if greyhounds are the fastest?...

Your just being silly now kranky. You said you never thought people would talk about ex racers in the field. Errrr hello, what are 99.99999% of greyhounds used for? I don't think you have ever been in a field have you? You say greyhounds have great feet, are you serious? Obviously lurchers hit stuff but here's a wee something for you to digest, the faster the animal the more likely it is to hit something. You take a speed bomb into a boulder strewn hill, it's more likely to hit one compared to a more slower type. I seriously don't know why I'm wasting my time with you, your knowledge regarding field craft comes from books. Ill just bow to your superior knowledge on the matter...... Greyhounds are the dogs bollocks

What are.you on about? The majority of greyhounds in this country are used for racing but this isn't about racing dogs.

You're such a fan of quoting me, show me where I said greyhounds had great feet. They haven't got feet that get smashed up everytime they're out, anymore than any other dog. Some have good feet some have bad feet. You've not answered my questions with regard to the other breeds I mentioned because you do t know the answers. Long toes don't make a dog slower or more prone to injury.

A faster dog is more likely to hit stuff than a slower dog? Are you seriously offering that up as a fact? Lack of real world experience is showing through here.

are you seriously arguing that fact? a fast dog is always going to be more prone to hitting stuff that a slower dog due to momentum etc., didn't you ever do physics at school pal?

An ill balanced dog will hit more stuff than a fast one. Certain breeds of dog are more inclined to hit stuff due to their conformation rather than their speed. Some slow dogs hit more stuff than faster dogs due to their mentality.

and will then get back up and carry on.

I kind of get the feeling you're one of those people that argues for the sake of arguing tbh!

What????? What if it hits a fence post or a 5 bar gate or a piece of machinery ? It's just gonna jump up and carry on? Get a grip!! Regardless of the speed some things stop a dog in it's tracks. A 90lb Grey isn't a fragile animal. You're arguing and coming out with ridiculous statements.

didn't say it was fragile, but if anything hits a gate at 45 mph it's going to be a bit broken, fragile or not!

I agree but a dog hitting a gate at 25 miles an hour will be a bit broken too.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as i said on page two the bitch i reared from 8 weeks old and lived to 11 was a good hunting partner and put plenty stuff away but any one who gets a ex track dog and thinks it can do as well as a lur

The use of pastoral dogs to produce lurchers goes back to the times when the common man couldn't own any dog above terrier size unless it was used for herding/droving. Put a rough coat over a longdog

Lurcher owners/breeders are after the "Holy Grail" of the running dog ; a dog with the speed of the Greyhound, the brains of the Collie, the stamina of the Saluki, coat of a Deerhound, the heart of th

Posted Images

I've seen three track Greyhounds suffer terrible injuries when tried in the field.

One was a dog that his owner thought a run on a hare might "pep him up" ! It came back from a course with a broken toe, broken tail, split head and looked like it had been "unzipped" down it's spine. It was put down.

Another was slipped on a roe, it's hock snapped like a dry twig on the first turn. It was put down.

The next was also slipped on a roe, but it saved the expense of being put down; it ran into a tree and broke it's neck.

The one thing they had in common was exterme speed. They were on their quarry in an instant. If they had been brought up in the field instead of on the track, would they have been better, who knows ?

Cheers.

• Like 5

Your just being silly now kranky. You said you never thought people would talk about ex racers in the field. Errrr hello, what are 99.99999% of greyhounds used for? I don't think you have ever been in a field have you? You say greyhounds have great feet, are you serious? Obviously lurchers hit stuff but here's a wee something for you to digest, the faster the animal the more likely it is to hit something. You take a speed bomb into a boulder strewn hill, it's more likely to hit one compared to a more slower type. I seriously don't know why I'm wasting my time with you, your knowledge regarding field craft comes from books. Ill just bow to your superior knowledge on the matter...... Greyhounds are the dogs bollocks

What are.you on about? The majority of greyhounds in this country are used for racing but this isn't about racing dogs.

You're such a fan of quoting me, show me where I said greyhounds had great feet. They haven't got feet that get smashed up everytime they're out, anymore than any other dog. Some have good feet some have bad feet. You've not answered my questions with regard to the other breeds I mentioned because you do t know the answers. Long toes don't make a dog slower or more prone to injury.

A faster dog is more likely to hit stuff than a slower dog? Are you seriously offering that up as a fact? Lack of real world experience is showing through here.

are you seriously arguing that fact? a fast dog is always going to be more prone to hitting stuff that a slower dog due to momentum etc., didn't you ever do physics at school pal?

