This threads certainly sorting the wheat from the chaff!!

what the pro view then bud !!!!!

Haha fanny;-) in my eyes there only animals not f*****g machines, in a dogs first season I'd forgive a few hiccups here and there but in its second season the rules & expectations change for me..

As for throwing work at it, yes that would be the way forward but to work a terrier sore is asking for it too walk off the job, but everyone's views of what "sore" is will vary & I'm not getting into that one on the net..

I'd like to see some of the hard men that expect there dogs to do a 100% shift in when worked sore, too get a proper doing and then see the following day if there up to doing it all over again with there swollen hands, bust nose, black eyes. 99.9% wouldn't entertain it as they'd be to busy licking there wounds in bed, f*****g jibbing pussys, lol, but hey its ok because there human, lol.

I expect them to do a job and expect it to be done well but I also understand that there's limits to everything in life, including that of the working terrier...

Keep a iffy terrier winning and stack the odds in its favour and chances are it could well turn out decent, but you start stacking the odds against them then the iffy dog is destined for failure..

as much as it hurts me your spot on ................i aint done much me self and i would value the likes of mr harcombes knowledge and opionions,...........a man who has a dedicated life to digging and seen alot of work .............

i dont know him personally but he knows alot of the earths he works and he decideds what dog will suit a certain earth ...............wheen i read his articles i admire the man when he has a 2/3 year old terrier and says it might be a bit much for this terrier and decides to drop a better suited more exspereinced one in...........

the man knows his stuff and definately knows his terriers limits..........

why the feck would any one work a dog sore is beyond me.............but these harder dogs do serve a purpose................but if your out alot and havent got many terriers then a box clever dog would be more your purpose ...............

alot of dogs get messed up from people not entering them properly ....................thinking there machines ,...chuck a collar on and away you go...........not considering the depth ,size and more importantly the dogs capabilities..................

at the end of the day your dog is there to do a job and if it boxes clever all the better ,as long as it does it well ,.......you and your dog are better off for it...........

i would like to think that i have seen a hard dog and yes it does is job and then it HAS to be rested for a week or two ................is it worth it i wonder sometimes

mummy i dont know anymore

Theres different types of HARD terrier in my opinion,

I had one that you could only dig 4 times a year :no:

All dogs are different and ALL digging men are different.

TUFFTY

• Like 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha fanny;-) in my eyes there only animals not f*****g machines, in a dogs first season I'd forgive a few hiccups here and there but in its second season the rules & expectations change for me.

if your dog is not f or the faint hearted you should be glad he has not found in deep spots ....there are a few places I will not drop a stayer in and have walked away from especialy if the place has

KNOWING WHEN TO REST A TERRIER IS THE ACT OF A TERRIER MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE TERRIER MEN AND THEN THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO OWN TERRIERS !!!!!!!!!!

has he been carrying an injury you have missed?maybe why he dont face quarry and says nobody home?been digging to a dog the last few weeks and he has been spot on-tried him boxing day and he bolted 2 from a big old place,then moved on-when he settled and we got a mark it was 3.3/3.5m under 2 big trees and a fenceline running through it-gave him half hour and started to dig-real hard going took half hour to get a metre then we hit compacted shale and it slowed right down.turned around and dog showed outside 1 of the holes-he was in a right sorry state and so we cleaned him up and collared up my little bitch-she flew in and went straight to where the other dog had been-dig back on-4hrs later and we had opened up enough to see the bitch working the quarry-so she was lifted and quarry dispatched-talking to my mate and he said the dog had spewed-but looking back he was still sore from the last few digs the boy had, had with him-my mate reckons the dog knew we couldnt get down to him quick enough so thats why he gave up-what do you think?when i saw the dog work the week before he was real tidy and we where digging him at about 1.5/2m twice the same day without a problem.has anyone else had this happen to them?ive told my mate to rest him fully and then we will see if it was a one off or hes ruined.would of thought that the dog wouldnt care how deep the quarry was judging by how much gusto he had when working on the last few occassions-my view is the dog was sore and walked because he is smart-i could be wrong-what do you all think?interested in anwsers from proper dog men and not the keyboard crew :whistling: atb bobby

In my opinion when a working terrier goes to his quarry there should be no excuse for it to leave it maybe you shouldn't have entered the dog sore but even still he walked and that is that you can lie him up and try him again he might dig 50 more but in the back of your head you will never have full faith in him

Bull shit but that's just me !!!!!!!

what the pro view then bud !!!!!

Haha fanny;-) in my eyes there only animals not f*****g machines, in a dogs first season I'd forgive a few hiccups here and there but in its second season the rules & expectations change for me..

As for throwing work at it, yes that would be the way forward but to work a terrier sore is asking for it too walk off the job, but everyone's views of what "sore" is will vary & I'm not getting into that one on the net..

I'd like to see some of the hard men that expect there dogs to do a 100% shift in when worked sore, too get a proper doing and then see the following day if there up to doing it all over again with there swollen hands, bust nose, black eyes. 99.9% wouldn't entertain it as they'd be to busy licking there wounds in bed, f*****g jibbing pussys, lol, but hey its ok because there human, lol.

