if greyhounds are the fastest?...

If pure greys were the most suitable dog for the job, then why doesn't everyone use them........................answers on a postcard please......

no one is saying that mate have a read through it all .atb

Oh believe me, I have..............

Can you tell me why most folk use derivitives of the greyhound........ rather than the pure thing............................?

i can but i wont :yes::D

I think we all already know why....... :yes::D

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as i said on page two the bitch i reared from 8 weeks old and lived to 11 was a good hunting partner and put plenty stuff away but any one who gets a ex track dog and thinks it can do as well as a lur

The use of pastoral dogs to produce lurchers goes back to the times when the common man couldn't own any dog above terrier size unless it was used for herding/droving. Put a rough coat over a longdog

Lurcher owners/breeders are after the "Holy Grail" of the running dog ; a dog with the speed of the Greyhound, the brains of the Collie, the stamina of the Saluki, coat of a Deerhound, the heart of th

Posted Images

Why do people ride motorbikes,when a car is warmer safer drier,Because they want to.

If you like to see a fast dog work then you ain't going to getter faster than a greyhound,Like any fast dog your trading speed for other qualities.

Why has one got to be better than another it depends what you want....

I don't think one is better than the other, I see the different qualities in other types of Lurcher too. I may never want to own one but it doesn't mean I can't admire the qualities that make them excel.

I run a Lurcher/longdog myself at the moment and for what I want he's better than a pure grey.

I don't like people slagging off an entire breed and spreading nonsense about the working ability of that breed when they have no experience or knowledge of the breed in question.

And I don't like smart arses calling me a liar like you did in your opening post. Loads on here have seen greyhounds run into fences, in your small minded world we've not seen it happen but heard it down the pub. That's what gets my hackles up. As for us not being able to comment on the subject, we were answering the original question as best we could through our experiences. We didn't know at the time we weren't allowed cos we had an expert on the site. Maybe next time you could let us know earlier in the thread that your going to bore us with your monologue of wisdom. As for me showing my lack of ability to train a dog to jump, I was 11 at the time and it wasn't my f*****g dog!!! Can't remember the other bile you spewed, I'm on an iPhone so it's not so easy to see posts. But predictably I noticed you threw me a challenge. Always the sign when someone has lost the argument. At present I can't take your challenge so you can take the moral high ground there. But trust me, in all the years I've been on here I've accepted countless challenges thrown at me and trust me, they have been in double figures.

Now, I love fast type dogs, where I run they are the bees knees. I don't like plodders but appreciate they have a purpose and are good at what they do. I'm a hare man first and foremost. In my view a hare would love a greyhound chasing it rather than a lurcher. I've been to altcar etc, great days out. I've never seen them do anything better than a lurcher could do apart from bend like the titanic. Hares love dogs that over shoot. A perfect lurcher is one that has good pace to get on the hare fast, has gears when needed to force the hare away from fences etc, can stay behind the hare forcing it to make mistakes and enough in the tank to up a gear when the moments right to strike. It takes brains to make a good hare catcher as well as speed, stamina. Out of those 3 traits the greyhound possesses 1,

speed. A hare will only run as fast as its getting chased so the raw speed of the greyhound is overkill. Watching a dog take 20 yard bends, run past the hare, etc etc isn't what's needed. If you could add brains, get the dog to harness that speed and use it when it needs to, then you have the perfect killing machine, I.e the lurcher.

• Like 2

The use of pastoral dogs to produce lurchers goes back to the times when the common man couldn't own any dog above terrier size unless it was used for herding/droving. Put a rough coat over a longdog and call it a herding dog. No one's any the wiser and your dog has the speed to take game without falling foul of the law. People have followed on from this and added their own choice of dogs to the mix depending on the work they would see, the fashion at the time and, in some cases, which pups would sell for the most.

It's surprising the amount of people that can give an opinion on pure greyhounds in the field when so few are used. I've worked greys and by reading from the replies I can tell who's actually seen one work and who's just repeating nonsense they've heard down the pub. They're not made of glass, their feet are no worse than a lot of bull x's. this notion that they run at 40mph straight into the nearest obstacle is ridiculous and if true, would mean that the greyhound would be on the endangered species list. Those that are given the chance to run in the field have no problem turning either and their skin, whilst thin, isn't made of tissue.

Before the Internet, you had to just believe in what you saw. Sure there were always tall tales of dogs entering a field and killing 5 hares before returning to their owners side ready to run again and people have always tried to say that beddy whippets could pull fallow bucks, tigers, rhinos, etc but those that were actually out doing a bit never took much notice of these stories.

When I was younger a lot of the coursing boys still used pure greys and, as a result, there were plenty about lamping and mooching. They're not without their faults, but then again which type of running dog is fault free?

Try and see a decent one work for yourself, I know that could prove difficult for a lot of people but until you do, don't fall into the trap of slagging them off just to try and fit in with the other boys. You may find that the other boys are full of it and aren't allowed out on their own after dark.

Apart from Coursing meetings run by the Scottish coursing club,

the only Greyhound I seen in the field was owned by a traveller, we saw it run down Border Lads way, and saw it catch twice, did not see if it could jump, it didn't need to.

Years ago I was part of a Greyhound syndicate, one of the members, was always taking his Track Greyhound after Hares, that one other member said he should have bought a Lurcher, although I did not accompany him on these trips, his dog never seem to have any injuries, in fact im sure it received more injuries running in the local Flapping track.

