Cycling with dog

I agree with you night hunter aswell ,she does get to oppertunity to free run but im conditioning her again after a slight foot injury.But to get out further to see more game it would be easier for me to cycle somewhere with her than walk there

Thats not a bad idea tomo lol stick the game in their on my way back lmao.

Using a hi vis is a great idea and lights ,i did wonder if you can trot them on the roads ,especially when their aint a path ..i know if you where seen by the police using these saftey precautions they would be less likely to pull you .

I take mine through some busy bits dogs are calm and know the score get some funny looks.. Dont think its against the law plenty of meat wagons have drove past me..

If there is a footpath I will have the dogs on that and me in the road on some roads ..

B roads I just cycle in the road.. Some tossers slow right down and rev off again like I am causing some sort of road block they should treat you like any other cyclist or even as you would a horse.. In built up areas you are better on the roads you dont have to stop and cross like pedestrian keep with the flow of traffic..

I take both my dogs at same time, seen them leads you can attach them to frame..

I just make sure mine are empty before getting near busy roads traffic.. I dont put lead on wrist I put it around handle bars looped over back brake lever if they stop suddenly they dont pull your hand away from brake, they will pull the brakes on for you, give you time to react and pull front brakes to :thumbs:

Fuckers stopped rapid once and I was on the deck :laugh: it was on a brand new road so was not open to traffic other wiser that could of been dodgy :icon_redface:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May as well get them the entire kit then aye.  

Out of interest rew why don't you get one of those trailers for kids,,, put the dog in it,, then you can save her energy for when you go lamping on the bike.    

Yeah defo night hunter..   I back mine late summer and early season.. When conditions are not suitable for raking about or running daytime rabbits.   If I have been busy with work, I can bike them

its a must in my book. i do 5 miles at between 8 and 10 mph twice a week through out the season

same here i like to bike mine between 6 and 8 miles a day 3 or 4 days a week and work them 3 days a week with only one or two days rest if they look tired

• Like 1

I can cycle without puttting a lead on fly and she will stop at roads with a wait command,but early last year i was cycling really fast with fly at my side running along .Then all of a sudden a car pulls out ,fly skips around the car and i go over the bonnet .I was lucky not to be hurt but the car took some damage .I did learn from that mistake and shall not be goin so fast again on the busier roads.

Im going to build my dog up ready for a 25 mile run in a months time.will let you know how we do.

Edited by REW
  • Like 1

25 mile? What on earth for? Have yourself a run to Cornwall and have a night out with the Brick and let her run beside the Landy,she'll get 25 mile plus ran on a stack load of bunnies :D ...hope your doing well fella? ATB Andy. ;)

• Like 1

When I'm running mine by the bike it's usually early doors, ie 6 or 7 in the morning (July/August) and there's usually someting around the bridle path for them to sprint after :whistling: somewhere along the way, usually pheasants, rabbit or squirrels.

Other wise I go about 8 mph on a 10 miler or 10 -12 mph on a 5 miler.

Dogs love it and TBH after a week or so of that (2/3 times a week) it doesn't phase them at all, I could lamp them at night after a 5 miler I reckon but I don't get 100 runs a night like some people :laugh:

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

I've done as much as 18 miles with my Bull Terrier and regularly do 15 at a near constant pace but it's not the sort of thing I'd do with a running dog in season. A gentle warm up and 5-10 miles of short (ish) sprints with rest in between would be better although I'm a cyclist and I wouldn't be able to keep pace with a sprinting running dog. Having said that I don't think there's anything wrong with the odd long distance trip as long as it's only part of the training and mainly out of season.

P.S Keep an eye on their pads ;)

• Like 1

I think 3 miles at fast pace is sufficient. Any more detracts from there real job. I have done more miles but dont think it achieves anything cardiovascular wise. Just takes weight off. But its all better than nothing. I do 3 miles at around 12 min. Flirt pole helps I reckon in big loops, nothing to tight.

I usually do 4 mile fast ride 2 times a week n we do that in under 10 mins. N then the rest we do anything from 18.-30 mile plus [bANNED TEXT] we aint out lamping n also my terrier does just as much as the lurcher does as its jus as easy have them both out but my dogs are always free running when out on the bike never have them on the lead