KNOWING WHEN TO REST A TERRIER IS THE ACT OF A TERRIER MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE ARE TERRIER MEN AND THEN THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO OWN TERRIERS !!!!!!!!!!

which one are you...........?

i own them .............terrierman no such thing ...................

i havent seen very much and never will ..............but ive seen so called professionals on a short drain , one up one end with draining rods and the other up the other end looking in with a torch and they wondered why it wouldnt bolt ............?

all this terriermen and theres terrier men is aload of pish..........lol

. Id answer you but you might throw the dummy out the pram and start going all of line oh and they wernt terrier men they worked for dynarod. Bud. X

you didnt turn up at bodmin...................i wore my favouroute aftershave ........x

. Did but when i smellt your brut 33. I gave it toes to the jamaca inn. Then the life boat and sloop st ives then the gurnards head ended up in sennen Edited by gonetoearth

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha fanny;-) in my eyes there only animals not f*****g machines, in a dogs first season I'd forgive a few hiccups here and there but in its second season the rules & expectations change for me.

if your dog is not f or the faint hearted you should be glad he has not found in deep spots ....there are a few places I will not drop a stayer in and have walked away from especialy if the place has

KNOWING WHEN TO REST A TERRIER IS THE ACT OF A TERRIER MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE TERRIER MEN AND THEN THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO OWN TERRIERS !!!!!!!!!!

KNOWING WHEN TO REST A TERRIER IS THE ACT OF A TERRIER MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE ARE TERRIER MEN AND THEN THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO OWN TERRIERS !!!!!!!!!!

which one are you...........?

i own them .............terrierman no such thing ...................

i havent seen very much and never will ..............but ive seen so called professionals on a short drain , one up one end with draining rods and the other up the other end looking in with a torch and they wondered why it wouldnt bolt ............?

all this terriermen and theres terrier men is aload of pish..........lol

. Id answer you but you might throw the dummy out the pram and start going all of line oh and they wernt terrier men they worked for dynarod. Bud. X

you didnt turn up at bodmin...................i wore my favouroute aftershave ........x

. Did but when i smellt your brut 33. I gave it toes to the jamaca inn. Then the life boat and sloop st ives then the gurnards head ended up in sennen

i fooking new that was going to happen .................in all honesty my mum said where camouflarge so you couldnt smell me,,,,,,,,,

I am going to stick my neck out here and will probably get shot down in flames but can only say it as ive seen it over the years .....imo I honestly dont think there is that much differance in each terriers scenting capabilities not when to ground anyway ...obviously some terriers have better noses than others but I think that all hunting types of dogs have good scent and in the confines of an earth even in big spots I think that the quarry is not found mainly by scent but a mixture of a lot of things .....I f another dog has been entered the earth before and lifted then another terrier has been entered then I think that would hamper a terrier finding as the scent would be all over the place .....you hear this all the time that to be a good finder they must have a good nose but I dont think there can be that much of a differance in each terriers smelling capabilities ....I may be wrong but food for thought

OOh, cant agree there sorry, how would you explain the following : 3 terriers running loose along a track, one terrier stops puts it's nose in the air, goes down a bank swims a storm drain climbs the oposite bank crosses a track, drops in and bolts two foxes one after the other.

Now the other two terriers never had a clue there was anything there. Can only be difference in scenting ability surely ?

well i cant answer that as I have never seen that ...but what I am say is when a terrier is to ground the scent cannot be that hard to follow ....so imo a terrier that is a good finder does not neceseraly mean it has better scenting abilities than other terriers ....like some people seem to believe ....

ile just let you lot argue it out amongst yourself ... but will say if a terrier leaves quarry i dont think its neccessarily a spewer jacker whatever ye want to call it......ive dug hard dogs dead due to i beleive oxygen levels whose to say the hard dog didnt need a breather if its going hammer and tongs...not saying this cause any of mine have done this cause they havent but in the past seen a dog do this he had a ten minute breather went back then dug to quarry did it spew ?? i dont think so as the job got done ......common sense aint all that common in hunting world and i my self have made many mistakes and still learning every day ...all the best :thumbs:

• Like 1

I'm sorry but if a terrier is working and is as fit as it can be... It should not be popping out for a breather.... What if said terrier was at 9 ft in hard ground your half way down and the terrier pop out for a breather.... Game will move dig on ... And now your looking at a possible deeper dig ...Once I could forgive.... Second time I wouldn't .... Each to there own I suppose but to me that is not what I call a terrier and would not care to keep one

• Like 4

satan todd you may have whats known as a sometimes terrier lol... sometimes he works sometimes he doesnt...