• Like 1

Why do people ride motorbikes,when a car is warmer safer drier,Because they want to.

If you like to see a fast dog work then you ain't going to getter faster than a greyhound,Like any fast dog your trading speed for other qualities.

Why has one got to be better than another it depends what you want....

I don't think one is better than the other, I see the different qualities in other types of Lurcher too. I may never want to own one but it doesn't mean I can't admire the qualities that make them excel.

I run a Lurcher/longdog myself at the moment and for what I want he's better than a pure grey.

I don't like people slagging off an entire breed and spreading nonsense about the working ability of that breed when they have no experience or knowledge of the breed in question.

And I don't like smart arses calling me a liar like you did in your opening post. Loads on here have seen greyhounds run into fences, in your small minded world we've not seen it happen but heard it down the pub. That's what gets my hackles up. As for us not being able to comment on the subject, we were answering the original question as best we could through our experiences. We didn't know at the time we weren't allowed cos we had an expert on the site. Maybe next time you could let us know earlier in the thread that your going to bore us with your monologue of wisdom. As for me showing my lack of ability to train a dog to jump, I was 11 at the time and it wasn't my f*****g dog!!! Can't remember the other bile you spewed, I'm on an iPhone so it's not so easy to see posts. But predictably I noticed you threw me a challenge. Always the sign when someone has lost the argument. At present I can't take your challenge so you can take the moral high ground there. But trust me, in all the years I've been on here I've accepted countless challenges thrown at me and trust me, they have been in double figures.

Now, I love fast type dogs, where I run they are the bees knees. I don't like plodders but appreciate they have a purpose and are good at what they do. I'm a hare man first and foremost. In my view a hare would love a greyhound chasing it rather than a lurcher. I've been to altcar etc, great days out. I've never seen them do anything better than a lurcher could do apart from bend like the titanic. Hares love dogs that over shoot. A perfect lurcher is one that has good pace to get on the hare fast, has gears when needed to force the hare away from fences etc, can stay behind the hare forcing it to make mistakes and enough in the tank to up a gear when the moments right to strike. It takes brains to make a good hare catcher as well as speed, stamina. Out of those 3 traits the greyhound possesses 1,

speed. A hare will only run as fast as its getting chased so the raw speed of the greyhound is overkill. Watching a dog take 20 yard bends, run past the hare, etc etc isn't what's needed. If you could add brains, get the dog to harness that speed and use it when it needs to, then you have the perfect killing machine, I.e the lurcher.

Here's the whole point of the matter, your basing your opinion on a breed on your experiences as an 11 year old with a borrowed dog. There loads of people on here that have seen all manner of running dogs hit fences, not just greyhounds. You said earlier that you'd only ever seen ex racers work and now claim to have been to coursing events, which is it?

My dog is 5/8 Greyhpund so according to your theory he's 5/8 useless. That's simply not true.

I'm on an iPhone too, if you open another page in safari you can skip between the two to keep read all the posts, simple really.

If you haven't even got a dog how about you just come and see my dog run, he's not far off a greyhounds speed and maybe you'll see that big fast dogs don't hit stuff all the time and can turn better than the Titanic. If he collides with every obstacle in the field you can come on here and say so and if he doesn't and runs flat out without smashing into every fence you can also say so. My dog will hit cover and follow game into it but does it properly.

Surely as a hare man, you're not worried about having a killing machine but more about the quality of the run. The hare men I know aren't worried if old puss gets away and always want a good hare to escape. Maybe because you're from a long line of poachers you see things differently. There's always been a bigger market for rabbits than hares.

Ex racing greyhounds are no measure of greyhounds in the field. You've changed your story about that and your new claim of going to Altcar makes your previous post seem like a load of old Baws!

You've failed to answer my questions with regard to feet and feet in lurchers, simply because you don't know the answer and your nonsense about greyhounds having crap feet doesn't stand up.

So put up, come and see the dog run, you've only got your pride to lose. If your expert advice is correct we won't be out long before my dog hits top speed and smashes into a fence/tree/gate/boulder. Or is there another reason why my fast dog won't hit the stuff that a fast greyhound will?

You don't like being called a liar yet you've never been out with a proper working Greyhound and by your own admission have only seen ex racers work. In my mind you are a liar, the information that you've given about greyhounds is untrue so therefore you're either a liar or ill informed.

Lol kranky, I'm really struggling to come down to your moronic level. I said I've seen ex racers work in the field and I'm a liar because I've been to the Waterloo cup!!!! So tell me, you go to the Waterloo cup and watch, do you go home and tell everyone you've been working greyhounds in the field all day? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? The ex racer I said was good was when I was 11, I've seen nothing but pish since. It was always fast dogs I had too kranky but once again your moving the goal posts from using a greyhound to a lurcher almost a greyhound. It's getting really boring watching you talk tripe in order to get a rise. Your writing style had me thinking who could you be, but I know now :) and its very convenient your wee pal should show up to back you up at the same time. How are the fens these days? I seen that wee video you done, fkn belter HAW HAW HAW :laugh:

ive known 2 greyhound bitches the first was never raced and was as good a hunting dog on open ground as any. the second an exracer that was given the time to become a normal dog before she was hunted she was mostly used over the ferrets and was exerlent for the task . both these bitches were breed to deerhounds and produced exerlent off spring. however if you haver the open ground they are quite good but they do have thin skin and light bone. in the early days of the colony they wetre breed to deerhound and some times smooth collie this produced a dog suited for the large game and harsh scrub.