had a discussion the other day with my pal he reconed some dogs are too scared to go deep into some earths even tho they know quarry is down in the depths but i said how does the dog know how deep it is? he just said some dogs are shite and wont go deep into earths think he was referring to mine but didnt want to upset me and say mine just generalised really lol, mine cant find a fox in a dustbin never mind been scared of going in the depths for quarry.....what are others thoughts do terriers know the depths of settes and wont go deep? or could it be lack of nose like mine i think :laugh: well thats my excuse anyway hes a fine looking specimen and i love him so he stays till he does find :D try keep silly comments to yourselfs its a genuine question im intrigued on what others think of this, cheers in advance :thumbs:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha fanny;-) in my eyes there only animals not f*****g machines, in a dogs first season I'd forgive a few hiccups here and there but in its second season the rules & expectations change for me.

if your dog is not f or the faint hearted you should be glad he has not found in deep spots ....there are a few places I will not drop a stayer in and have walked away from especialy if the place has

KNOWING WHEN TO REST A TERRIER IS THE ACT OF A TERRIER MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE TERRIER MEN AND THEN THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO OWN TERRIERS !!!!!!!!!!

i aggree the right dog will go if it knows its there or scents it deep it will find you are bang on ......fook knows whats wrong with mine he cant find for toffe yet hunts rats like a trooper and its not as though hes a jacker as ive dug to him before and shall we say he aint for the faint hearted mate and thats an understatement but yet hes failing to find on 2 occassions now :huh::hmm: its bugging the tits off me any ideas anyone :thumbs:

A dog doesn't know how deep it's gone ! but I've seen dogs have trouble of multi level earths . Of course a dog should find no matter what but some search more than others and will slip down deeper than others. Funny because I've even had ferrets that will work deep while others tend to work more shallow .

• Like 5

A dog doesn't know how deep it's gone ! but I've seen dogs have trouble of multi level earths . Of course a dog should find no matter what but some search more than others and will slip down deeper than others. Funny because I've even had ferrets that will work deep while others tend to work more shallow .

why is this though would you put it down to nose?? or instinct? what is it that makes some better finders and go deeper then others? im thinking nose if the dog wants quarry but im not sure....

how old is the dog, it could be just inexperience

bout 2 n half mate had a few pretty straight forward digs with him and yes your probably right.....its hard finding the tackle to ground all the time though mate and twice hes said no to be proven wrong bit guttering really , cheers :thumbs:

bout 2 n half mate had a few pretty straight forward digs with him and yes your probably right.....its hard finding the tackle to ground all the time though mate and twice hes said no to be proven wrong bit guttering really , cheers :thumbs:

hes still a young un at 2n half, some of mine dont start until there 2. there all diffrent, try get him more easyer spots until your more confident with him. even if it means getting out by yourself . give him a little more time.
  • Like 5

bout 2 n half mate had a few pretty straight forward digs with him and yes your probably right.....its hard finding the tackle to ground all the time though mate and twice hes said no to be proven wrong bit guttering really , cheers thumbs.gif

hes still a young un at 2n half, some of mine dont start until there 2. there all diffrent, try get him more easyer spots until your more confident with him. even if it means getting out by yourself . give him a little more time.

will do cheers alli old mate :thumbs:

I had a mate who had a pup go to ground whilst on a walk the earth was well deep we had to get help recovering him by way of a jcb, he was stuck way way down further than you could hand dig on an old quarry site, daft dog was down there hours it was only a pup never worked but followed his dad buster but as my buster came out he carried on lol.