all jokes in the side if he has more than 2 digs say 4.... he still not a working terrier just because hes done 4 digs... hes considered a worker after 2-3 seasons of good steady graft more like... and at that the dog would not have had to put a foot wrong... but it has been said already maybe you have dug him in handy spots v easy like a dog just starting his trade should be... there called confidence builders... and as the terrier sees more time under the sod the bigger the tasks he will be able to complete... maybe you just asked him to fit a staircase while hes only hanging doors at the minute...

and if thats the case i blame the owner more than the dog.... but i dont know you or your dog or standard so all we can do is throw assumptions.... but if your at terriers long enough... you know when you have a gooden even after its 4th dig... and when you have a dodgy 1 your not to sure about... you can usually tell them after there 4th dig too... once again this is just my opinion... :thumbs:

• Like 1

basicaly what im saying is you hear lads saying that dog is a good finder cause it has a good nose but imo there cant be that much differance in idividual terriers scenting capabilities ...if a terrier is in the depth and its quarry is on the move it is only the matter of seconds in front of it so surely it cant be that hard to follow useing scent ....we haave all seen all types of hunting dogs take a line on the surface that is hours old and surely the scent is very diluted ..... I personally dont think there is much of a differance of each terriers scenting capabilties

:thumbs:

I believe it is all down to Desire :yes:

i think a young terrier should be very keen to work needing held back till old enough to work,if it isnt in them there no good, a terrier should want to work deep or shallow desperate to meet its quarry, a terrier walking out when there is something in is not good unless its just going in differnt hole looking to locate,but if walking out when its found is useless,you read threads on here and it makes you wonder what is hapening to terriers,

• Like 1

This threads certainly sorting the wheat from the chaff!!

what the pro view then bud !!!!!

Haha fanny;-) in my eyes there only animals not f*****g machines, in a dogs first season I'd forgive a few hiccups here and there but in its second season the rules & expectations change for me..

As for throwing work at it, yes that would be the way forward but to work a terrier sore is asking for it too walk off the job, but everyone's views of what "sore" is will vary & I'm not getting into that one on the net..

I'd like to see some of the hard men that expect there dogs to do a 100% shift in when worked sore, too get a proper doing and then see the following day if there up to doing it all over again with there swollen hands, bust nose, black eyes. 99.9% wouldn't entertain it as they'd be to busy licking there wounds in bed, f*****g jibbing pussys, lol, but hey its ok because there human, lol.

I expect them to do a job and expect it to be done well but I also understand that there's limits to everything in life, including that of the working terrier...

Keep a iffy terrier winning and stack the odds in its favour and chances are it could well turn out decent, but you start stacking the odds against them then the iffy dog is destined for failure..

• Like 11

Haha fanny;-) in my eyes there only animals not f*****g machines, in a dogs first season I'd forgive a few hiccups here and there but in its second season the rules & expectations change for me..

As for throwing work at it, yes that would be the way forward but to work a terrier sore is asking for it too walk off the job, but everyone's views of what "sore" is will vary & I'm not getting into that one on the net..

I'd like to see some of the hard men that expect there dogs to do a 100% shift in when worked sore, too get a proper doing and then see the following day if there up to doing it all over again with there swollen hands, bust nose, black eyes. 99.9% wouldn't entertain it as they'd be to busy licking there wounds in bed, f*****g jibbing pussys, lol, but hey its ok because there human, lol.

I expect them to do a job and expect it to be done well but I also understand that there's limits to everything in life, including that of the working terrier...

Keep a iffy terrier winning and stack the odds in its favour and chances are it could well turn out decent, but you start stacking the odds against them then the iffy dog is destined for failure..

I like what you wrote there :thumbs:

TUFFTY

as much as it hurts me your spot on ................i aint done much me self and i would value the likes of mr harcombes knowledge and opionions,...........a man who has a dedicated life to digging and seen alot of work .............

i dont know him personally but he knows alot of the earths he works and he decideds what dog will suit a certain earth ...............wheen i read his articles i admire the man when he has a 2/3 year old terrier and says it might be a bit much for this terrier and decides to drop a better suited more exspereinced one in...........

the man knows his stuff and definately knows his terriers limits..........

why the feck would any one work a dog sore is beyond me.............but these harder dogs do serve a purpose................but if your out alot and havent got many terriers then a box clever dog would be more your purpose ...............

alot of dogs get messed up from people not entering them properly ....................thinking there machines ,...chuck a collar on and away you go...........not considering the depth ,size and more importantly the dogs capabilities..................

at the end of the day your dog is there to do a job and if it boxes clever all the better ,as long as it does it well ,.......you and your dog are better off for it...........

i would like to think that i have seen a hard dog and yes it does is job and then it HAS to be rested for a week or two ................is it worth it i wonder sometimes

mummy i dont know anymore

• Like 2