's and Webleys. That fact alone speaks volumes to me.

• Like 1

Go for a Weihrauch or Air Arms spring rifle and you won't go wrong. To be honest, I cannot see why some people spend over a thousand quid on a PCP when a well-set up HW77, HW80, HW97, HW95 or a TX200/Prosport will match it for accuracy at less than half the cost and none of the hassle of filling it with air from pumps and diving bottles. All of these springers will punch single hole groups at decent ranges and that's as accurate as you can get.

Or am I missing something? (terrible pun!)

Pianoman

Been there, done that.

For a lower cost pcp, the latest Webley Raider 10XS is certainly a great bit of kit, but for the independence, simplicity and durability a quality spring rifle (such as the Air Arms and HW's mentioned) offers, the Raider and other PCP's fall way short in my experience.

Unfortunately for PCP, springers have had a sizeable head start, and very much doubt we will hear of PCP's being handed down father (even grand father!) to son and still doing the job like we so often hear regarding HW's and proper old British BSA's and Webleys. That fact alone speaks volumes to me.

yeah good point, but if you can be bothered to pump it up all the time or get a diving bottle then you could rule out that. i will admit im a bit bias when it comes down to this as i had a bad experience with a springer. also, pcp's have a potential multi-shot system where-as a springer does not. would be handy if doing hide shooting when you don't want to make much movement. and pcp's are a lot quieter. and you dont have to use the artil hold, which i could never do properly.

Been there, done that.

Not Quite True Mike i have a Contender for PCP Longevity = The Rapid, The Same Design is still going strong after more than 20 yrs even makers like Daystate and BSA have tried to Copy

the Rapid, And to Cap it off the Legend JD Had one ;), There are still Original Models going strong because of the Rugged simplicity of the Design and Ease of repair and tuning and upgrading :yes:

I've a Feeling My two Rapids will outlast Me :laugh:, But i still love a decent Springer as well that's Why i have one of the all time Best the HW 77 in .22cal.

atvb Daz 7.

Edited by Daz 7

Been there, done that.

Not Quite True Mike i have a Contender for PCP Longevity = The Rapid, The Same Design is still going strong after more than 20 yrs even makers like Daystate and BSA have tried to Copy

the Rapid, And to Cap it off the Legend JD Had one ;), There are still Original Models going strong because of the Rugged simplicity of the Design and Ease of repair and tuning and upgrading :yes:

I've a Feeling My two Rapids will outlast Me :laugh:, But i still love a decent Springer as well that's Why i have one of the all time Best the HW 77 in .22cal.

atvb Daz 7.

Sounds like the Rapid may a potential exception, though it would then be worth noting the numbers and volumes of numerous different springers that have stood the test of time and been handed down. Webley MKIII's, Hawke, Vulcan, BSA SuperSports, AirSporters, Meteor, Mercury, Weihrauch HW80's/35's/95's/77's to name but a few.

It will certainly be interesting to see in 20-30 years time how many pcp's earn the heritage the above springers did, or whether in fact the spring design is simply too good to be beaten.

I believe PCP air rifles actually came first with the invention of the revolutionary Girandoni (Wind Rifle), the first repeating 'firearm' with tubular magazine that is credited with being crucial to the survival of the fledgling United States by enabling Lewis and Clarke to bluff their way to the East Coast and back tricking and scaring the Indians into swearing allegiance to Uncle Sam.

http://youtu.be/-pqFyKh-rUI

Edited by milegajo

Been there, done that.

yeah good point, but if you can be bothered to pump it up all the time or get a diving bottle then you could rule out that. i will admit im a bit bias when it comes down to this as i had a bad experience with a springer. also, pcp's have a potential multi-shot system where-as a springer does not. would be handy if doing hide shooting when you don't want to make much movement. and pcp's are a lot quieter. and you dont have to use the artil hold, which i could never do properly.

Want to bet?

http://www.gamo.co.uk/goldstar.htm

BSA Goldstar

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/theoben_evolution_vs._theoben_slr98/

Theoben SLR98!

Two very good rifles there (ok so one uses a gas spring and one a metal spring)!