Aviary Floor And Question's

looking good mate however i would have slabbed or concreted the floor and used large pots that way you can rotate them with some spares and give them chance outside to wash all the guano off :laugh:

I can see how it goes this season Paul.. :thumbs: ..if it does need a solid base all i need to do is get the soil out and fill if full of concrete as i have the shuttering in there already.. :thumbs: ..that will be a last resort though as i hate concrete jungle's.. :D

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a few pic's from today...i have opened the two flight's up next to each other so they have more room to fly about.. .     Two mule Goldies and a irish fancy hen on the teazel     Lu

Here's a pic or two showing a exstention i added to my aviary and the roof bit i left open and this i'm splitting in two and then i'll be changing the layout of the rest of it by spring next year and

This is where i am upto for now..doing it on my own does not help and these dark night's are a ball ache when you want to crack on..not too worry though i will get there in the end..  

looking good mate however i would have slabbed or concreted the floor and used large pots that way you can rotate them with some spares and give them chance outside to wash all the guano off :laugh:

I can see how it goes this season Paul.. :thumbs: ..if it does need a solid base all i need to do is get the soil out and fill if full of concrete as i have the shuttering in there already.. :thumbs: ..that will be a last resort though as i hate concrete jungle's.. :D

im the opposite concrete and slabs everywhere i preffer the pressure washer to the lawnmower :laugh:

I used to have concrete run's and slab's everywhere but it is a nightmare to get rid of when you have a change of plan..which is not uncommon for me.. :D

ive collected and layed slabs everywhere here in the last 7 years fook moving them, i can remember finding a stack of 3 x 2`s on an allotment one night :whistling: you wouldnt believe how many at a time you can get in a berlingo :laugh:

I used to have concrete run's and slab's everywhere but it is a nightmare to get rid of when you have a change of plan..which is not uncommon for me.. :D

ive collected and layed slabs everywhere here in the last 7 years fook moving them, i can remember finding a stack of 3 x 2`s on an allotment one night :whistling: you wouldnt believe how many at a time you can get in a berlingo :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TUFFTY

Nearly there for sure mate,if it were mine i'd put up just a bit more greenery for them to "get right in" for when the wind blows hard and maybe a bit of mesh along the back at the top so you can put off cuts of conifer and such like in,i'd also put in some branches for perches and make the different sizes and this'll help keep the feet healthy.As for the cold there outside anyway mate so they should handle that north cold ok, some of them are bred from geordie birds anyway :laugh:.

• Like 1

If they will all go together for now in one section i will use all i have for now in one section which would make a good bit of cover..and when the weather get's a little better i will plant all 3 of them out with plenty of cover and separate the bird's off..the end one will be the most sheltered so i will fill it up tomorrow with more cover.. :thumbs:

As for perches it's hard to see on the picture but i have them on all four sides but i will stick more in to be on the safe side..and that mesh idea is a good one as i can poke all kind's of shrub off cut's into it and make a good solid wall of cover right the way along the back so they will be plenty of space to stop bullying and bickering..i will get another picture up tomorrow.. :D ..

The one thing that does worry me though is i am not a geordie.. :laugh: ..so the weather issue still worries me.. :D

• Like 1

Would it be wise to put some open fronted boxes in there packed with conifer off cut's so they can go in there if they need to for a bit more shelter from this cold weather..i want to get everything spot on before i put the bird's in there and i don't want to risk them being harmed from this cold weather..

Just re read this and along the lines of the open box thing is a fella who's set up i once looked around had put shuttering up across his flights down from the roof a foot or two so it sort of looked like a box upside down type thing and he has his perches up inside the box so the birds are up and out the way of the wind.He has this in all his flights and he keeps many different sorts of native both softbills and hardbills,but the only thing is any shy birds will spend their time hid up so defeats the object of having them in the first place if you can't see them.Hope i made sence then with the box thing?. :icon_redface:

Should add apart from the redpolls which are seperate for sexing (done by the way :thumbs: )there all in together(easier to catch :laugh: ) so as sure as i can be your'll have no trouble with them all together :victory:

Edited by fireman

Would it be wise to put some open fronted boxes in there packed with conifer off cut's so they can go in there if they need to for a bit more shelter from this cold weather..i want to get everything spot on before i put the bird's in there and i don't want to risk them being harmed from this cold weather..

Just re read this and along the lines of the open box thing is a fella who's set up i once looked around had put shuttering up across his flights down from the roof a foot or two so it sort of looked like a box upside down type thing and he has his perches up inside the box so the birds are up and out the way of the wind.He has this in all his flights and he keeps many different sorts of native both softbills and hardbills,but the only thing is any shy birds will spend their time hid up so defeats the object of having them in the first place if you can't see them.Hope i made sence then with the box thing?. :icon_redface:

like a pelmet :thumbs: could be made temporary :yes:

Should add apart from the redpolls which are seperate for sexing (done by the way :thumbs: )there all in together(easier to catch :laugh: ) so as sure as i can be your'll have no trouble with them all together :victory:

That sound's like a plan.. :thumbs: ..i have some of this stuff in the garage that i'm sure will do as a screen if i cut it in half long way's and double it up.

http://www.crowders.co.uk/buy/plant-and-garden-care/fencing-screening/willow-screen-panel-pack-6-6ft

• Like 1

Should this do the trick..i have thickened the cover up load's put more perches in and then wrapped the doubled up wicker fencing around the cover..they is little gap's in the top for the bird's to slip through aswell as getting in from underneath.. :thumbs: ..the only thing i'm worried about now is it getting too warm in there.. :D

aviarycover001_zps42440d2d.jpg

aviarycover010_zpse14cb1df.jpg

aviarycover014_zps9ea660d2.jpg

• Like 1