An ill balanced dog will hit more stuff than a fast one. Certain breeds of dog are more inclined to hit stuff due to their conformation rather than their speed. Some slow dogs hit more stuff than faster dogs due to their mentality.

what book did you read that from , ? its blatently ovious to most you have little to no experience of running and working dogs in the field ,the more you say the more it just confirmes it ;)

It's blatantly obvious that I'm lucky in the fact that there's a few blokes on here that have been out with me and seen my dogs work and know that I've been at this dog lark for over 26 years. Maybe I'm a bit thick and haven't picked up anything in that time and I've just been lucky with the runs my dogs have had and the game they've taken.

I kind of get the feeling you're one of those people that argues for the sake of arguing tbh!

What????? What if it hits a fence post or a 5 bar gate or a piece of machinery ? It's just gonna jump up and carry on? Get a grip!! Regardless of the speed some things stop a dog in it's tracks. A 90lb Grey isn't a fragile animal. You're arguing and coming out with ridiculous statements.

didn't say it was fragile, but if anything hits a gate at 45 mph it's going to be a bit broken, fragile or not!

it's the same with anything when speed is involved, it's not just about absolute speed, it's reaction times aswell. Presumably greyhounds don't have reaction times that are much faster (if at all faster) than lurchers? so if a dog is running something through trees or some other obstacles the dog has got to react to what's in front of it, as in the trees, bushes, fences etc. that in the lurchers case are it's seeing at 35mph, if the greyhound is seeing the same obstacles coming at it 10mph faster, and it has the same reaction times then it's more likely to hit one of them....surely?

as i said on page two the bitch i reared from 8 weeks old and lived to 11 was a good hunting partner and put plenty stuff away but any one who gets a ex track dog and thinks it can do as well as a lurcher needs to get in to some thing different and she never suffered with bad feet or ran in to any thing could jump like a stag big differents between a track dog and one brought up as a worker .atb

• Like 9

it's the same with anything when speed is involved, it's not just about absolute speed, it's reaction times aswell. Presumably greyhounds don't have reaction times that are much faster (if at all faster) than lurchers? so if a dog is running something through trees or some other obstacles the dog has got to react to what's in front of it, as in the trees, bushes, fences etc. that in the lurchers case are it's seeing at 35mph, if the greyhound is seeing the same obstacles coming at it 10mph faster, and it has the same reaction times then it's more likely to hit one of them....surely?

I wouldn't say that they had reaction times that were faster than any other running dog and while I agree that the dog is running faster, it's not something that I've ever seen as a problem. I've been unfortunate enough to be present when a couple of dogs have hit obstacles, one a collie x grey that hit the handle of a rotavator that was in long grass and died instantly, it punctured the chest and came out of the back. The other was a pure grey that hit a water trough and smashed the left shoulder and pulled the leg back to the middle of the ribcage. We had to shoot her. In both instances i don't think breeding had anything to do with it, it was just one of those things in each instance. In my opinion any dog would've suffered the same injuries.

I've got a 30 " DH x GH that flies through trees and thick cover and scares the life out of me as he brushes against trees with the smallest of gaps. If he slipped at any point it'd be a serious accident. He's very fast but also very agile. When he runs with other dogs, normally bull x's around the 25" mark, I don't notice any difference in how he reacts to obstacles other than the fact that he jumps a lot of stuff easier due to his height.

greyhounds arnt blind but an ex track dog is more likely to get injured over 1 that has been brought up rom a pup as a field worker. thats the only time theres difference and without the speed the greyhound delivers to the lrucher world we should be thankful to it. p.s i hada collie grey which hit a horse jump chasing a rabbit out lmping and died instantly and a mates bull cross broke its back when it hit a ditch flat out and it jumped 5 bar gates fr fun.

Worked an ex track greyhound bitch. Would take fox and hare like the devil but was rubbish on rabbits and couldn't be trusted near ferrets or terriers. She never once ran into anything while lamping.

Lurcher everytime for me but wouldnt mind taking on a greyhound pup to see there ture potential.

Worked an ex track greyhound bitch. Would take fox and hare like the devil but was rubbish on rabbits and couldn't be trusted near ferrets or terriers. She never once ran into anything while lamping.

Lurcher everytime for me but wouldnt mind taking on a greyhound pup to see there ture potential.

oh dont bother mate,there enough greys get kicked from pillar post.stick to a lurcher.

there not shite lol far from it.its just they are a bit eratic for a better word.as a kid i once once wallking one of my dads,seen 3 roe,mate talked me into slipping it.took off like a missle.deer jumped a burn,grey bang straight in burn full of rocks and other shit.only stopped cause the deer jumped a big fence.this f*****g thing was tring to get through a 2inch gap.blood spewing from a severed wrist.was not a fun day in my house lol dog pts and me put to be bed with a f*****g tingling lug all night

• Like 1

This 1 brought up from a pup. roamed the streets like a lot of dogs in the 70s. my mates dads dog used to take him on a mooch everyday. there was often a hare or rabbits hung up in the shed.

ferretingpics197_zpsd6fd8c9a.jpg

• Like 1