I expect them to do a job and expect it to be done well but I also understand that there's limits to everything in life, including that of the working terrier...

Keep a iffy terrier winning and stack the odds in its favour and chances are it could well turn out decent, but you start stacking the odds against them then the iffy dog is destined for failure..

as much as it hurts me your spot on ................i aint done much me self and i would value the likes of mr harcombes knowledge and opionions,...........a man who has a dedicated life to digging and seen alot of work .............

i dont know him personally but he knows alot of the earths he works and he decideds what dog will suit a certain earth ...............wheen i read his articles i admire the man when he has a 2/3 year old terrier and says it might be a bit much for this terrier and decides to drop a better suited more exspereinced one in...........

why the feck would any one work a dog sore is beyond me.............but these harder dogs do serve a purpose................but if your out alot and havent got many terriers then a box clever dog would be more your purpose ...............

alot of dogs get messed up from people not entering them properly ....................thinking there machines ,...chuck a collar on and away you go...........not considering the depth ,size and more importantly the dogs capabilities..................

at the end of the day your dog is there to do a job and if it boxes clever all the better ,as long as it does it well ,.......you and your dog are better off for it...........

i would like to think that i have seen a hard dog and yes it does is job and then it HAS to be rested for a week or two ................is it worth it i wonder sometimes

mummy i dont know anymore

Theres different types of HARD terrier in my opinion,

I had one that you could only dig 4 times a year :no:

All dogs are different and ALL digging men are different.

TUFFTY

have to disagree there ................i swear all the men i go with are all the same .................i mean there cant be too many gay fellas digging surely...........?

mother put the kettle on .............whoop

Wippet-boy if we were all the bloody same we wouldnt be arguing the toss every 5 minutes onthe TERRIER forum,

FACT

TUFFTY

what, do you go out diggin with gay fellas aswell...............?

please dont call me whippet boy as me ma dont like me being called that when i reached 16 years she told me ..........son use a man now ..........

she was a little disapointed when i told her i go out diggin with gays ....................we had to spoof to see who would lean over and look up the tube with the light........

im sure some people were loosing on purpose............. better go ma is calling

Mr Harcombe has been known to double up with inexperienced terriers also with DIRE consequences and he was old enough to know better also!,so he's no genius with all the answers probably still learning new things every year & from mistakes even at his age as we should all be doing ;).The only thing you can say he was man enough to admit he's grevious mistakes in writing.Pedestal's have a nasty habit of toppling over at times :whistling:

• Like 1

Mr Harcombe has been known to double up with inexperienced terriers also with DIRE consequences and he was old enough to know better also!,so he's no genius with all the answers probably still learning new things every year & from mistakes even at his age as we should all be doing ;).The only thing you can say he was man enough to admit he's grevious mistakes in writing.Pedestal's have a nasty habit of toppling over at times :whistling:

is this a fact or another here say ........do you know him personally.........?

satan todd you may have whats known as a sometimes terrier lol... sometimes he works sometimes he doesnt...

all jokes in the side if he has more than 2 digs say 4.... he still not a working terrier just because hes done 4 digs... hes considered a worker after 2-3 seasons of good steady graft more like... and at that the dog would not have had to put a foot wrong... but it has been said already maybe you have dug him in handy spots v easy like a dog just starting his trade should be... there called confidence builders... and as the terrier sees more time under the sod the bigger the tasks he will be able to complete... maybe you just asked him to fit a staircase while hes only hanging doors at the minute...

and if thats the case i blame the owner more than the dog.... but i dont know you or your dog or standard so all we can do is throw assumptions.... but if your at terriers long enough... you know when you have a gooden even after its 4th dig... and when you have a dodgy 1 your not to sure about... you can usually tell them after there 4th dig too... once again this is just my opinion... thumbs.gif

did you even read my post you fecking penis!!!!!!!!!!

satan todd you may have whats known as a sometimes terrier lol... sometimes he works sometimes he doesnt...

all jokes in the side if he has more than 2 digs say 4.... he still not a working terrier just because hes done 4 digs... hes considered a worker after 2-3 seasons of good steady graft more like... and at that the dog would not have had to put a foot wrong... but it has been said already maybe you have dug him in handy spots v easy like a dog just starting his trade should be... there called confidence builders... and as the terrier sees more time under the sod the bigger the tasks he will be able to complete... maybe you just asked him to fit a staircase while hes only hanging doors at the minute...

and if thats the case i blame the owner more than the dog.... but i dont know you or your dog or standard so all we can do is throw assumptions.... but if your at terriers long enough... you know when you have a gooden even after its 4th dig... and when you have a dodgy 1 your not to sure about... you can usually tell them after there 4th dig too... once again this is just my opinion... thumbs.gif

did you even read my post you fecking penis!!!!!!!!!!

Some folk just jump in feet first pal!!

• Like 1